IGNORED

2600 idea - Jack and the Beanstalk

atari2600land

I tried to do what Cafeman said, but then I got to thinking "How many bytes would be left if I put in the whole song instead?" So now, it's either have a hidden room if you go up on a certain randomly selected screen or I put in the entire Greensleeves song. Here's what the whole song sounds like if I were to put it in. What do you think? Is that one note too high or just right?

level1music.bas.bin

I tried to do what Cafeman said, but then I got to thinking "How many bytes would be left if I put in the whole song instead?" So now, it's either have a hidden room if you go up on a certain randomly selected screen or I put in the entire Greensleeves song. Here's what the whole song sounds like if I were to put it in. What do you think? Is that one note too high or just right?

You could move your music routine to bank 5 or 7 and call it with gosub from any other bank.

I think that one high note is just a little sharp--sounds a little shrill the way it is. But the game is coming along well. Are you planning to have a label contest for the eventual cart release?

I think that one high note is just a little sharp--sounds a little shrill the way it is. But the game is coming along well. Are you planning to have a label contest for the eventual cart release?

Yea, that's what I thought. I'll remove the extra notes, then. As for the label contest, neotokeo has already designed an excellent label for it. It's somewhere in this thread.

Well, it seems like things are wrapping up here. I've decided to limit things to 4 levels. If you want what could be the final version to test (with the new levels I've designed), PM me and i'll give it to you. I've played through it once and got a high score of 9,068.

Thanks.

I just thought of something. The way it is now has the giant's room password code. But since the code doesn't go to the part where the rooms that have the harp and goose decided, I'm going to delete the password that goes to the giant's room. I'll leave it in now for testing, but this password will ultimately be deleted in the final version.

• 2 weeks later...

I've not played the most recent versions of this game, but it just dawned on me what this game is missing - unless I'm mistaken, there is no "FEE, FI, FO, FUM!".

This is a CLASSIC quote from the famous Jack & the Beanstalk story. Could you add a text screen with a pounding sound for each syllable of FEE FI FO FUM? It could be used when entering the castle, or perhaps after stealing the 2 items and leaving the castle. Just an idea.

Also though -- as you retreat down the beanstalk, the giant is chasing you. Could you draw the Giant's arm and hand (similar to the method you drew his legs and feet) slowly reaching for you down the stalk? Maybe the first 5 of those screens could have the bird, but the last 5 screens could be replaced by the Giant's arm?

EDIT -- you know what, maybe I did see this quote ... I'm not at home now to try out the game again ... sorry if I'm wrong, my brain is too packed full of other things. But I still thing the giant's arm idea is a good one!

Edited by Cafeman

I'd like to call the game done at this point. Also, could someone *please* PM Al and ask him about putting this in the store? I think he's ignoring me for some unknown reason.

I have not had a reply from him in some time either. He is either out of town or very busy. Give him some time, He will answer when he gets a chance.

I'd like to call the game done at this point. Also, could someone *please* PM Al and ask him about putting this in the store? I think he's ignoring me for some unknown reason.

Hi Chris

Do not worry.I emailed Al too and got no answer.Maybe he is out of town or very busy at the moment.

greetings Walter

• 2 weeks later...
A small update. Neo said he'd make some carts available for purchase, that is, after he's finished making the GoSub 2 carts.

Neo makes great games and is a stand up guy but I still wanna see it (and MissAdventure and KO Cruiser) in the AA Store.

I bought Neo's wonderful Wolfenstein in the AA Store.

Wp

• 6 months later...

I was frantically going through my old computer for a completed version and I found this. Looking through the BASIC code, it looks like all the levels for level 1 have been designed. I guess I just never bothered to post this update, so here it goes now.

jack85.bas.bin

jack85.bas

• Like 1