IGNORED

What does XEP80 display look like?

Tyrop

I have it hooked to a Commodore 1082 monitor. I would like 80 columns mainly for Mac/65. I put a lot of comments in my code and I'm finding 40 columns a little limiting.

I have one I can sell you in the box. Only thing is. I dont have power supply for it. Anyone know where to get one, or what other atari products use the same one?

I have a couple. I'll try and get one hooked up and do a screen shot, since I'm porting my video through a capture card in a PC. I should be able to get a few good screen shots. Plus, I have a copy of AtariWriter80 that I will screen shoot also.

Edited by Guitarman

OK. Here are some screen captures of the XEP80. The output is running into my Dell SIO2PC station through a ATI video capture card. I was actually suprised at the output running it this way. Very nice.

Here using AtariWriter80

post-6701-1181792645_thumb.jpgpost-6701-1181792655_thumb.jpgpost-6701-1181792661_thumb.jpg

Here using the XEP80 Boot Disk (DOS 2.5)

post-6701-1181792668_thumb.jpgpost-6701-1181792674_thumb.jpg

Here using BASIC

post-6701-1181792680_thumb.jpg

I hope this gives a good idea of what the XEP80 looks like.

• Like 1

I have one I can sell you in the box. Only thing is. I dont have power supply for it. Anyone know where to get one, or what other atari products use the same one?

It uses the same PS as the 2600 or SX212. Could also use a standard PS with output of 9VDC, 500mA, 1/4" tip/sleeve connector, tip+, sleeve-.

Edited by Guitarman

OK. Here are some screen captures of the XEP80. The output is running into my Dell SIO2PC station through a ATI video capture card. I was actually suprised at the output running it this way. Very nice.

(snip...)

I hope this gives a good idea of what the XEP80 looks like.

A couple of questions -- You indicate using the XEP80 with an ATI capture card. Which card are you using. I have 3 different AIW cards, and none will reproduce the XEP80 monochrome signal. Does your XEP80 display overscan the screen? How many lines and how many columns can you display? On NTSC systems, the XEP80 frequently can display no more than 23 lines and 78 columns (sometimes less). And being monochrome, the XEP80 signal cannot be reproduced by many modern display devices.

-Larry

A couple of questions -- You indicate using the XEP80 with an ATI capture card. Which card are you using. I have 3 different AIW cards, and none will reproduce the XEP80 monochrome signal.

I have an old ATI TV tuner card that also has a composite video in jack. That is what it is connected to. It should work on any capture card with composite in jack.

Does your XEP80 display overscan the screen? How many lines and how many columns can you display?

When used with a regular monitor (I tried it with a Commodore 1802), the picture from the XEP80 did run off the left side of the screen a bit. Just adjust the horizontal size of the monitor. Through the capture card, I was running it in a window and saw exactly what was in the captures.

On NTSC systems, the XEP80 frequently can display no more than 23 lines and 78 columns (sometimes less). And being monochrome, the XEP80 signal cannot be reproduced by many modern display devices.

The XEP80 output is standard composite and should work on anything with a video in jack.

Looks great... I am going to have to get my XEP-80 out and see how well it does. Software has to support it ... correct??

Most, yes. I think most text based apps that sit on top of DOS will probably work. Just load the app from a disk with DOS and the driver on it. Atariwriter80 has its own driver on the media. Cart based programming languages should all work. I think there are other apps that support it directly but I'm not sure which.

Here is some info I found.

All programs that use the standard screen call (E:) should be compatible with the XEP80 Module. The software provided by Atari supports a 320x200 graphics mode - this mode only support direct bit images. Note that you can't use all of the standard graphic capabilities of the Atari anymore.

Although Atari recommends a monochrome monitor for usage with the XEP80, it runs fine with any type of composite monitor. The output looks great on a Commodore 1084 for example.

Along with the module comes a software-package containing an AUTORUN.SYS file, which is the XEP80 handler. If you want to use the module with an application that is compatible with the XEP80, which has it's own AUTORUN.SYS file, you can append the application's AUTORUN.SYS on the module's AUTORUN.SYS.

Editors for the XEP80:

AtariWriter 80 by Atari

TurboWord by MicroMiser

emacs subset by Stan Lackey

MAE and its previous standalone editor ED

• Like 1

• 16 years later...

The Atari F.A.Q. should be corrected to call the programs by name

EMAX

EMAXS

EMAXR

*S is for SpartaDOS and R is for Atari DOS but resides under ROM

some people wanted to call it AMAX or AMACS in their collections. This is how programs get lost to time.

Edited by _The Doctor__

• 3 weeks later...