IGNORED

Ordered an Atari 2600 today with S-Video modification (got it)

Random Terrain

I paid for the best shipping, so it won't be too long before I'll be playing Atari 2600 games without those irritating wavy patterns! Since the screen will be emulator clear now, I might start buying some cartridges once in a while. There are a few games that I regret trading away back in the late 1980s that I'd like to have. How do you like that? The "Atari community" is finally getting some cash out of me.

As soon as I get my new Atari 2600, I'll start making videos and upload them to YouTube. I plan to make many E.T. videos and short clips of some of my favorite games that I'll embed on my web site instead of having screenshots.

[Ordered it on Friday November 2, 2007 and received it on Thursday November 15, 2007]

Edited by Random Terrain

I've been using modified Atari 2600 (and 5200 and 7800 and CV) consoles for years and it's definitely worth it. Not having to deal with RF interference, not to mention being able to use a much wider range of displays (Commodore 1702 monitors, projectors, flat-screen panels, etc.) makes the mods quite compelling. You'll be asking yourself you you hadn't gone down this road sooner!

..Al

You'll love it. That is where I got mine from as well. I got a black vader version. They have great customer service too.

That's good to know.

Too bad they aren't offering 7800's with the mod, I just might consider it.

Oh yeah, they don't. I wonder why? I'd probably want to get a modified Atari 7800 some time next year.

Speaking of the Atari 7800, I never had an Atari 2600 and an Atari 7800 out at the same time, so I didn't notice how much different an Atari 2600 game can look and sound. I tried a few different games, and E.T., for example, looked and sounded normal on an Atari 2600, but the sound and colors were a little off on the Atari 7800.

I've been using modified Atari 2600 (and 5200 and 7800 and CV) consoles for years and it's definitely worth it. Not having to deal with RF interference, not to mention being able to use a much wider range of displays (Commodore 1702 monitors, projectors, flat-screen panels, etc.) makes the mods quite compelling. You'll be asking yourself you you hadn't gone down this road sooner!

I didn't have a DVD recorder (along with a place to plug in an S-Video cable) until the last year or so. Now that I do, I hope to get a modified Atari 7800 one of these days. I'm still not sure if I want an Atari 5200.

Edited by Random Terrain

Thanks. I bought it from atari2600.com:

https://www.atari2600.com/item--Atari-2600-...--PROD7828.html

how much did it set you back?

I would guess

Price: $149.95

based on his link....

Yep, that's the price and something like $20 for shipping.

Try the longhorn engineer, he would convert one for you $50 + shipping your console.

The mods are pretty simple to do with one of his mod boards, hey even I can do it (well 6 so far and no failures :D )

http://www.longhornengineer.com/Forsale/Forsale

Try the longhorn engineer, he would convert one for you $50 + shipping your console.

The mods are pretty simple to do with one of his mod boards, hey even I can do it (well 6 so far and no failures :D )

That IS incredibly tempting.

Is there any improvement going from AV mod to S-video mod? I can't imagine...

S-Video will provide a better picture than composite. This(click for large picture) is what I get with my S-Video Atari.

Nathan's done a good comparison of 2600 video mods. The following images are from his page.

composite example:

bh_pf_3.png

S-Video example:

ct_pf_3.png

Note the alternating dots in the score, Harry and the Activision Rainbow in the composite mod - that's due to the comb filter having to separate the color signal from the B&W signal. An S-Video connection keeps those signals separate.

Edited by SpiceWare

Thanks for posting the images. I hope my S-Video hookup will look as good as yours.

It took a couple of days, but they finally sent my registration key for AVS Video Editor, so when I get my new Atari 2600, I'll be able to start making videos right away. Don't worry, I won't create a new topic for each one, I'll just quietly upload them and embed them on my web site.

I was thinking that maybe I shouldn't redo my

video since it was made using an RF switchbox and the rest of my videos will be made using S-Video. People will be able to compare moving images of both types.

Heck yes! I see Nathan already posted about the differences though. Just getting rid of the dot crawl (which you can see in the Activision logo in Nathan's screenshots) is reason alone to get an s-video mod. :)

..Al

Heck yes! I see Nathan already posted about the differences though. Just getting rid of the dot crawl (which you can see in the Activision logo in Nathan's screenshots) is reason alone to get an s-video mod. :)

..Al

It's like watching your favorite movie in high definition. Can't turn back now! ;)

I thought anyone planning to buy a modified Atari 2600 might want to know that they don't have modified Atari 2600s already fixed up. It seems they modify one when you order it, so expect a longer wait. They might send mine on Monday, so I could be playing games and making videos by Thursday or Friday of next week.

Hey all,

I recently purchased an Atari 2600 with an S-Video mod from Atari 2600.com. However, I'm having a problem getting any color (only black and white). I've connected everything properly and flicked a few switches but to no avail.

Any ideas what could be the problem?

By the way, I have contacted Atari 2600.com and I'm still awaiting a reply.

Thanks.

I should have gotten that one instead of the 8bitdomain one. The 8bitdomain one, certain grays are WAY too dull, so much so, there's invisible spots on fantastic voyage, and the scores on say decathlon, are barely readable.

I hooked back up my 2600 I did with my composite mod.

Edited by keilbaca

I recently purchased an Atari 2600 with an S-Video mod from Atari 2600.com. However, I'm having a problem getting any color (only black and white). I've connected everything properly and flicked a few switches but to no avail.

Any ideas what could be the problem?

I haven't received mine yet, so I can't tell you anything from experience, but did you make sure to flick the Black and White switch to color?