IGNORED

Looks Promising - PokeyDS

Heaven/TQA

Some weeks ago, after have opened a thread in the emulation forum, I've tried Yoomp!

It works!

I have asked the author to insert an "enable Basic" option (now you have to attach a Basic rom).

He have written various emulators and I hope he will continue to develop this one.

• 2 weeks later...

Welp, I am posting this from my Nintendo DS running Opera from a micro SD card.

If the author of POKEY DS is unable to streamline the code enough to get 100% execution speed, there is an overclocking chip you can buy for about $25.00US that will allow you to soft switch between the stock 60mhz sytem clock speed and a ?turbo? 100mhz speed. perhapse the emulator will run at full ATARI speed in this mode.

Why not use the PSP's converted emulator instead of this DS emulator its already 100% speed with a custom psp firmware. I'm using it everyday, its runs everything and is impresive. i use a folding IR keyboard with it too. there's a lot of good homebrews for the psp and you can pick one up cheaply and easily. it can be soft overclocked also.

Edited by Tezz

'cus I dont want a PSP, more than happy with my DS thanks
I think the DS is too under spec to cope even if you shell out $25 and go to the trouble of installing an acellerator/cpu upgrade. I have the psp running at 333 now and it can run 150%. I have stuff like UAE running on it too although that isnt quite 100%. Edited by Tezz

I think the DS is too under spec to cope even if you shell out $25 and go to the trouble of installing an acellerator/cpu upgrade. I have the psp running at 333 now and it can run 150%. I have stuff like UAE running on it too although that isnt quite 100%.

I had not heard of an accelerator upgrade on a DS. Do you have any details or a link? I found nothing useful via Google.

Thanks,

Larry

I think the DS is too under spec to cope even if you shell out $25 and go to the trouble of installing an acellerator/cpu upgrade. I have the psp running at 333 now and it can run 150%. I have stuff like UAE running on it too although that isnt quite 100%.

I had not heard of an accelerator upgrade on a DS. Do you have any details or a link? I found nothing useful via Google.

Thanks,

Larry

Hi Larry, Mimo has beat me to the link above! http://www.division-6.com/store/gbaccelera...7-p-1-pr-8.html (thanks Mike) Apparently it's actually a mod chip to allow overclocking rather than an actual accelerator that I assumed.

Is anyone aware of the full details of this emulator for the DS and whether it is possible to ever achieve full speed from it? I wouldn't of thought so.

]Hi Larry, Mimo has beat me to the link above! http://www.division-6.com/store/gbaccelera...7-p-1-pr-8.html (thanks Mike) Apparently it's actually a mod chip to allow overclocking rather than an actual accelerator that I assumed.

Is anyone aware of the full details of this emulator for the DS and whether it is possible to ever achieve full speed from it? I wouldn't of thought so.

Thanks guys, for the links.

Of course the world doesn't necessarily work this way, but

70(%)/66(MHz) as 100(%)/ "x"(MHz)

X=94 MHz.

That's well within the range of the acceleration. 1.4 times (Fast) is 92 MHz; 1.8 times (Ultra) is 116 MHz. Certainly looks feasible at a glance. Doesn't look too nice to install, but I've never seen the insides of a DS (other than those pics). For grins, I need to see what my 266 MHz Pentium I Libretto will do with Atari800Win Plus. Definitely apples to oranges, but the Libretto has a real keyboard and mouse.

-Larry

'cus I dont want a PSP, more than happy with my DS thanks

Because.. Believe it or not.. The dual screens really does provide an advantage..

Example: Allows full screen output with a full keyboard representation at the same time, in correct aspect ratio (in both frodo DS and POKEY DS, and other emulators)..

Also.. Check out the intuitive use of the dual screens in the opera web browser. From the standpoint of being able to actually keep track of what you are doing, its better than any other browser Ive seen on a handheld device thusfar..

post-8775-1197353908_thumb.jpg

Admittedly, the DS could use a speed-boost though, especiually when running larger scaled applications..

Ok.. This is off topic as hell, but if anyone is wondering which slot-1 flash card to buy,

I have the new ACEKARD RPG 8gbit card, and it has run every piece of homebrew or commercial rom I have put on it with no patching, trimming, BIOS reflashing, or otherwise jacking around.. It is a truly a "no-brainer" drag & drop solution.

ALso damn convenient to be able to have the DS hooked to the PC via USB for browsing the internal flash & SD card without constantly removing the cart from the DS..

heres the link I got mine from: http://shop.01media.com/info.asp?ProductID=33611

And heres what it looks like, after I jacked around with the skin to make it look "Windows XPish"

(easy as hell, all .bmp files and a simple config file for text colors):

post-8775-1197354383_thumb.jpg

If anybody wants this skin, message me..

Unfortunatly i went for my DS and opera just for browsing the net. but the DS seems little bit too slow for convienent surfing. esp that you have to insert the ram extension in the GBA slot...

Without conversion & patching? I have a R4...

and for surfing via wifi i went for a new ipod touch... little bit faster... ;)

• 4 weeks later...
]Hi Larry, Mimo has beat me to the link above! http://www.division-6.com/store/gbaccelera...7-p-1-pr-8.html (thanks Mike) Apparently it's actually a mod chip to allow overclocking rather than an actual accelerator that I assumed.

Thanks guys, for the links.

Of course the world doesn't necessarily work this way, but

70(%)/66(MHz) as 100(%)/ "x"(MHz)

X=94 MHz.

That's well within the range of the acceleration. 1.4 times (Fast) is 92 MHz; 1.8 times (Ultra) is 116 MHz. Certainly looks feasible at a glance. Doesn't look too nice to install, but I've never seen the insides of a DS (other than those pics).

For grins, I need to see what my 266 MHz Pentium I Libretto will do with Atari800Win Plus. Definitely apples to oranges, but the Libretto has a real keyboard and mouse.

-Larry

Finally got around to trying A8CW+ on my old Libretto -- 270% with small screen and refresh=10; 200% with large screen. Those old Pentiums had a little "oomph!"

• 5 weeks later...

Ok.. I bought one of these: GBAccelerator DS

And stuck it in my NDS lite.

It has four modes of operation, switchable "on the fly" by pressing L1,L2, and SELECT at the same time..

0.6x (slower than normal, about 44mhz)

1x (normal NDS 66mhz clock speed)

1.4x (overclcoked to 92mhz)

1.8x (overclocked to 118mhz)

In 1.4x mode, POKEY DS seems to run somewhere around the normal speed of the ATARI, maybe about 85-90% normal speed.

In 1.8x mode, POKEY DS runs slightly faster than a normal ATARI, maybe about 115-125% normal speed.

In all speeds, the sound emulation is still AWFUL.. This is an area which really needs alot of work..

Also, the speed % indicator on POKEY DS is obviously not compared against realtime, because even in 1.8x mode, with the game running noticably faster than on a real ATARI, the speed indicator still shows something like 62% (or whatever it would on a stock normal clockspeed NDS).

besides these few indescrepencies, it seems to be a pretty solid emulator overall, and its awesome to be able to have ATARI in a palm-sized device..