IGNORED

Mario Bros. 2007

_Fandal_

Is this the XE version that has been hacked or is it the unreleased early eighties version?

It's looks like it is from the 5200 version. The major differences appear to be a title screen similar to the XE version with some music added, and enhanced graphics and color changes at the top and bottom. Probably some other minor graphics/color tweaks Unfortunately it still doesn't fix bugs like clearing the trigger latch at the start of a level, so you don't start out jumping if you cleared a screen jumping. Definitely an improvement but doesn't compare to the XE version. It also seems to require an XL or XE.

That's nice for 64Kb users. Good job!

And its nice to see a game enhanced with few DLIs, better graphics, sound and intro. Really impressive.

There is a lot of simple cool games on Atari that worth to enhanced in this way.

Edited by Allas

Or maybe let's call it...

The long lost 1986 Ocean version... ;-)

It's a great hack but I do have two comments:

A) the music heard during the intro screen doesn't do it for me (it's a question of taste but the intro cue is radically different compared to the "in game" music).

B) the intro screen is borrowed from the XE version (Sculptured Software) and really feels out of place compared to the 1983 prototype (even in its hacked version). I've attached the C64 Load Screen from the Ocean release as a comparison piece.

Good night,

Pierre André.

post-15996-1193120082_thumb.jpg

post-15996-1193120093_thumb.jpg

Mario Bros. A5200 is the best version for all 8-bit Atari's (best graphics and animation), Mario2007 is enhanced A5200 version

Mario Bros XE (cart version) has only nice introduction, animation and graphics is poor, programming sprite engine is too slow

Mario Bros. A5200 is the best version for all 8-bit Atari's (best graphics and animation), Mario2007 is enhanced A5200 version

Mario Bros XE (cart version) has only nice introduction, animation and graphics is poor, programming sprite engine is too slow

Are you sure you are not mixing the two up on the animation, graphics, and sprite engine??? I can't think of any way the 5200 version is better than the xe cart version, other than its weird physics can be fun in two player games, like a player being stuck bouncing straight up and down on top of the other player, where the other player can then keep you stuck there until an enemy comes and then move an let you drop.

Are you sure you are not mixing the two up on the animation, graphics, and sprite engine??? I can't think of any way the 5200 version is better than the xe cart version, other than its weird physics can be fun in two player games, like a player being stuck bouncing straight up and down on top of the other player, where the other player can then keep you stuck there until an enemy comes and then move an let you drop.

And don't forget there is a way (I forget) to (throw?) the other player into one of the enemies. It's hard to do because both players have to be in the right positions but does happen once in a while. I remember playing Mario Bros. for hours with my friend. That and Joust are great two-player games.

Allan

Couldn't disagree more. The XE version is as close to perfection as any arcade port to an A8 I've ever seen.

• 3 years later...

I certainly respect the effort, but I don't quite understand what the point is when we've already got the superior Steve Coleman XE version. Are they trying to make a better Mario Brothers that fits in a smaller ROM than the XE version?

Did Steve Coleman do the actual programming for the XE version? Does anyone know where he is today? I'm doing research for a Mario Bros for Atari XE review. The programmer for Into the Eagles nest gave me a lot of juicy info so I'm hoping for the same for Mario bros.

My chan: http://www.YouTube.com/Ketilsgeektv

Maybe the XE Mario Bros isn't PAL friendly?

I certainly respect the effort, but I don't quite understand what the point is when we've already got the superior Steve Coleman XE version. Are they trying to make a better Mario Brothers that fits in a smaller ROM than the XE version?

Did Steve Coleman do the actual programming for the XE version? Does anyone know where he is today? I'm doing research for a Mario Bros for Atari XE review. The programmer for Into the Eagles nest gave me a lot of juicy info so I'm hoping for the same for Mario bros.

My chan: http://www.YouTube.com/Ketilsgeektv

Did you do an interview with him? Would love to hear/read what he had to say.

Allan

• 1 year later...