IGNORED

Does S-video cable make that much of a difference

A_Gorilla

The S-Video cable is great! It will give you a much clearer, brighter picture and you will actually be able to enjoy your Jaguar more. I could never go back to a RF connector. It's slightly better than the composite cable, a little bit clearer. If you paid $25 for one that's a good price. Go atari on ebay sometimes sells them for $79.95 BIN! - probably because their getting rarer and their stock is going down.

I can't believe I used the RF cable on my Jag around 1994 and 1995. It sucks. When I ordered a S-Video cable from goatari in 1996 I never went back. Once in a while I will hook up my original RF cable for a good laugh, the picture and sound is so bad and no matter what TV I use there's always the left hand fuzzy lines. I would love a RGB connection, maybe a Scatbox will turn up on eBay.

It's hard to quantify these things because a lot depends on your particular TV set. In my experience, on a scale of 1 to 10 with your average RF being a 5, the Jag cable is a bit fuzzier than normal, say a 4, while the AV composite is a major improvement, say a 7 or 8. The SVideo is a bit crisper yet, say an 8 or 9.

As for value, $25 is okay. If you're patient you can get them on ebay for $25 to $30 - that is, if ebay speculator sweetsstuf4u doesn't beat you to it.

Edited by ls650

It's hard to quantify these things because a lot depends on your particular TV set. In my experience, on a scale of 1 to 10 with your average RF being a 5, the Jag cable is a bit fuzzier than normal, say a 4, while the AV composite is a major improvement, say a 7 or 8. The SVideo is a bit crisper yet, say an 8 or 9.

As for value, $25 is okay. If you're patient you can get them on ebay for $25 to $30 - that is, if ebay speculator sweetsstuf4u doesn't beat you to it.

Well, Guess what, I ACTUALLY OUTBID HIM FOR IT! At the last 20 seconds of the auction I put my max bid of $30, he never had time to counter-bid HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I won't use the RF cable.

Composite is far better, but reds may bleed.

S-video is very shark, but reds are muted and can look pink. <----- It seems as though I am the only one that finds the colors are muted.

$25 is great.

Never overspend on a video cable because you can get a new aftermarket cable for around $20.

I bout a 12' one. They also include a composite connector in case you need that at some time too.

Everybody knows the RF unit was poorly built and was subject to much interference, (the cable was not properly shielded) the Jag RF unit has such a poor picture, I think everybody has at least a composite cable, so this explains the somewhat short supply of vintage Atari Jaguar video cables. Atari themselves, were dissapointed with the production of their Jag RF units, and they knew there wasn't enough shielding on the cable, but it was too late and they were already shipping.

If you need a Jag S-video cable just buy it from Rick Deftleson at "More Than Games" for $16.00 + s/h. Works just as good as an official Atari cable. Should be listed in the JSII Jaguar retailers pinned thread.

On all my RF units and many other people's too, it produces those fuzzy lines down the left side about an inch or two out. Quite often it produces crappy junk all over the TV picture. It makes it very irritating to play games with, for sure, and hard to see what your doing in dark areas. But, on newer TVs it seems to be diminished.

Jaguar Cables

Edited by ovalbugmann

Everybody knows the RF unit was poorly built and was subject to much interference, (the cable was not properly shielded) the Jag RF unit has such a poor picture, I think everybody has at least a composite cable, so this explains the somewhat short supply of vintage Atari Jaguar video cables. Atari themselves, were dissapointed with the production of their Jag RF units, and they knew there wasn't enough shielding on the cable, but it was too late and they were already shipping.

If you need a Jag S-video cable just buy it from Rick Deftleson at "More Than Games" for $16.00 + s/h. Works just as good as an official Atari cable. Should be listed in the JSII Jaguar retailers pinned thread.

On all my RF units and many other people's too, it produces those fuzzy lines down the left side about an inch or two out. Quite often it produces crappy junk all over the TV picture. It makes it very irritating to play games with, for sure, and hard to see what your doing in dark areas. But, on newer TVs it seems to be diminished.

Jaguar Cables

RGB cable is the best :cool:

In about 2001, I bought a lot of about 10 of them, all in boxes for about $20. I used 2, and resold the rest for 10-15 each. I have since sold my jaguar. The prices on these items sure jacked up!!! Kind of pisses me off, cuz i wanna buy a jag again.

Im sure it wouldnt be hard to make one of these cables. Just finding out what the connector is called that plugs into the jaguar's a/v port is the hard part. If anyone knows what thats called, pm me!

I would love a RGB connection, maybe a Scatbox will turn up on eBay.
You don't need a ScatBox for this, an RGB cable and a TV with a SCART connector is enough (and much cheaper ;) ).

Just finding out what the connector is called that plugs into the jaguar's a/v port is the hard part. If anyone knows what thats called, pm me!
It's called a "card edge" connector (google it). The trouble is that the number of contacts Atari used is uncommon. Edited by Zerosquare

You don't need a ScatBox for this, an RGB cable and a TV with a SCART connector is enough (and much cheaper ;) ).

Just finding out what the connector is called that plugs into the jaguar's a/v port is the hard part. If anyone knows what thats called, pm me!
It's called a "card edge" connector (google it). The trouble is that the number of contacts Atari used is uncommon.

LOL,SCATBOXES ON EBAY WILL FETCH BIG $$$$,LOL...... :cool:

It's called a "card edge" connector (google it). The trouble is that the number of contacts Atari used is uncommon.

Do you happen to know how many pins?

Do you happen to know how many pins?
24 pins, 0.1 inch spacing. By the way, here's the pinout :

post-8748-1181596964_thumb.jpg

Awesome.

I wonder if THESE would work? Not sure how you crimp those pins...

These connectors are pretty elusive... $5 is alot for that.

Edited by SINGLE TOOTH

S-video is definately a HUGE leap over RF, and IMHO a good leap above Composite A/V as well, The S-video, as stated, stops the red (and sometimes blue) color bleeding of standard composite A/V, and also stops the "edge crawl" that is noticable with composite A/V, especially on reds. As far as colors being muted and red looking pink with the S-video cable, I have to say it's that person's TV/monitor or something, becuase the colors can't get more vibrant unless you can get/make a RGB cable for and RGB monitor (like Atari or Commodore monitors). Even games like Club Drive where it's sometimes hard to distinguish between on polygon and another with RF or Composite, are VERY sharp and clear with S-video...it makes a WORLD of difference IMHO...though I use both S-video and RGB; sometimes I want the sharpest most vibrant picture (RGB), but sometimes I want the larger screen of my TV, so S-video is the only way to go there. It would be cool if someone made a converter box so Jaguar RGB could be converted into Component Video for more modern TV's, THAT would be the ultimate; RGB quality on a larger screen TV!

I just finished building the cable myself. Actually, Its more of a box. I Just have composite video and stereo sound for now, but I plan to put S-video and RGB connectors on the box when I buy the parts.

I recommend to anyone to build your own cable. Its super easy, and it is cheap. I built mine using spare parts for free. Otherwise it would probably cost you a few bucks.

Maybe you should take a few photos and write up a "how to" for those of us who are ham-fisted.

You could post them here or even create a simple web page somewhere.

Hmmm, not a bad choice. Not a bad choice at all...

BTW, why are you using a 5in B&W tv?

If I came over and saw that, I would ensure you got a decent set.

Edited by SINGLE TOOTH

I had a nice 20" color but I'm moving from Mexico back north to Canada next month. Someone offered me a very good price for my TV and DVD player together, so I sold them - but now I'm using this dinky little B&W to tide me over until I get back up north and buy another TV.

I should have a decent color TV again by late July.

Edited by ls650

sometimes I want the sharpest most vibrant picture (RGB), but sometimes I want the larger screen of my TV, so S-video is the only way to go there. It would be cool if someone made a converter box so Jaguar RGB could be converted into Component Video for more modern TV's, THAT would be the ultimate; RGB quality on a larger screen TV!

You should look at JROK's RGB to component converter. Pretty easy to hook up and great for getting older systems on newer tv's. Check it out here. I've been using it for my SNES, N64, Genesis, and Neo-Geo AES. It rocks. Let me know if you have any questions about it.

• 6 months later...

Jaguar Cables

I've been wanting an S-Video cable for a while now but it's very hard to find the official one. However, if this homebrew one does indeed work as well as the official one, then I'll go ahead and get it. The link above doesn't work anymore; it took me a little exploring to find the current working one:

http://morethangames.a8maestro.com/prodgame/advert-g4.htm

Also, there's someone from Poland on eBay right now selling some homebrew ones:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Atari-Jaguar-S-VIDEO-A...1QQcmdZViewItem

Anyone know anything about these? Any more comments about Rick's? One way or another, I'll end up getting one of them.