IGNORED

130XE runs 'the show' - UPDATE on 'script roller' system!

Noelio

Hi folks,

I finally received my two 130xe's today from the ebay seller. WOW! They were actually used for "The Prevue" channel! I used to buy advertising from them back in the 90s! Kewl! Enough exclamation marks already!

They are pristine with the plastic still on the labels, perfect color keys (they've been in the steel rack mount boxes all this time)@!

I think the ROMS are wiped out as the protective tape was OFF of the windows in the middle of the chips (forget what these chips are called)... Will test later tonight when they acclimate.

However just in case, when I opened the second machine I covered the windows in the dark then applied 2 layers of electrical tape in case there was a chance to preserve the data onboard.

Can anyone advise how I could dump this rom? It just uses the cartridge port and NOT the ECI(for anything functional but rather to strengthen and secure the rom to the cart slot) so its perhaps like a regular cart. My pervert nature FORCES me to nickname this cart "The Shocker" cart... Anyone with a perv mind will understand fully.

I will test later to see if anything is on the carts... Hopefully there is... In which case if I cant dump the rom I would be willing to ship to someone that can.

As well the part that is hooked up to the SIO seems to be some kind of thin net modem/nic!!! It's not in any way connected to the monitor out so it involves data transport of some sort! Maybe similar to a null modem connection?

I think I've found a real GEM here... There's still 2 more up on ebay... I offered $100 each machine and he accepted. Not bad as these cases alone are worth that.

Some updated pics are attached. Sorry for the quality as I used a camera phone and the humidity is through the roof today.

post-12761-1201719431_thumb.jpg

post-12761-1201719438_thumb.jpg

post-12761-1201719445_thumb.jpg

post-12761-1201719457_thumb.jpg

post-12761-1201719462_thumb.jpg

post-12761-1201719467_thumb.jpg

post-12761-1201719473_thumb.jpg

post-12761-1201719487_thumb.jpg

post-12761-1201719509_thumb.jpg

post-12761-1201719517_thumb.jpg

post-12761-1201719524_thumb.jpg

post-12761-1201719530_thumb.jpg

post-12761-1201719536_thumb.jpg

Edited by Noelio

Hi folks,

I think the ROMS are wiped out as the protective tape was OFF of the windows in the middle of the chips (forget what these chips are called)... Will test later tonight when they acclimate.

However just in case, when I opened the second machine I covered the windows in the dark then applied 2 layers of electrical tape in case there was a chance to preserve the data onboard.

Can anyone advise how I could dump this rom? It just uses the cartridge port and NOT the ECI(for anything functional but rather to strengthen and secure the rom to the cart slot) so its perhaps like a regular cart. My pervert nature FORCES me to nickname this cart "The Shocker" cart... Anyone with a perv mind will understand fully.

I will test later to see if anything is on the carts... Hopefully there is... In which case if I cant dump the rom I would be willing to ship to someone that can.

Wow! You found some really cool equipment. I remember reading about such systems in the Best Electronics catalog. I have an EPROM burner that should be able to dump the ROMs. BTW, normal light should not erase the EPROMS only ultraviolet light.

Great find and great pics!

This BASIC program can dump ordinary (non-banked) cartridges.

Select "Copy Cartridge" then "Save File".

To copy the cart, insert it when prompted and press a key. When the screen changes colour, pull the cartridge out then press another key.

filecopy.zip

It puts a binary header onto the data, but it doesn't necessarily mean the cartridge image will load and run.

But, if you can run it and upload here, someone could take a look at it.

Edited by Rybags

GREAT NEWS@!

The systems work perfect AND the carts data are intact in both cases!

Here's a few screen shots. And thanks a million for that dumper software. I will try that out the first chance I get.(probably tonight)

I can only assume that the data is downloaded by the "baseband thru"... Its complaining that the keyboard isnt active, but this is common with this kind of software as there's usually a set sequence to enable the keys to prevent mistakes etc.

Hi folks,

I finally received my two 130xe's today from the ebay seller. WOW! They were actually used for "The Prevue" channel! I used to buy advertising from them back in the 90s! Kewl! Enough exclamation marks already!

They are pristine with the plastic still on the labels, perfect color keys (they've been in the steel rack mount boxes all this time)@!

As well the part that is hooked up to the SIO seems to be some kind of thin net modem/nic!!! It's not in any way connected to the monitor out so it involves data transport of some sort! Maybe similar to a null modem connection?

I think I've found a real GEM here... There's still 2 more up on ebay... I offered $100 each machine and he accepted. Not bad as these cases alone are worth that.

Some updated pics are attached. Sorry for the quality as I used a camera phone and the humidity is through the roof today.

post-12761-1201729847_thumb.jpg

post-12761-1201729876_thumb.jpg

post-12761-1201729903_thumb.jpg

Edited by Noelio

That's a really neat program but it didn't work in this case. I think this might be bank switched cause it freezes the machine and spews all kinds of atascii all over the screen.

I had a fantastic time making disk images etc to get the program to run though! Been a long time since I played with dos 3, as ugly as it is!

This BASIC program can dump ordinary (non-banked) cartridges.

Select "Copy Cartridge" then "Save File".

To copy the cart, insert it when prompted and press a key. When the screen changes colour, pull the cartridge out then press another key.

filecopy.zip

It puts a binary header onto the data, but it doesn't necessarily mean the cartridge image will load and run.

But, if you can run it and upload here, someone could take a look at it.

Can you try again and upload the file?

The file probably won't work straight off - would have to check through it. From the contents, we could work out if it is bank-switched or not.

If it is bank-switched, then an alternative way of copying it could be worked out.

Actually I got it!!! Its a 16K cartridge from what I can tell. If you manage to extract it from the disk image could you post the file?

Couldn't figure out how to copy the dump to a virtual hard drive so here's the complete (and lame) disk image.

It's in dos 3 format (sorry!).

The filename is "PREVUE.BIN"

Sorry for the confusion... I get excited with this stuff and screw up lots hahaha!

I reread your extremely simple instructions and walloped myself up the side of the head with a small vehicle.

Nice to actually use the real machine along side an emu & ape. Let me know how you do! :)

Can you try again and upload the file?

The file probably won't work straight off - would have to check through it. From the contents, we could work out if it is bank-switched or not.

If it is bank-switched, then an alternative way of copying it could be worked out.

prevue_channel_script_roller.zip

Edited by Noelio

Kewl thanks.

Oh the reason I spelled it prevue was because of the way the company "Prevue Channel" spell it. :)

Just wanted to clear up that I can spell LOL!.

As for the external device. Yep... Via some method the data flows down to the board attached to the SIO.

I'll try to get another pic of the board.

I wonder if there's a way to figure out the method that circuit uses... Who knows there's probably an R: handler in there somewhere.

In the meantime I'm really happy we managed to get a dump of the cart. I guess its an R9 or R10 now hahahaha.

preview.zip

No header on that ROM - so just attach it to the emulator as a 16K cartridge.

Don't seem to be able to do anything except change the scroll speed - maybe it's dependant on some external device being attached.

Edited by Noelio

I wonder if there's a way to figure out the method that circuit uses... Who knows there's probably an R: handler in there somewhere.

Hi!

Superb contribution! Great to see the atari 8bit was used in a professional production. Imagine! A complete atari in such a rack. Fabulous.

By the way: I did not study the concept of this system, but i don't think there is an R: handler used. An R: handler is only interesting in case of real-modem transfers. This is a direct and simple transfer, and that is probably going through the build-in SIO handler (check the Atari Reference Manual (available on the net) for more details about that).

I'm really pleased to see the atari was used by a third party. I think the designer of this board was an atari freak. The atari system -I like it very much- is not the easiest solution to implent in such a device, when you don't know the atari at all.

Anyway. I love the pics!

Marius

Yep that module that hooks up to the SIO holds the key.

It's powered by the SIO bus and uses BNC connectors. One is obviously IN and the other a THRU or OUT but its terminated with a BNC terminator cap.

Maybe the module is acting like an 850 and "serializing" the data in like a modem... A demodulator if you will. Must find out more about it for sure.

I do have a decommissioning / RMA report here. Will scan this in and post here too.

*Perhaps if I hook both 130s up in a series like the old ethernet cabling... I'm going to wait before I do such a thing hehehe.*

Just had a real quick look at the ROM code.

It has it's own keyboard IRQ routine. Even seems to do all of it's own SIO.

No calls to $E459 or $E456.

Might be worth hooking up to APE to see if it picks up anything.

Edited by Noelio

I just scanned the decommissioning / rma reports.

I've tested the 130s and the custom "shocker" carts last night and they work perfect on either power supply from the racks so the replacement must have been done.

Just note the dates on these reports!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hearty little machines I say!

PREVUE_RMA_DECOMM.PDF

Edited by Noelio

Yep that module that hooks up to the SIO holds the key.

It's powered by the SIO bus and uses BNC connectors. One is obviously IN and the other a THRU or OUT but its terminated with a BNC terminator cap.

Maybe the module is acting like an 850 and "serializing" the data in both directions like a modem. Must find out more about it for sure.

I do have a decommissioning / RMA report here. Will scan this in and post here too.

*Perhaps if I hook both 130s up in a series like the old ethernet cabling... I'm going to wait before I do such a thing hehehe.*

Just had a real quick look at the ROM code.

It has it's own keyboard IRQ routine. Even seems to do all of it's own SIO.

No calls to $E459 or $E456.

Might be worth hooking up to APE to see if it picks up anything.

Very interesting. I have a couple of questons if you don't mind my curiosity :D

Do you know what pins are being used on the SIO port? what are the chips on the module? Baseband video is just that a composite video signal.

As I remember, the Prevue channel would scroll a tv grid schedule and I wonder if the information was encoded on the video signal and fed to that board so as the day progressed the Atari could update the TV schedule grid via the SIO port. That module could be used to decode the information and make it available for the SIO port.

Well I'll be!

Here's the pics of the custom peripheral!

I looked at the connectors and they are actually standard 75 ohm cable type connectors yet one is terminated.

This is really getting interesting now!

My camera on my phone wont capture with enough detail to make out any lettering on the chips, nor will the scanner so here goes:

larger motorola chip :

mc3359p

ilds8916

small motorola chip:

lm393n

ikpn

There's also a grey plastic cube in the middle of it inscribed as follows:

lf-h4s

in red marker on board:

3y

06-2-8

in black marker on board:

in black marker on board:

nn2-3

On back of custom board in foil etching:

Zephyrus

Electronics

UV-D-2 Rev D

Copyright 7-88

OK.... On the actual SIO connector footprint:

GND +5v

POS DATA NEG DATA

There's another trace etch:

lci 1 0

The actual 13 pin SIO connector says:

TAIWAN R.O.C.

post-12761-1201814357_thumb.jpg

post-12761-1201814369_thumb.jpg

The manufacturer's website.

I'm going to inquire.

http://www.big-z.com/

Excerpt:

Zephyrus has been providing high quality, customized electronic and mechanical contract manufacturing solutions since 1985. We offer turn key services for several industries including Telecommunications, Energy, Microelectronics, Seismic, Monitoring & Controlling, computer, and others, all for commercial and industrial environments.

Zephyrus has now expanded into the Sheet Metal and Professional Services market. We offer a full range of services that include Electronic & Mechanical Contract Manufacturing; PCB Design, Layout & Assembly, Full-Service Sheet Metal and Professional Services. We are seeking customers that require on time delivery of precision products at a competitive price. Our staff strives to provide the highest quality and best service possible, with customer satisfaction being our priority.

Well I'll be!

Here's the pics of the custom peripheral!

I looked at the connectors and they are actually standard 75 ohm cable type connectors yet one is terminated.

This is really getting interesting now!

My camera on my phone wont capture with enough detail to make out any lettering on the chips, nor will the scanner so here goes:

larger motorola chip :

mc3359p

ilds8916

small motorola chip:

lm393n

ikpn

The MC3359P is a narrow band FM IF. I think what is happening is the MC3359P is receiving a modulated signal riding on the baseband video and converting it to an audio signal. Then the LM393, which is a Low Power Voltage Dual Comparator, is feeding the data into the Atari much like a cassette drive such as a 410 or 1010. The Atari cassette drives use a similar circuit after the signal from the tape heads have been amplified and just before the SIO port.

Here is the Datasheet for the MC3359P:

MC3359P.pdf

Edited by puppetmark

The ebay seller now has 6 of these with a buy it now of $144 each. I wonder how many there are!

I'm going for another 2, possibly 3 I think. The cases are pretty awesome and the computers are perfect, at least the ones I received.

Do you have a link to the auction?

I remember these rolling tv schedules on my local cable system back in the early 90s before the company merged into a larger company. I also remember the Prevue channel (Yes it's spelled Prevue) that was later bought out by TV Guide. I never realized that an Atari 8-bit computer was generated it, but did suspect something. It must be using two fonts ontop of each other to generate tall characters. I examined it with the emulator and each like used 2 Antic 2 with Antics 13 and 14 sandwiched between them for the colored lines. I could not figure out how to do anything with that program. I agree the Atari computers seem to be in very good condition.

Some might have assumed that a PC or other custom system would have generated those things back then, but would have made the systems much more expensive. VGA cards with video out to NTSC standards were not common till the later 1990s. Plus doing a smooth scrolling display with VGA would take more CPU power. The Atari 8-bit probably was a logical choice.

I have a couple of 800XLs and 800s that were used for something similar. The 800XLs have a steel case bolted to the top with a battery backup system and a couple electrical outlets that can be switched on and off by the XL.

The 800s have custom software on a plug in card, the 800XLs had carts installed under the steel case.

http://www.atarimax.com/technfo/cgi800/

http://www.atarimax.com/technfo/cgixl/

Steve

• 1 year later...

Not sure if this is the same seller but I just posted a thread. not knowing this was here. the guy has more than 10 still available and is taking offers beyond the $75 buy it now price:

Atari 130XE on ebay

I had assumed that one of the boards was a video upgrade board for broadcast quality video, how are you hooking it up to get a picture and is it better than the stock 130XE?