IGNORED

Atari 800 Monitor

Sean39

Hi everyone

I have a Question what monitor originaly went with the Atari 800. I would like to get a monitor for

my Atari 800, but I wanted to know which one did they intend to go with the Atari 800??? I would like to

get a really good picture with the computer. Again I am trying to get this computer set up with all the correct

devices. Hey what is this Atari Microsoft basic II programing? I have the version C of Atari Basic which was the last

one Atari put out with no bugs in it. I was told this new Basic was on a 16K cartridge and disk combination

to make a really advance basic language. Well anyways I am trying to get a monitor and Disk drive too. I need

these items but will have to buy one at a time since everything on my wife death is costing me a lot and my medical

Bills. I am trying to do this for my daughter but it is hard when most my money is going on her medical bills from

the car wreck and mine too. Anyways I will take any sugestion on setting up this computer right. In meaning that

it will have a really good performance. Well email me at seanradios@yahoo.com

Thanks everyone

"Your TV" went with the Atari 800.

AFAIK, Atari never sold a monitor specifically intended to be used with any of it's 8-bit computers.

An Amiga 1084 monitor is a good idea as a monitor.

But, you can buy or make a cable which allows you to use the A/V inputs on a TV, and S-Video (which is better).

Get an APE interface from http://wwww.atarimax.com then you can try out most of the available Atari software.

Turbo BASIC is available for download - probably a better idea than MS BASIC, as it wasn't really a remarkable product.

Edited by Rybags

The atari monitor of choice in its heyday was the Commodore 1702 video monitor (really made by JVC) .

This is THE monitor to have..... it has separate chroma and luma in the back. You will need to get a monitor cable or make one to use the seperate chroma feature of this monitor.

But any of the old atari boys (like me) will remember this monitor as the BEST . Because of the seperate chroma and luma the characters look so crisp.

This monitor can still be found on ebay and is well worth it if your serious about the atari display.... I still use mine to this day.

The other popular monitor of the day was Amdek but they are harder to find and I do not believe the used a separate chroma luma.

• Like 1

The atari monitor of choice in its heyday was the Commodore 1702 video monitor (really made by JVC) .

This is THE monitor to have..... it has separate chroma and luma in the back. You will need to get a monitor cable or make one to use the seperate chroma feature of this monitor.

I also vote for the Commodore 1702. I've been using mine for ages, and still it's crystal-clear.

Don't let the fact that it's made by "the enemy" (Commodore) put you off :)

I also vote for the Commodore 1702. I've been using mine for ages, and still it's crystal-clear.

Don't let the fact that it's made by "the enemy" (Commodore) put you off :)

I'm with you - I never owned any Commodore stuff back in the day, but I sure wouldn't have minded having a 1702. Not too long ago, I replaced a larger VGA monitor and scan doubler with a 1702...

James

• 3 years later...

From a purely asthetic point of view, the 'Amdek 300A' is probably the best match for an Atari 800 because it has the same beige color and textured plastic shell with matching brown bezel identical to Atari beige and brown plastic color scheme. The 300A is a monochrome-amber monitor that is slightly less wide than the Atari 800. It has RCA composite video input and no audio input. Requires a monochrome 'Black & White' monitor cable. This monitor is also as rugged as the Atari 800 itself! Many of the 300A monitors came with an anti-glare nylon shield glued to the CRT. This coating is excellent for keeping glare down, but functions more like the security screen at a bank ATM - the viewing angle rapidly diminishes past 15 degrees center of screen. There is also the identical 'Amdek 310A', but it has a 9-pin D-subminiature video connector - no RCA composite video input.

The most common monitor used with the Atari 800 was the 'Amdek Color-I' monitor. It is a very nice color monitor with smooth beige plastic casing and brown bezel color that matches Atari beige and brown color scheme. The Color-I is slightly wider than the Atari 800. It has RCA composite video in and a 1/8 mono audio input. Both video and sound are excellent on this monitor, and is definitely my color monitor of choice when going for that authentic retro look. This monitor was usually sold for use with 6502 computers (Atari / Apple / Commodore) from this era. Requires a color monitor cable.

In all, there are other monitors with better quality and higher definition picture, and of course there is Channel 2-3 on TV. But when it comes to looking and playing the way Atari intended games to be played, accept no substitute. Amdek wins hands-down! :)

My Atari 800 shrine with an Amdek 300A...

gallery_27823_643_424927.jpg

An Amdek Color-I (left) and an Amdek 300A (right)

gallery_27823_637_438546.jpg

Amdek 300A with high resolution Amiga graphics :)

dxmvwk.jpg

Some retro advertisements for the Amdek Color-I

j4.jpgpub_datasoft_graphic.jpg

I suggest the JVC TM-A13SU. It's a more modern commercial/professional 13" monitor that has an excellent picture and can switch between two sources. They can handle both NTSC and PAL sources.

Bryan speaks the truth! This is the *BEST* 8-bit monitor in the world, in my opinion. It's kind of a "Super Commodore 1702" in that it's similar, and made by JVC. I highly recommend it. I will also give a nod to the 1702, as it's more JVC excellence. JVC absolutely ROCKED in making small CRT monitors.

The JVC TM-A13SU looks like this.....

tma13su_1.jpg

....so you can see that it is nice-looking, and more modern with digital controls, and of course does PAL as well. It actually sort of matches the XL-series Atari computers a little better, if that's important.

Very minor caveat is that it has BNC inputs (and outputs, but who would use them?) for composite. It has standard S-video (Y/C) as well.

A13SU_1_2.JPG

So what you need (for using composite) is adapters like this.....

AdapterBNCm-RCAf.jpg

.....which are available DIRT CHEAP on Ebay. This was the first time I'd ever seen BNC connectors and I was wondering "What the hell??" for a short time, after getting my first TM-A13SU.

Yup, I got 20 of those BNC adaptors on ebay for $2.75 shipped... DIRT CHEAP!

And speaking of outputs, I use them on my security monitor occasionally to hook another monitor up and have two displays running the same image (no reason, I just think it's cool :) )

@Fibrewire... the monitor in the upper left on the second pic... is that an Amdek? Had a couple of 'em back in the day. Really, really nice monitor and was styled well for the Atari's and Apples. While the 1702 and 1802, etc. are nice, I never liked using them on anything but Commodore equipment. The generic monitors that were more tan/beige than brown or white looked so much better.

And Rybags... "your TV went with the Atari 800". :lol: So true.

Rear of my Sony PVM

http://orph.atarinet.com/photos/main.php?g2_itemId=9099

Prior to receiving the BNC connectors... I will be hooking up the following...

PAL 800XL to the Composite Input

320k 130XE to the sVID input

800XL VBXE to the RGB input on line 1

STe to RGB input on line 2

Front panel controls allow me to flip between all four inputs at will (and change the settings for each individually)

I also have an ULTRAK Security Monitor

http://orph.atarinet.com/photos/main.php?g2_itemId=4246

This has two composite and one sVID input but it also does PAL/NTSC, Hooked up to this are

PAL 65XE on sVID

Stock 800XL on Composite Line 1

64k 600XL on Composite Line 2

@Fibrewire... the monitor in the upper left on the second pic... is that an Amdek?

Yes. I have two of the Amdek Color-I monitors. The one in the pic is for sale or trade.

A little blurry.. here's a picture of an Amdek Color I with an Atari 800 from a retro meetup I went to last month.

post-11578-0-88293700-1303921704_thumb.jpg

The JVC TM-A13SU looks like this.....

.....which are available DIRT CHEAP on Ebay. This was the first time I'd ever seen BNC connectors and I was wondering "What the hell??" for a short time, after getting my first TM-A13SU.

It's because you are using professional equipment. The BNC is a "serious" connector. It makes a nice secure connection that won't just tug off, but it does so with a simple twist, unlike the threaded connectors.

--Kurt

A little blurry.. here's a picture of an Amdek Color I with an Atari 800 from a retro meetup I went to last month.

I want that stand the monitor is on in the pic! :D

Amazon is your friend, I'll order you one, I'll send it to you with the $50 extra charge for me to add a Atari logo to it.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0036RA5EA/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_2?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B002ATWW0U&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0JMJEZ8PK9MD5P6EHAXZ

• Like 1

I want that stand the monitor is on in the pic! :D

Amazon is your friend, I'll order you one, I'll send it to you with the $50 extra charge for me to add a Atari logo to it.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0036RA5EA/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_2?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B002ATWW0U&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0JMJEZ8PK9MD5P6EHAXZ

Nice find! That's mine exactly except the logo.

On the subject of Atari 8-bit monitors. Does anyone have any ideas about hacking various existing things together to make an “Atari” monitor?

I know of the hacks to shoehorn a particular 1084S into an SC monitor.

I’ve seen a lot of SIO2SD units hacked into XL/XE peripheral cases.

I was toying with the idea of hacking a 7” LCD monitor from a PlayStation/Xbox into an Atari Touch Tablet case to get an XL-looking monitor. Never got very far.

Has anyone found a straightforward hack to make a 400/800 style monitor or an XL style monitor?

On the subject of Atari 8-bit monitors. Does anyone have any ideas about hacking various existing things together to make an “Atari” monitor?

I know of the hacks to shoehorn a particular 1084S into an SC monitor.

I’ve seen a lot of SIO2SD units hacked into XL/XE peripheral cases.

I was toying with the idea of hacking a 7” LCD monitor from a PlayStation/Xbox into an Atari Touch Tablet case to get an XL-looking monitor. Never got very far.

Has anyone found a straightforward hack to make a 400/800 style monitor or an XL style monitor?

I was just thinking about this for an XE style LCD TV

http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/dcbint/cpindex.pl?ctn=13PF7835/12&scy=gb&slg=en

Affix XE logo and VOILA!