IGNORED

Games that were sub-par arcade games but superior VCS games.

PressureCooker2600

I just got done playing a long bout of Taito Legends and Midway Arcade Treasures. Both compilations are excellent.....especially for keeping hi-scores. :D

But am I the only one who thinks that Phoenix and Jungle Hunt are MUCH better on the 2600. The arcade originals are great but they don't have that "feel" to them. The 2600 versions, IMO, are a lot funner.

What do ya'll think?

Well I wouldn't dream of saying the coin-op was sub-par, but I prefer VCS Frogger over any other version.

The Starpath version of Frogger?

I dunno, I can't think of any 2600 games that are better than their arcade counterparts.

Joust! The VCS version of it is ten times better than the arcade. The floating eggs are the squirrel's bucket of the whole deal.

WP

I'd say 2600 Battlezone might be considered superior depending on your tastes. It's definitely colorful and frantic once it gets moving.

Hard to say any 2600 games are genuinely superior to the arcade versions (Pong? Breakout? Combat?), but I could easily see some games being preferable for some due to the diferences and/or limitations between the versions.

Edited by Feralstorm

This may not count, but I would have to say that with all it's options, Video Olympics is probably the pinnacle of Pong playing!

:)

i agree! some of my friends and i still play this for hours at a time. my fav is hockey. i'm unstopable at that one :cool:

i'd have to say that most arcade versions were superior back in the day, but the 2600 versions were more playable, and thus more fun to me. arcade games are made to do one thing, and that is suck down the quarters like it's going out of style

Jungle Hunt was way better in the arcade! I can't think of a single game that was better on a 2600 than in an arcade.

In the stage where you have to jump the boulders, didn't the arcade have you running up a hill and in the 2600 it's just flat.

Jungle King was better because it made a "Tarzan" yell.

I just got done playing a long bout of Taito Legends and Midway Arcade Treasures. Both compilations are excellent.....especially for keeping hi-scores. :D

But am I the only one who thinks that Phoenix and Jungle Hunt are MUCH better on the 2600. The arcade originals are great but they don't have that "feel" to them. The 2600 versions, IMO, are a lot funner.

What do ya'll think?

I'll have whatever your smoking. No none of the ports were as good as the arcade. That's downright blasphemy.

Considering Kaboom! is a "hack" of Avalanche, it is a MUCH better version of the game.

As for direct 1 to 1 conversions, the Warlords upright (black and white 2 player) is not half as good a game as the VCS version. The 4 player color cocktail is a different story but the upright technically is an inferior game to the 2600 version with color and 4 players. I personally do not like the multiball in the arcade as much as the single ball in the VCS version. I think the game becomes more about skill with 1 ball and more about survival with multiball going on. I prefer the skill version.

If you count the early "hacks" of arcades, Street Racer was basically a hack of 1972 (or 1973) Midway Asteroid. I think the multiple game versions make it superior. Technically, the 2600 IS the hardware in the Atari Tournament Table so there is a Video Olympics in arcade version for you :) Air Sea Battle is a version of Anti-Aircraft, etc. More like that but the bottom line I think is the early 2600 games were superior to their TTL arcade counterparts.

C

We've had this conversation before, but what the heck... I never pass up a chance to heap praise onto the 2600 version of Solar Fox! The original arcade game was unfocused and filled to overflowing with unnecessary play mechanics, but the 2600 version streamlines the experience, cranking up the speed and intensity. There's no firing; only frantic dodging, and the game is better off for it.

It's telling that the 21st century remake for personal computers, Solar Wolf, is based on the 2600 game rather than the arcade original. There are power ups and polished rendered graphics, but the core of the gameplay is all about survival against impossible odds, the same formula that made the 2600 game so addictive.

Yeah. You're the only one who thinks that about Phoenix. 2600 Phoenix is great as a home game for the time, but it doesn't even remotely compare to the arcade game.

But I think Missile Command on the 2600 is a better game than the arcade version. It just feels more pure and zen somehow. Other than that one game, I can't think of any arcade/2600 game which I'd choose to play the 2600 version over the arcade version.

Good one!

Jungle Hunt better than Jungle King? That is so ludicrous, there is no way you can't be joking! I remember when I got Jungle Hunt for the VCS when I was 12 & just being blown away @ how much it sucked compared to Jungle King! It was probably my 1st really big videogame dissappointment in my life.

I can't think of a VCS translation that was better than the arcade version. In fact, I can only think of ONE 2600 game that came close....

Tapper

Pong Sports & Super Breakout don't really count cuz they're variations of the orginals.

Peace

I can't believe nobody has mentioned Asteroids and Space Invaders. The home versions were WAY better IMO with the color(s), and game options. I never cared terribly for the coin-op versions either. Fun enough for a few games, but neither held my interest for long. Two maybe three quarters worth at most.

I also like Night Driver better too. :)

We've had this conversation before, but what the heck... I never pass up a chance to heap praise onto the 2600 version of Solar Fox! The original arcade game was unfocused and filled to overflowing with unnecessary play mechanics, but the 2600 version streamlines the experience, cranking up the speed and intensity. There's no firing; only frantic dodging, and the game is better off for it.

Yeah, what he said. :thumbsup: