IGNORED

WIP - Hero quest themed shooter.

Robert M

I am working a shooter game with a adventure/hero theme. I have been posting about it in my blog, but I think it is progressing far enough that I want some feedback from the community on how it looks and plays. The player and one wave of enemies is animated and working. There is no collision detection and no sound. Joy1 controls the hero - left and right to run, up and down for shield, and fire to attack. Your shield is not available while attacking.

Comments/ideas are welcome.

{Edit! New bin posted:}

main017.txt.bin

BTW! I am posting the source code in my blog. If anyone learning how to program in bBasic has any questions about how the code works don't hesitate to ask in my blog.

Cheers!

Edited by Robert M

Only suggestions so far would be to use a life counter for lives and health counter for the "shield left" (if you are doing this in bB). And some sort of big boss at the end that you have to keep hitting to kill it.

Yeah, I am debating whether I want to give the player a single life with a "hit points" style health meter, or the classic shooter "one-hit-you're-dead" model with a rack of lives. The difference is subtle, but I think it would set the tone of the game as more of an "adventure" versus a "shooter".

Also I need to choose a design for the player's shield. I could limit the amount of time the shield can be raised. I would have it fade away, and then regenerate when the player is not using it. Or, I could give the player "N" shield hits and let the player raise the shield as long as wanted until all available hits are taken off.

Yes, I do have a end boss in my plans,.

Thanks for the feedback, keep it coming.

This is nice! This game can take advantage of the shield feature which I believe makes the game so involving. It's a simple concept and the graphics are colorful and attractive. I like the way the sword "glows" and the way the player character animates when moving and kneels down with the shield active.

I'd suggest a change in the control scheme where the shield is activated upon 'holding down' the fire button for more than 1 second and then firing a shot when the button is 'released' any time afterward.

This will leave the up and down controls free for use with any other ideas that may present itself.

Here's a way to limit the use of the shield:

- Have two kinds of player shots, a normal narrow shot and a wide shot (which you have now).

- The wide shot can only be used after the shield is activated and 'button released'.

- Normal narrow shots are fired when the button is pressed and released right away.

(the shield comes up after 1 sec of holding the button down)

- Limit the amount of hit points (HP) the shield can take and show signs of a fading shield when

there's only a couple of hits left before it goes down completely.

- The shield remains available as long as the sword has that glowing aura. (the aura goes out when

the shield's HP is exhausted)

- Once the shield is wiped out of all it's HP and the sword's aura disappears, the player cannot use

the shield or the wide shot again until the next wave.

- The sword's aura can change color in three stages as the shield's HP drains from enemy hits or

increases by defeating enemies. ie:blue=max, yellow=half, red=low.

- The shield can regenerate while it's still available (aura is present) by hitting enemies only with the

narrow shots (not the wide). ie: hitting 3 large enemies adds 1 HP to the shield;

hitting 2 small enemies adds 1 HP.

- Additionaly, you can have two kinds of enemy fire shots: 1 hit to the shield by a large enemy drains

2 HP while 1 hit by a small enemy drains 1 HP.

- A direct hit will cost the player a life. (I recommend 3 lives to start) The next life, if any remain,

should start with a maxed out blue aura.

I'd also like to recommend as a suggestion some additional stages where the enemy can hide behind the playfield cave stags to add some challange and varity.

post-7623-1191853363_thumb.png

The objective here could be to keep your sword's aura maxed out as much as possible before reaching

the boss stage where any chance to regenerate your shield is unlikely. Perhaps defeating the boss can increase your shield's max HP for the next tougher boss to reach?

This is a splendid approach you got here Robert!

Maybe on a different level might be to have the adventurer have to leap from "floating" island to island. If you did that maybe to fire (up) you would have to point up while you pressed the button. It could be a little like joust, except with the flying bats/demons and no ostriches or eggs. And you could propel yourself upwards with a shield. Just an idea.

Edited by Fort Apocalypse

I'd suggest a change in the control scheme where the shield is activated upon 'holding down' the fire button for more than 1 second and then firing a shot when the button is 'released' any time afterward.

This will leave the up and down controls free for use with any other ideas that may present itself.

I don't want to make the player wait a second for the shield to go up. I think it needs to be immediate or the player will become frustrated. I might consider some sort of charging move to attack, but not to defend.

Here's a way to limit the use of the shield:

- Have two kinds of player shots, a normal narrow shot and a wide shot (which you have now).

The idea of different shots might be doable, and it might fit into a charging scheme to get a more powerful blast. I will have to think about that idea some more.

- Once the shield is wiped out of all it's HP and the sword's aura disappears, the player cannot use

the shield or the wide shot again until the next wave.

- The sword's aura can change color in three stages as the shield's HP drains from enemy hits or

increases by defeating enemies. ie:blue=max, yellow=half, red=low.

Yes, I am tinkering with some similar schemes to use color to indicate power levels. Recharging from killing enemies is an interesting idea.

I'd also like to recommend as a suggestion some additional stages where the enemy can hide behind the playfield cave stags to add some challange and varity.

That's another interesting idea, but I don't know if I can make it look convincing with the method I am using to move the enemies around. They are riding on a rail of sorts, and I would want to be able to route the rail around such obstacles which may be difficult.

This is a splendid approach you got here Robert!

Thanks for the constructive feedback!

Maybe on a different level might be to have the adventurer have to leap from "floating" island to island. If you did that maybe to fire (up) you would have to point up while you pressed the button. It could be a little like joust, except with the flying bats/demons and no ostriches or eggs. And you could propel yourself upwards with a shield. Just an idea.

I wasn't planning on letting the player leave the bottom of the playfield, but as the game progresses it may become a usable idea. I am looking into giving the player a defensive roll move done by pushing diagonally down. I could also add a jump by pushing up to jump over things crawling along the ground.

Thanks for the feedback!

I have posted a new bin at the top of the thread. Added:

- Life and Shield strength bars at the bottom of the screen. Life is on the left, shield strength is on the right.

- Collision detection of enemy shots and sprites hitting the player.

- The shield protects the player from hits but loses strength.

- Enemy bats swoop down at the player to claw and bite him. (The shield protects, but depletes fast)

- Player shot looks different from shield.

- Some color changes.

- The player's color flashes when he is hit. The player is invulnerable while flashing.

Comments/feedback are welcome. I will look into adding collision detection to allow the player to shoot the bats next.

Cheers!

I have posted a new bin at the top of the thread. The bat level is pretty much completed at this point. All that is missing is scoring, sound fx, and realizing the level is completed.

Changes from last bin:

- The player can shoot the enemy bats and they die with a fade animation that I stole from my Wolfenstien hack.

- The bats start the level by swooping down from the ceiling.

- Modified the enemy firing code so that enemy shots don't get clumped together so much.

Feedback requested:

- Is the gameplay too easy or hard?

- Is it any fun?

I will post the source in my project blog sometime tomorrow after I get some sleep.

Cheers!

Edited by Robert M

Well, it's quite easy at the moment. I guess there are ways to improve the difficulty that are already in your mind other than most of what I proposed. Why not you suggest to us more of where you want your game to go and we'll add ideas from there? You did mention having objects to avoid on the same ground as the player which I think is a good idea and I think Fort apocalypse's idea of floting islands to jump on is a good one if the player is allowed to shoot sideways as well.

I also noticed you have the shield regenerating forever and I do feel that the shield should not be available once it's been completely exhausted, but that's something I already suggested eariler so perhaps this forever shield is just a bug you have not known about yet?

As for fun. I don't know. I'm basicaly just shooting bats upward like any standard shooter. The graphics and theme is kinda fun to look at and is a nice presentation but the gameplay needs alot more to hold interest.

I do have other ideas but I'd like to hear other people's suggestions too since I have made several already and others may have better ideas than mine. :ponder:

I think the game is looking good. I like the idea. What other enemies do you plan on putting in the game? I would kinda like to see another game screen like a vertical scrolling shooter. Maybe as a bonus level or every couple of levels. I like the adventure themed shooter idea and I think a vertical scrolling level would be cool to go with the one you already have. I haven't tried the latest bin yet but will surely leave some feedback when I do. I like the previous bins I tried so far.

-Legend

Played the new version a couple times tonight. still a good game, but it is pretty easy. I noticed that when the bats got down close to the player, they couldn't be shot. I don't know if it's a bug or meant to be that way. More challenging play would be cool. The bat death sequence could be spruced up a bit too to look cooler. Just a few thoughts. Keep up the good work.

-Legend

Alright, so it seems people feel it is too easy. Although I want to stress that the bats are the first level, and I don't want the first level to be too difficult. I want the game to get steadily harder. I think I will put shield regeneration speed under control of difficulty switches.

Also, I see this game as a classic shooter with the player stuck on the bottom of the screen. The warrior motif is just for color, but it could just as well be a spaceship or a clown throwing water balloons.

I do see giving the player the ability to jump, and then having enemy attacks that zip along the bottom of the screen and the player would have to jump over them while managing the enemies flying above. Think Moon Patrol with a hero in a cave theme and you can see where I am going with this.

Thanks for the feedback.

This is great!

BTW - I love moon patrol! I'm not sure what a scrolling/jumping shooter would look like with this, but it would be interesting for sure. I think that having things run at you from the sides and having to jump over them, or having to jump from platform to platform and retrieve something would be cool. This reminds me a little tiny bit of Dark Castle (because of the bats and the cave). Boy Dark Castle would be neat to bring to the 2600.

I just played it and had these thoughts:

* I also experienced the deal with not being able to shoot the bat when it was too close, but it wasn't a big deal (In real life if a huge bat were that close, I'd be a little distracted and have a harder time shooting it, but some may make the opposite argument that it would be easier to shoot.)

* When I wasn't using the shield and touched a bat I thought I'd die, but I didn't. It might be better to die and have a life counter instead of health?

* If the bats either dropped their bombs when they were closer to you and if their bombs could drift toward the player, that would make it a little more difficult.

* It might be better if the player could move just a little faster (but not much).

* I think replacing some bats with more bats might be good. So something like if you kill a bat, more bats appear until you've killed like 20 bats. Having bats drop down from the ceiling would be cool.

Edited by Fort Apocalypse

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...