IGNORED

K.O. Cruiser - my first homebrew

Devin

Thanks the for the kind words!

I've attached the final-final-FINAL version of the binary. They are identical to the last upload, but with the character selection screen removed. I'll attach an almost-complete instruction manual tonight or tomorrow.

KO_Cruiser_final_20090526_ntsc.bin

KO_Cruiser_final_20090526_pal.bin

• Thanks 1

Thanks the for the kind words!

I've attached the final-final-FINAL version of the binary. They are identical to the last upload, but with the character selection screen removed. I'll attach an almost-complete instruction manual tonight or tomorrow.

Man I want this on cart. I've been playing punch out but really want to be playing this. Is this going to be released on cartridge sometime soon? :D

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
I realize how late I am to the game, but I am so incredibly excited about this game! Please make big big announcement when available on cart!!

Super Excited Stan

:spidey:

One of the most ambitious and unexpected homebrew games to ever hit in my opinion.

Wp

• Like 1

Here's an update on the game. I am converted it over to the same codebase that I used for Angry Video Game Nerd K.O. Boxing.

Some of the changes will be dodging and a nice credits screen at the very beginning. It will have the same fade effect as the AVGN game. I've attached some screenshots. I don't have a playable binary yet.

post-17256-12508602976_thumb.png

post-17256-125086030309_thumb.png

• Like 1

Here's an update on the game. I am converted it over to the same codebase that I used for Angry Video Game Nerd K.O. Boxing.

Some of the changes will be dodging and a nice credits screen at the very beginning. It will have the same fade effect as the AVGN game. I've attached some screenshots. I don't have a playable binary yet.

:thumbsup:

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

The 32k version is finally here!

KO Cruiser - 2009-09-14 - NTSC.bin

KO Cruiser - 2009-09-14 - PAL60.bin

In this new version, I was able to add a number of features that I developed in Angry Video Game Nerd K.O. Boxing. The last version was only 16k, so I was a tad limited on resources. The 32k version, however, has oodles of extra space! :) Here's a list of the more noticeable changes:

• Dodging was added! I never got this right in the 16k version, and didn't include it. I was able to get the timing/logic correct in Angry Video Game Nerd K.O. Boxing.
  • New, better, theme song. This is a tad closer to my Commodore version.
  • Each boxer has their own ring.
  • Added a credits screen. All the contributors (who said it was okay to use their name in the manual) are now displayed before the main titles.
  • I redid Major Concussion's machine gun move. When he starts it - run!

I think I can finally say: "That's it, I am done!". Well, I still have to update the manual. :)

post-17256-125292027086_thumb.png

post-17256-12529202747_thumb.png

post-17256-125292028188_thumb.png

post-17256-125292028566_thumb.png

post-17256-125292028897_thumb.png

post-17256-125292029254_thumb.png

post-17256-125292029587_thumb.png

post-17256-125292029897_thumb.png

post-17256-125292030271_thumb.png

Edited by Devin
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

I just stumbled on this tonight and all I can say is... WOW!

I am thoroughly amazed and impressed. You did an amazing job with this. It looks great and is a lot of fun once you get the hang of the controls. I've played through on the easy level and up to the next to last character on the medium setting. I like the difficulty of it so far -- challenging, but not too hard. There's a bit of a learning curve, but not too much to frustrate you enough to stop playing. Once you get the opponent's moves down, it feels great. This is now one of my favorite games on the 2600. Is there a way to avoid being hit by Major Concussion's Cannon Punch? No matter what I do, he's able to catch me with that.

I've also played through the AVGN KO Boxing version on difficulties 1 and 2. For whatever reason, that one seemed a bit easier and was a good trainer to help me with KO Cruiser.

I can only imagine what might have been, had this been released in the 80's. I certainly would have been glued to it for a while and may not have gotten enough school work done to get out of elementary. I might STILL be there. :lust:

• Haha 1

I just stumbled on this tonight and all I can say is... WOW!

I am thoroughly amazed and impressed. You did an amazing job with this. It looks great and is a lot of fun once you get the hang of the controls. I've played through on the easy level and up to the next to last character on the medium setting. I like the difficulty of it so far -- challenging, but not too hard. There's a bit of a learning curve, but not too much to frustrate you enough to stop playing. Once you get the opponent's moves down, it feels great. This is now one of my favorite games on the 2600. Is there a way to avoid being hit by Major Concussion's Cannon Punch? No matter what I do, he's able to catch me with that.

I've also played through the AVGN KO Boxing version on difficulties 1 and 2. For whatever reason, that one seemed a bit easier and was a good trainer to help me with KO Cruiser.

I can only imagine what might have been, had this been released in the 80's. I certainly would have been glued to it for a while and may not have gotten enough school work done to get out of elementary. I might STILL be there. :lust:

Thank you. I had a ton of fun writing it.

Is there a way to avoid being hit by Major Concussion's Cannon Punch? No matter what I do, he's able to catch me with that.

Sorry, I forgot to answer your question. The Cannon Punch cannot be blocked! You have to punch him the face while he is laughing.... or else! :)

Thanks for clearing that up. :thumbsup:

I've been able to finish the game on the highest difficulty, but it was kinda a matter of chance, (whether he would throw 3 of those cannon punches in a single round or not). I didn't notice him laughing before throwing that punch, so I'll have to look out for that now.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...