IGNORED

matterhorn?

bigepc

Wow, it's been a LONG time since I have posted on the site. Hope all are doing well.

This topic has interested me as most know I sold the last one (that I remember) on eBay Spring, 2002 (wish I had never done that!). It sold for $258 US the best I remember.

I wish I could remember who bought it. I know they were from Kentucky originally (my home state) or had lived there in the past. In 2002, they lived in Mississippi (as that is where I shipped it to).

I must say, the game was absolutely aweful. Terrible, but hey - it's so rare, you know you just have to have it. I always thought Espial was the best Tiger Game (heck, even Springer is better than Matterhorn in my opinion).

I think some of you may know, but I aquired the complete collection of what was a fairly large user group in Phoenix, Arizona. I got it from a fellow who in turn got it from the person that ran the users group. I can go look it all up (it's all still in my garage) but I am thinking it was the North Phoenix Atari Group. In this (two truck load) lot was the Matterhorn, an Espial, and Springer carts (which we all know was much more common). I wish I knew more history than that, but I am afraid that is all I know. I am sure someone would like all of their stuff, and I would probably be intersted in selling it all, as it's doing me know good -- but packing it up would be a lot of hassle. What I have left is the disk library (I pretty much sold most everything else that I did not need for my collection). There were 100s of disks. Some were their monthly "subscription" floppies, along with ulitlites, just a bunch of stuff. Also 100s of game compilation diskettes that I will probably keep forever.

Well, sorry to run, and I will try to drop in more often

Sincerely

Rob Catron

Hi Rob, welcome home!

Thanks deathtrappomegranate - glad to see you around still. I get all gushy when I get back on these forums and always fire the 8-bit up. I actually have my 8-bit hooked up to my big screen now. Nothing like a game of Blue Max on the widescreen.

I will start coming around a bit more. I am glad actually I finally found an Attack of the Mutant Camels. I think we have talked about this one before - I have been looking for that one for ages. WAAAY up there on the rarity list for me (and I have a nice collection - still ;o)

Thanks to my #1 Swedish friend for pointing the ATMC listing out to me.

This Matterhorn? It should go $400+

Come now - collectors, when in your lifetime will you see this one again? Not at all likely.

Rob

Edited by robcatron

Looks like my $400 prediction was pretty close. Maybe it would have brought $400 if it had that end label ;)

Rob

I agree, an end label would be nice. :roll: What do they look like? Probably similar to the Springer? :?:

Wish I had $400 to get one with an end label, but with so few arround (until someone finds a

crateful of Matterhorns and Espials) it is well worth it.

Anyone got a Matterhorn or Espial for sale? Can you wait until I get my tax refund?

:D

Yes, $400 was a good call. I didn't expect it to go so high, and I thought that the second-highest bidder would get it.

I'd be happier if mine had an end label too, but you can't be too picky with games that are so tough to find in any condition at all.

Edited by deathtrappomegranate

I was hoping for a miracle to get it for $200 ;)

Is the winner a member here?

I'll keep hoping with you, that there'll be a next one for around that but.... ;)

If there are 7 known and one of them was found years ago at a trift store, I wonder how it got there?

Maybe a worker or club member died and their family donated the stuff?

I wonder what else there was... :D

Edited by Defender II

Not sure if this is the correct forum to ask this. While cleaning out my old boxes came across this game Matterhorn by Tigervision for use with atari 400/600xl/800/800xl. Did a google search and could not find any information on this game. Is this a rare game or just one that is so common that no one talks about it. I can post a picture if that would help identify it. Thanks in advance.

Did you find any more? he he he :D

Well Matterhorn is sold. I was really surprised that it sold for so much. I found Matterhorn around 2002 or so. I was shopping in a Goodwill in Phoenix, AZ and found Matterhorn and Attack of the Mutant Camels along with a couple other common games for .79 each. I had no clue what game system they were for but for the price I thought what the heck. I also have a lot of older video game systems and games that I have picked up over the years. I am selling them off as I clean and test them.

I would like to thank you all for the info about this game. I admit I have been visiting thrift stores a lot more often lately hoping hat I might find another Matterhorn.

Does anyone know if an original box or instructions exist for Matterhorn?

They have never been found, AFAIK.

All seven known copies have been found loose, although I know someone who claims to have seen a boxed Matterhorn for retail sale in Germany in the 1980s.

I wonder how many carts were actually made? I wonder if the developer received just a salary and/or some tiny royalty? Do we know much about the Tigervision development process for the 8-bit computers?

I would love to know these things too.

You know there has to be a handfull of Tiger workers that probably would never DREAM that anyone would be interested in their crappy low budget games. Sorta like B Movies, I suppose.

I wonder if someone would contact Tiger today if they could give any information on what happened to the game division, or provide any leads.

Rob

Well Matterhorn is sold. I was really surprised that it sold for so much. I found Matterhorn around 2002 or so. I was shopping in a Goodwill in Phoenix, AZ and found Matterhorn and Attack of the Mutant Camels along with a couple other common games for .79 each. I had no clue what game system they were for but for the price I thought what the heck. I also have a lot of older video game systems and games that I have picked up over the years. I am selling them off as I clean and test them.

I would like to thank you all for the info about this game. I admit I have been visiting thrift stores a lot more often lately hoping hat I might find another Matterhorn.

Well, I have been looking for 5 years now. It is my wife and I's little joke, "Hey, let's stop in that thrift shop. They are bound to have that case of New, boxed Matterhorn cartridges."

I do eBay for a living. Hit Goodwills, Salvation Armies and flea markets at least 3 days week. I have NEVER found any Atari 8-bit carts in my Central Kentucky area. Never. Not even Pac-man. I think they are still around in people's attic, but I am starting to think that anything older than Nintendo NES is getting tossed. I rarely even see 2600 games anymore.

Rob

I do eBay for a living. Hit Goodwills, Salvation Armies and flea markets at least 3 days week. I have NEVER found any Atari 8-bit carts in my Central Kentucky area. Never. Not even Pac-man. I think they are still around in people's attic, but I am starting to think that anything older than Nintendo NES is getting tossed. I rarely even see 2600 games anymore.

Rob

I used to find 8-bit stuff in thrift stores around here (Richmond VA) years ago but it really started drying up about 5 years ago... I have not seen much lately. Maybe I bought it all... :cool:

Does anyone know if an original box or instructions exist for Matterhorn?

They have never been found, AFAIK.

All seven known copies have been found loose, although I know someone who claims to have seen a boxed Matterhorn for retail sale in Germany in the 1980s.

I vaguely recall seeing in one of the other forums that some of the 2600 folks keep track of who has their rare games (Pepsi Invaders, Quad Run, River Patrol?). Does anyone (DTP or one of the other AtariMania guys) officially or unofficially keep track of the rare Atari 8-bit computer games?

• 4 years later...