IGNORED

MULE WARS teaser

Allas

I prepared a video of this strategy game. You can find he complete version as a member of ABBUC club or buying the ABBUC magazine. Otherside you have to wait until November when the game will be launched for free.

It took me 8 months to developed and I finished just at time. Is a sequel of MULE game, and every metch take a long time, so on the video only show some seconds. Thanks Squivel for the music and Cybernoid for the technical help on critical stages.

Mule Wars video

Wow, that looks interesting. Can´t wait for the magazine anymore :roll:

Let me start saying: it looks very good. You've did a nice job on that. Especially the map looks very good. (The characters are a little bit too old-school PM graphics IMO, but ok they are still cool)

I don't like mule. I never like games like that. So that is my problem ofcourse, but besides that: nice to see you made something new for a8.

And I think it is good idea to release such teasers. I think more people should make such movies for their products!

Keep doing the great work.

Marius

Well,

I never owned / played MULE (unbelievable eh?) but I did play Lords of Conquest (owned the original disk and manual from EA) for a while. Hopefully Mule Wars is better than that... Cannot comment on Colonial Conquest (SSI) though...

Besides, the game RISK exists (afaik) only as an unfinished prototype. But there is also a text-only version available, which I find quite playable (of course only if you know Risk and its layout of continents and countries). This text version appeared in the german diskmagazine Diskline and also uses german language (and abbreviations)... -Andreas Koch.

Thanks for the words.

As all we can see on the video is a Risk-type game. Maybe someone knows a game called Dice wars, well... it's based on that. It's designed for 1-7 human players. So, there are IA for enemies turns. But the addiction of the game increase a lot with human truces, betrayals, etc :lol:

This game was difficult to represent on screen due to the low amount of colors that Atari graphics modes have. So, most of the time I waste designing the appropriate method to display until 9 colors on map screen. At least on my NTSC machine I'm satisfied with the results, I never got many info about how could it be on PAL monitors, but I'll know soon.

Looks colourful- I counted at least 6 on a line.

I had an idea years ago for a Mule sequel - it would have been similar to the original except with extra stuff like satellites that could generate power, and the ability to defend against pirates pillaging stuff.

Really, there is a distinct lack of resource management type games (or, the ones I like at least).

Aside from Mule, about the only ones I played a lot were Millenium 2.2 and Megalomaniac.

Thanks again.

Yes, when I started to define how it could be the engine map, I remember map graphics of Lord of Conquest. I never played LOF before, but in his time impress me the graphics because the good quality of draws on text mode. I used Envision tool to generate something similar, but with some problems because ground needs to represent 7 players on screen. Some chars are created at the fly in the game.

I had take a time to think about other external variations that affect the game. But, always I finished thinking that it should ruins the fun. Maybe things like that should be taken with more time and careful planning. (at least 2 years :lol:)

Edited by Allas

Thanks Squivel for the music and Cybernoid for the technical help on critical stages.

No problem. Happy to help, besides I thought you were working on a Mule based strategy game so I made sure to debug and respond quickly to see this game work!

Great job!!!

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
The final version have 9 levels, and have some important changes and adds. The work is very slow because i'm working on 3 games at the same time.

Wow, I didn't know you were still programmming on the Atari 8-bits to this date... nice tribute to M.U.L.E., should show it to IAQ some time...

I think you may like to know that several years ago, I uploaded a disk image of the (never released) Informática Creativa Diskette #1, with permission from IAQ. It included some of your programs too. You can find it here:

http://www.umich.edu/~archive/atari/8bit/Magazines/

I had been waiting for your game "ACCIÓN" to be published with issue #3 back then, but that never happened... I remember playtesting it for a while at IAQ's all this time ago. (BTW, don't know if you heard, IAQ's mother sadly passed away this tuesday...)

Edited by machf

The final version have 9 levels, and have some important changes and adds. The work is very slow because i'm working on 3 games at the same time.

Wow, I didn't know you were still programmming on the Atari 8-bits to this date... nice tribute to M.U.L.E., should show it to IAQ some time...

I think you may like to know that several years ago, I uploaded a disk image of the (never released) Informática Creativa Diskette #1, with permission from IAQ. It included some of your programs too. You can find it here:

http://www.umich.edu/~archive/atari/8bit/Magazines/

I had been waiting for your game "ACCIÓN" to be published with issue #3 back then, but that never happened... I remember playtesting it for a while at IAQ's all this time ago. (BTW, don't know if you heard, IAQ's mother sadly passed away this tuesday...)

Thanks, I founded a year ago the Creative disk image, it surprise me and give some good regards. But it would be nice to view the scanned magazine on internet, because I lost my own collection.

Just I restarted working on Atari, doing a reprogramming of ACCION, and it should be easy to find the executable on Atarimania web site.

I think I met you, some years ago, on a Star Trek Club. I never suspected you are a Atari enthusiast too. However, is good to know a Peruvian interested on Atari computers still. I didn't know about IAQ mother's, it's a pity, I hope God give him enough strength to go ahead, really hard moments.

I know IAQ have unpublished Atari programs by his own work, it would be a great idea if he would interested on organize some of them to publish on Atari community. If you have some programs, don't wait, release them. I can help with my computer and accessories to pass the diskettes files to PC files. Don't let the programs die!

Regards

Edited by Allas

Thanks, I founded a year ago the Creative disk image, it surprise me and give some good regards. But it would be nice to view the scanned magazine on internet, because I lost my own collection.

I'll ask IAQ about that when I see him... maybe this week. Although I believe he's still selling them as "collector's issues" nowadays (at least, the few remaining Atari Creativo #0 ones). From the later issues of Informática Creativa (#1&2) he had several issues lying around, I believe that was one of the reasons #3 never got published (too few sales). Later he started publishing the Sugoi anime magazine, which is still around (latest issue had just been published last week).

Just I restarted working on Atari, doing a reprogramming of ACCION, and it should be easy to find the executable on Atarimania web site.

I think I met you, some years ago, on a Star Trek Club. I never suspected you are a Atari enthusiast too. However, is good to know a Peruvian interested on Atari computers still.

I didn't realize we had met there... I would have recognized your name if I heard it. Same to you.

I didn't know about IAQ mother's, it's a pity, I hope God give him enough strength to go ahead, really hard moments.

I know IAQ have unpublished Atari programs by his own work, it would be a great idea if he would interested on organize some of them to publish on Atari community. If you have some programs, don't wait, release them. I can help with my computer and accessories to pass the diskettes files to PC files. Don't let the programs die!

I'll try to hook up my Pentium 3 (that one still has a 5.25" FDD and the needed programs to read DD Atari diskettes). In the meantime, I still have some on my old page:

http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/2645/atari.html

http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/2645/A8/

Regards

Likewise.