IGNORED

Atari 800 XL Screenshots needed

Hi guys, I'm hoping someone might be able to help me out.

We're running an article on the Atari 800XL but the machine we were hoping to use for a photoshoot has failed to turn up.

Does anyone have (or is able to take) some high quality shots of a machine and some games that we could use for the article?

Kindest regards,

Darran

We're running an article on the Atari 800XL but the machine we were hoping to use for a photoshoot has failed to turn up.

Does anyone have (or is able to take) some high quality shots of a machine and some games that we could use for the article?

Kindest regards,

Darran

I would think you'll get many replies to this request! Many including myself have restored 800xl's the their full glory. I can certainly take take some high quality shots tomorrow and post them here. What preferable res would you like them in?

Kindest regards,

Darran

I would think you'll get many replies to this request! Many including myself have restored 800xl's the their full glory. I can certainly take take some high quality shots tomorrow and post them here. What preferable res would you like them in?

ideally as high as possible, as they'll need to go across a double spread in the mag.

If they're taken on a white sheet they'll be easier to cut out.

Sure, do you want a picture of the box as well?

is 6.0 mega pixels good enough quality?

Which games do you want pictures of?

How about 1010, 1050, joysticks?

a 600XL and a 1200XL for comparison?

Let me know what you want and I will get the shots done asap

Edited by mimo

Kindest regards,

Darran

These boards don't let you post big images

Sure, do you want a picture of the box as well?

is 6.0 mega pixels good enough quality?

Which games do you want pictures of?

How about 1010, 1050, joysticks?

a 600XL and a 1200XL for comparison?

Games-wise stuff like the Lucasarts titles, Epyx, Datasoft and Synapse stuff would be great, things like Fractalus, Ballblazer, Fort Apocalypse, Bruce Lee, Encounter, Dropzone, Boulderdash, Blue Max, Zaxxon, Eastern Front, Bounty Bob, Star Raiders, basically any classics :)

6mpixels would be great, if you want to also arrange peripherals in the pics that would be nice, if its not too hard to arrange. As the feature's mainly on the 800XL we wont need any other machines in the main pic (as they'll be looked at in smaller box-outs)

If you can't post the images here you can send them via the email adress under my name at http://www.imagine-publishing.co.uk/RetroGamer/index.html

It would be greatly appreciated!

Edited by Darran@Retro Gamer

At last! The Atari 800XL in Retro Gamer - looking forward to it. Wish I could help but I sold the last of my Atari equipment last year.

I hope you'll represent the Atari from a genuinely UK perspective and not rely on generic website anecdotage. My Atari 800XL was the first computer I ever owned, but at completely the wrong time (1985-1987), so my memories are not so rosy but still cherished. In particular:

- Giddying excitement each month upon returning home from school to find the latest copy of the dour Atari User had been delivered. Truly, it was the Radio 4 of UK computer periodicals. It may have been written by your dad, but it was all we had. (Apart from Les' fine but scarce Page 6).

- Trawling the computer game racks of Boots, WH Smith and John Menzies looking for new Atari games each week, but finding only second-rate Mastertronic fare, released at the rate of around one (dismal) game every three months, while virtually all my friends were snapping up the latest from Ultimate, Beyond, Gargoyle, etc.

- Gaining a belated but sparkling entree into the preposterously mammoth Atari pirate scene via my best friend's father's collection of "Multiboot" disks. He had hundreds and hundreds of them, each containing between 5 and 10 games, all of which could be dubbed onto tape for my lowly 1010 (later Phonemark) datacorder! Who needed Mastertronic anymore?

- Finding out that Dixons had bought the remaining stock of XL machines and peripherals when the XE was introduced, only to see my prized £300 treasured possssion on sale for just over a quarter of that amount one year on...

More esoteric reminisences:

- The whistling hiss at the beginning of badly mastered Atari tapes (normally Mastertronic or Code Masters - do you remember that fresh plastic-y smell?) that often required you to pause the tape for several seconds at the start before letting it play (because the leader had been cut incorrectly).

- Finding Ghostbusters, Spy Hunter, Atari Smash Hits and Tapper in a Boots bargain bin, shortly after release, for just £1.99 each - but only being able to afford two of them (I believe it was Ghostbusters and Atari Smash Hits).

- Absent mindedly typing "CLOAD" instead of "CSAVE" after a mammoth session of entering Page 6 listing, "Ants In Your Pants". It was too late to (literally) save the hours of typing involved. The person who'd been dictating the characters in the data statements for me understandably stormed off, never to be seen again.

- The joy of discovering *SOMEONE ELSE* at school who owned an Atari, who greeted such divine happenstance with an invitation to swap games, only to discover we both already had copies of Vegas Jackpot, Kickstart, The Great Cross Country Road Race, Mercenary, Activision Decathlon, LA Swat and Dispatch Rider, so had nothing to swap.

- Continuing to buy English Software's Atari Smash Hits series even though each new edition was comprised of only 33% new material.

- Listening to Rob Hubbard's Jet Set Willy soundtrack forever before starting the game. Then switching the game off, close to tears, some moments later.

- The man from Intoto in Nottingham allowing me to buy Artworx' Strip Poker at the age of, erm, 12 or 13, but telling me to wait until the other customers had left.

- Talking of Nottingham - the Atari User Group at John Players' cigarette factory... anyone who was there would have MANY stories to tell!

- Playing TGIF (Thank God It's Friday) for hours and hours on end.

- Being bought Warhawk, Chickin' Chase, BMX Simulator and Thrust for Christmas, but finding the booty and swapping the tapes in the cases long before Christmas Day, knowing my parents wouldn't have checked. (I stared in awe at the Warhawk title screen for an age.)

- Having several letters published in Atari User.

I mean, I could go on.

If you need any UK Atari input, do get in touch!

(Sorry for the outpouring guys - must be the idea of the 800XL finally in Retro Gamer!)

Edited by Mark Wright

You want pics of gameplay, carts, boxes, cassettes, Discs?

It's basically a 'splash screen' picture over two pages and preferably needs to be the machine, possibly a few peripherals such as joystick, casette or disk drive, and games in original packaging (casette cases/floppies in original packaging) so we can see the lovely artwork :)

Really just something nice, attractive and eye-catching that might stir up a few memories!

Atari Product Line

Something, albeit on a smaller scale, to this would be what we would be looking for, 800XL computer in background, games in foreground, maybe the odd peripheral, arranged in an attractive manner.

The most important factors are the machine and the (boxed) games however!

Edited by Darran@Retro Gamer

- Absent mindedly typing "CLOAD" instead of "CSAVE" after a mammoth session of entering Page 6 listing, "Ants In Your Pants". It was too late to (literally) save the hours of typing involved. The person who'd been dictating the characters in the data statements for me understandably stormed off, never to be seen again.

Classic! :rolling:

- The joy of discovering *SOMEONE ELSE* at school who owned an Atari, who greeted such divine happenstance with an invitation to swap games, only to discover we both already had copies of Vegas Jackpot, Kickstart, The Great Cross Country Road Race, Mercenary, Activision Decathlon, LA Swat and Dispatch Rider, so had nothing to swap.

Same here! :rolling: :rolling:

I mean, I could go on.

It's incredible how similar things happened to Atarians all over the world...

Regards

I bought an Atari 800XL with tape recorder in 1984 because I was attracted by the touch tablet, the design, and perhaps by the name Atari (I was fourteen).

After a few weeks I became very angry because in Italy my friends had plenty of (pirated) videogames for the much more famous Commodore 64 and in the shops were only available a few costly cartridges.

Later I subscribed to American magazines Compute! and Antic (in Italy no computer magazines about Atari 8-bit - plenty of magazines for C64), some floppy games arrived in the shops (I bought Bruce Lee, Ghostbusters, Solo Flight and Conan) and I met a grown up person with many pirated games fo sale.

Two year later I were glad to buy a Commodore 128, a computer compatible with the huge C64 software library, including the GEOS graphic operating system, and with a powerful basic and a good keyboard (eventually I bought various Amigas, IMHO the real successors of Atari 8-bit).

It's strange but nowdays I have many C64 and Atari 8-bit (800XL-130XE) but I prefer programming and collecting items regarding the second!

Edited by Philsan

Darran... can not wait to see Atari 8bit in an UK mag... ;) not the ST... I just have 2 Retro Gamer issues and would like to have more but it's so expensive to get them here in Germany... But why buying Xbox 360 games for 60,- EURO... maybe 1-2 less and i get Retro Gamer instead??? worth to think about... :D

ts... just saw...the first 30 isses on CD for 20 pounds... hmmm...could be an alternative... ;) but for real retro feeling i would have to go for the printed version... but...

http://www.imagineshop.co.uk/item_show.php...mp;action=emags

well...when i am looking through the online store... i should go for the printed mags...lovely covers... best is issue #25 with pitfall 1 cover... I had the legendary german TELEMATCH magazine with similar cover if my memory doesn't cheat me. ;) sorry for spoiling... OH NO... i was distracted by the covers so i have overseen the OUT OF STOCK buttons... grrr...

Edited by Heaven/TQA