IGNORED

Some Very Early Jaguar Demo's

atarifan49

Hey guys,

For those interested, attached is very early source code of some of Jeff Minter's work on the Jaguar. This code is currently written for an older version of the Jaguar chipset which had a different base address than the chipset used today in our Jaguar's. There's the possiblity this may work on the existing Jaguar chipset if the code is updated for the new memory locations. Or it may not work because it may be using memory locations / registers that don't exist or were changed.

It is interesting to take the CRY image files and look at them under Jagview. The woman that Jeff mention isn't nude. Just in a bathing suit.

Regards,

Glenn

Yak's Demos: info

The gubbins on these three disks are the source, ABS files and data for all the demos I've done so far. The ABS files are in the ABS_STUFF folder on this disk; the DATA folder just contains SINES.BIN, a sine table, and the SOURCE folder contains the main 68K driver (YAK.S) and the various GPU sources. Just about

all the stuff in the separate GPU files is combined in the version used for the main demo (LLAMA.GAS). The other two disks contain the CRY files used in the demos.

Details of the ABS files, what they do and how they are loaded:

DEMO.ABS: This is the main demo prog.

Pictures 2 and 3 are mashed by the demo. Reload DEMO.ABS and those two pix to run it again.

STILL.ABS: Just display a static CRY pic

NUNS.ABS: The infamous Flying Nuns demo that never got used.

WARPY.ABS: The very early warping demo with the girl with spotty hooters

THANG1 and THANG2: Early versions of the toothpaste scroll, using the girl with the spotty etc., load as for WARPY.ABS

SCALINE.ABS: First double-buffered version of the toothpaste scroll; does not use a source image

ROTATE.ABS: Demo of rotation and scaling

ROTPERSP.ABS: Rotate with perspective tilt

PATTERNS.ABS: That rather funky one with the vector-patterns in a lot of Objects bouncing around hither and yon

LINEPSPC.ABS: Generates the vector-patterns in a surface which is scrolled over using the pseudo-mode-7 effect

MANDYFLY.ABS: Uses Leonard's lo-rez mandy generator to make a bit of M-set which is then scrolled over by a tile field

jeff.zip

Thanks Glenn this is a very interesting find! :D Jeff Minter is one of my favorite programmers. :)

It is interesting to take the CRY image files and look at them under Jagview.

I understand this "Jagview" utility can be used to view Jaguar static files like CRY images - where can I get Jagview, and what's needed to use it?

Thanks again for the early Jeff Minter Jag files!!! :cool: I wasn't even aware people had started coding for prototype Jaguar systems.

Hi Glenn,

Great to have files posted from such early days, and enormously interesting history,

especially as Minter was a coding hero to me for so long, along with ID's Carmack.

I have played around converting the sources, lots of build errors at first but feasible.

I did the donkey work to convert the images from CRY to JPEG, and attach them so

that the people who do not have the means or aptitude to convert them can see them.

People: the images are not from Jag demos (yet) but simply the images used in them.

I loaded them into Jagview, set CRY format, figured out the width, then saved as BMP.

Then I loaded the images into PaintShop Pro, and cut out the 320x200 image defined,

and saved as a JPEG. Yes, manual donkey work, but sometimes that's the simplest.

Cheers,

Richard / JustClaws.

post-3013-1194778392_thumb.jpg

post-3013-1194778403_thumb.jpg

post-3013-1194778414_thumb.jpg

post-3013-1194778428_thumb.jpg

post-3013-1194778435_thumb.jpg

post-3013-1194778447_thumb.jpg

post-3013-1194778457_thumb.jpg

Edited by justclaws

Hi Glenn,

I did the same with the robots file, but this would have been better converted

using some code, but I don't have the time at the moment to chop it up or do

the conversion, so I did a (tedious but quicker) copy and paste as before.

Perhaps somebody finds them interesting or useful.

If / when I get the programs rebuilt (where there's source) I'll post screens.

See below.

Cheers,

JustClaws.

post-3013-1194780103.jpg

post-3013-1194780122.jpg

post-3013-1194780132.jpg

post-3013-1194780142.jpg

post-3013-1194780152.jpg

post-3013-1194780158.jpg

post-3013-1194780166.jpg

post-3013-1194780188.jpg

post-3013-1194780199.jpg

post-3013-1194780205.jpg

post-3013-1194780213.jpg

post-3013-1194780232.jpg

post-3013-1194780240.jpg

post-3013-1194780247.jpg

Edited by justclaws

Interesting! Thanks for this.

Actually, I cannot make these work on my Alpine.

I tried the command in rdb.rc but this does not seem to make anything apart from loading the indicated files (the green screen of the stubulator stays)

Is there anything special to do?

edit: sorry, apparently, I hadn't read carefully before posting this. So the game is now to recompile this for the actual Jaguar, right?

Edited by SebRmv

Hi Seb,

edit: sorry, apparently, I hadn't read carefully before posting this. So the game is now to recompile this for the actual Jaguar, right?
Yes, unfortunately there is no source code for things like Flying Nuns!

The other ones though look to be buildable, just not had chance to adjust yet.

Cheers,

JustClaws.

Matthias Domin has posted a video by JagMod to YouTube of the Jeff Minter Jaguar Demo. Thanks goes out to Matthias for fixing up the code and letting us all get a look at what it did.

Very nice work! Interesting to see that Atari used most of the demo in their promotional film for the Jaguar (from January 1993). That video is also available at YouTube: Atari Jaguar Demo January 1993

Hello!

Yes, unfortunately there is no source code for things like Flying Nuns!

The other ones though look to be buildable, just not had chance to adjust yet.

There are no flying nuns, but some flying robots, here is a video of what this demo looks like:

The demos shows a squadron of robots flying infront of a "breathing" background-picture (NEBULA.CRY).

Kind regards

Matthias

Hi Matthias,

There are no flying nuns, but some flying robots, here is a video of what this demo looks like:

The demos shows a squadron of robots flying infront of a "breathing" background-picture (NEBULA.CRY).

Brilliant work fixing that code, Matthias.

You put me to shame AGAIN, I was still trying to get it working when you did this.

Cheers,

Richard / JustClaws.

Hello Justclaws!

Hi Matthias,

Brilliant work fixing that code, Matthias.

You put me to shame AGAIN, I was still trying to get it working when you did this.

Cheers,

Richard / JustClaws.

I just had good luck ;)

Unfortunately the INFO.TXT found in the JEFF.ZIP is a bit misleading, as it speaks about several different demos, and there are a lot of GAS-files (Gpu-AssemblerSources) which do support the description. But there was only one 68k-source and the MAKEFILE also does contain only commands for a single demo.

When i had figured it out that only 3 source-files were necessary it still took some time to get them compiled without error, just because of wrong DEFINEs and EQUs, but the compiled BIN-file did not show anything stable on the screen. So in a next step i exchanged all the video-related subroutines (Video-setup, Interrupt-handler and objectlist-handler) with familiar stuff i use in my own projects, and also added a more complete Initialisiation-sequence to the very beginning of the 68k-source.

Now i had a stable but "corrupt-looking" picture (instead of a Pong-screen which should appear as i had seen in the source),

so i focussed on checking the objectlist-content and it's creation and found a single difference which caused the "corruption",

additionally it turned out that the videomode (VMODE) should be set to another value.

Now, with a stable screen output i was able to enable more and more effects up to the point where the following effects did not work (that's where the first YouTube-video stops). But i saw that the following objectlists-effects were executed, but the object-canvas was usually wrong (corrupted). I feared that this was due to real problems in the GPU-code used to calculate these effects, but it turned out that i introduced this misbehaviour with my addition of my register-initialisation-sequence!

The problem was caused by setting the Endianess of the GPU to a value different to what Jeff Minter wanted the GPU in!

After fixing this all the effects of this demo seemed to work fine, at least those which were enabled in the source. And the described "Flying nuns"-demo wasn't enabled, although a subroutine for it was available. So all i had to do at that moment was to enable the branch to this subroutine and to provide the proper CRY-pictures :-)

Kind regards

Matthias

Very very interesting! :) I really need to learn more about software programming, Wow! it's almost like a puzzle, with the reward for completing it being a quite early Jeff Minter Atari in-house demo. Just great, really :cool:, very glad you were able to work successfully with his code to bring it up on a production Jaguar. Both of the Minter demos you recently put on YouTube are awesome!

Cheers to you buddy!post-9089-1195416116.gifpost-9089-1195416149.gif

• 4 weeks later...
Hello,

i have now put the original and the updated sources on my website, additionally i am providing a CD-image (in 3 formats) of an encrypted Jaguar-CD containing the demo-programs, below is the link to the webpage dedicated to this stuff:

http://www.mdgames.de/jeffminterdemos.html

Kind regards

Matthias

Hi Matthias,

very nice of you. Now I can see the demos on my Jag. Gonna try it out NOW ;-)

Thank you very much