IGNORED

Super Smash Bros 2600 (idea-peddlage)

bomberpunk

since i've been hooked on the new Super Smash Bros Brawl (on Wii), i sat and pondered if a stripped-down bare-bones 1 or 2 player port on the 2600 would be any fun or even look good, or if the joystick would be able to perform enough commands.

the look:

i am picturing a black blackground, a few randomly generated flat(?) platforms, and two simple squares (ala "Adventure") to represent the two individuals duking it out, with individual score percentages at the bottom. yeah, the concept looks simple. shoot, i could pull that off in Qbasic.

characters:

all are squares varying in color. perhaps some shoot can things while others warp behind the opponent for a sneak attack.

the controls:

the SSB series is already a stripped down version of, say, 6-player button mashing VS games. a 2600 version would have to pretty much have only half of the move combinations as there is only one button. therefore this is what i'm thinking:

move joystick left -> player goes to the left

move joystick right -> player goes to the right

move joystick up -> player jumps

move joystick up while in mid-air -> player space-jumps (jumps again)

move joystick up/left -> player jumps leftward

move joystick up/right -> player jumps rightward

move joystick down -> player ducks/blocks

press fire button -> player unleashes a normal attack

press fire button + move joystick forward -> player unleashes a fierce attack

press fire button + move joystick backward -> player fires some type of projectile

press fire button _ move joystick up -> player does some kind of badass looking uppercut

press fire button + move joystick down -> player unleashes a special attack

yeah you know what? now that i look at it, this probably would NOT be an easy task, but since i have no 2600 coding skills i wouldn't know. and now i'm dying to go home and play SSBB. damnit.

I made one hell of a SFII port for the 2600 using bB, so I'd say it can definitely be done - with bB and for sure with ASM. I used the missiles hidden in the player sprite's hands and feet for collision detection. The crappiest part of it is that you have to tap fire to punch and hold it just a tad longer to kick - not so great as compared to 6 buttons. Sounds like you have the controls mapped fairly well though. What you've described so far could be put together in a few hours.

I made one hell of a SFII port for the 2600 using bB, so I'd say it can definitely be done - with bB and for sure with ASM. I used the missiles hidden in the player sprite's hands and feet for collision detection. The crappiest part of it is that you have to tap fire to punch and hold it just a tad longer to kick - not so great as compared to 6 buttons.

do you stil have the SFII game file? i'd love to play that.

Sounds like you have the controls mapped fairly well though. What you've described so far could be put together in a few hours.

:ponder:

I do still have it, and a kick-ass 2 player tetris. Figures that those were the two projects I finished first. I don't want my first ever homebrew to be something I can't release on cart - which also killed my superchip projects.

I'm so close to finishing Aqua Hero I can taste it. After that, hit me up. I'd really like to do a better sfII though with flickered sprites, since the missiles are what count anyway. My 8x20 sprites look awful, but I know there are people around who could do some awesome 16x30 conversions of the original sprites. That would be useless though until bB allows player graphics in any bank, one bank just can't hold a lot of sprites.

Non-animated square sprites would be worlds easier. Not sure how you would do a badass looking uppercut with a colored square though :P

I do still have it, and a kick-ass 2 player tetris. Figures that those were the two projects I finished first. I don't want my first ever homebrew to be something I can't release on cart - which also killed my superchip projects.

I'm so close to finishing Aqua Hero I can taste it. After that, hit me up. I'd really like to do a better sfII though with flickered sprites, since the missiles are what count anyway. My 8x20 sprites look awful, but I know there are people around who could do some awesome 16x30 conversions of the original sprites. That would be useless though until bB allows player graphics in any bank, one bank just can't hold a lot of sprites.

Non-animated square sprites would be worlds easier. Not sure how you would do a badass looking uppercut with a colored square though :P

Spin it twice in a loop, then launch it into the air on a vertical rise. But what's really important is how the other colored square sells the move -perhaps launching it across the screen and bouncing it off a wall, down to the floor, with time enough to air combo the victim old school pong style?