IGNORED

Classic Game systems spotted in movies...

EricDeLee

Recent movies I noticed classic game systems in:

Pursuit of Happyness. The will Smith movie. His little boy is playing Asteroids on the Atari 2600. There is an oversized Asteroids box/display on top of the tv. I just noticed that this morning.

And the motherload: American Pie Beta House!

If you get the chance check it out. It is a silly movie... but funny nonetheless. The 'geek' house has a ton of systems displayed. I was very very surprised to see the Vectrex as well! :) Made me very happy to see that. It is fun to look at the cases and actually count how many of those systems you currently have.

Oh man Im blanking here I just recently saw a movie with Will SMith where he uses a turbo express as a palm pilot type device oh what was it Enemy of the State I think????? The only reason I remember is that I thought how funny it was to see it in that respect. Oh yeah the turbo express was in the 3 ninjas movie too. THe only reason Im stuck on the express was seeing your avatar EricDeLee

Edited by brucebidder

I remember seeing an Atari 7800 a few times in "Home Improvement", but you really have to look for it. I dont' think I ever saw them play it though...

I remember in the movie "E.T.", there was an Atari sitting on top of the TV set.

AND, I also remember seeing an Atari 5200 in the movie "Mr. Mom".....

I saw a 2600 used in an old sitcom called "gimme a break !" with Nel Carter and in an Episode of another sitcom called "wiz kids" I remember seeing an Atari 1450 Home computer.

Oh yeah on an Episode of "Roseanne" they had a super Nes they were playing but with 2600 pacman sound fx (that was weird to say the least)

I saw a 2600 used in an old sitcom called "gimme a break !" with Nel Carter and in an Episode of another sitcom called "wiz kids" I remember seeing an Atari 1450 Home computer.

Oh yeah on an Episode of "Roseanne" they had a super Nes they were playing but with 2600 pacman sound fx (that was weird to say the least)

That always drives me nuts when I see some a NEW(er) game system and they are using Atari 2600 sound effects in the background---Why do they do that? They Love to use Pac-Man and Donkey Kong from the 2600.

Lime green Game Boy Color (or Pocket?) with Pokemon Yellow in the cartridge slot in Left Behind: The Movie, son of the airline pilot is playing it.

White DS Lite (obviously not classic) being played by receptionist at the abortion clinic in Juno - she is really hammering the buttons too.

autumn_drag0n

That always drives me nuts when I see some a NEW(er) game system and they are using Atari 2600 sound effects in the background---Why do they do that? They Love to use Pac-Man and Donkey Kong from the 2600.

I know, I often wonder the same thing.

maybe that is one question man was not meant to understand, kinda like the Ark was something man was not meant to disturb, it is not of this earth. ;).

I know, I often wonder the same thing.

maybe that is one question man was not meant to understand, kinda like the Ark was something man was not meant to disturb, it is not of this earth. ;).

In these cases, the person in charge of sound effects is taking sound effects from a stock library of video game sounds, which is less time consuming than recording the true sound and synchronizing it to the action on screen. They just don't care enough.

In the recent movie Zodiac, which is set in the early-to-mid 1970s, they show an Atari Pong unit playing on a TV screen. Unfortunately, it is easy to see that it causes all sorts of continuity issues.

Off the top of my head:

Swingers has a CLASSIC scene where the guys are playing some NHL game on the Genesis, here's the youtube clip, Lots of cussing, so not safe for work: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRTwOS_1bQ8

Four Rooms , another cult classic. In the last room, there is a very extended scene of the bell hop's sister's friends playing Rambo on the Genesis, although according to IMDB there are continuity issues:

Continuity: When Betty is playing video games with her friends, she is playing Rambo 3 on a Sega Genesis. However, some scenes show the game she is playing as Rambo for the Nintendo Entertainment System, while she is still using a Sega Genesis controller.
Edited by Mike 01Hawk

Bud Bundy had a Atari 5200 in his room in Married... With Children. He never played it, and it was hardly ever shown. Quite interesting though, since it was terribly out of date even by the first episode.
Maybe they were trying to illustrate just how poor and behind the times the Bundy's really were!

do you guys remember the movie "The Wizard" with fred savage and his brother ben savage

there was a competition at the end with super mario 3 came out for the nes

great movie gotta check it out :)

Hell yeah that was a great movie! I remember an episode of Different Strokes was about an arcade machine, and for some reason I remember the Cosby show having an actual gaming system being played in one of the episodes.