IGNORED

Atari ST A/V Video Cable

I've been debating on connecting my 1040st to the television. I was browsing EBay for alternatives and encountered a few cable 'hacks' for sale:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...A:IT&ih=022

http://cgi.ebay.com/Atari-ST-Composite-Vid...1QQcmdZViewItem

I was wondering if there was a schematic available to create my own. I don't mind spending $15+ for something like this, but if I can purchase the parts cheap at Radio Shack then even better!

Edited by retrogeek

What kind of atari do you have?

Atari 1040ST

Is it a 1040STFM or a 1040STF?

Mitch

You can tell I haven't had used an ST in a very long time. :roll: Not to sound novice, but I checked the computer and user manual and it only indicates 1040ST. It uses a double-sided, double density 720k disk drive and shipped in 1986 so I assume it’s the 1040STFM.

Yeah, like Paolo said, does it have the modulator plug on the back? It's an RCA type connector like on a 2600 jr or 7800.

Also on the top next to where it says 1040ST there should be a small F or FM.

Mitch

What kind of atari do you have?

Atari 1040ST

BTW, any relation with this guy? http://www.retrogeekcomputers.com/

None whatsoever... but he has a nice website. :)

If it has a modulator you can use the A/V cable. If it doesn't, you can't. Chances are you have a 1040STF so you need an RGB capable TV which as far as I know are not really available on your side of the ocean.

On the other issue, this guy has been banned from most if not all atari and amiga forums in the web. For good reason I might add...

Glad to know you are not him :)

Yeah, like Paolo said, does it have the modulator plug on the back? It's an RCA type connector like on a 2600 jr or 7800.

Also on the top next to where it says 1040ST there should be a small F or FM.

Mitch

I checked the system and it doesn't have the RF plug like the 2600. According to the auctions I found on EBay you don't need the built-in RF adapter to use the 1040st on the T.V. Someone created a cable that converts the ST's monitor signal into a composite signal. Here's a picture from the auction:

d0a9_1.JPG

I was wondering if someone knew how to build these (i.e.who has a schematic they could share) so I could build one.

(Added description from auction):

Brand NEW!!!! Plug N Play!

THE "ONLY" 6 ft Premiun (OXYGEN FREE COPPER/SHIELDED a/v cable) for Atari ST 520st, 140ST, St,STm,Stf

For all ST, OR COMPATIBLE COMPUTERS WITH AN 13 PIN DIN MONITOR PLUG!

Easy plug and play!!! Monitor out to TV or monitor (RCA plug)

Brand NEW....Displays a Perfect Color Picture and sound on your TV!

6 FT cable!

tHE ONLY ST A/V CABLE!!!!! 24K GOLD PLATED TOO....

******1 year guarantee!!! no matter what happens to it!!!!*(who does that?)

****Check out my shipping!!! Look at other's....

(Picture is CLEAR!!! AND..IN FULL BEUATIFUL COLOR and Sound!!!!

***NO MONITOR NEEDED!!!!!! "UN-BELIEVABLE!!!!!"

Check out my other items!

Must be paid within 5 days. Unless worked out with me first. Internation must contact me before bidding for shipping rates unless calclutated already. NO RISK!!!! *1 year guaranty, just send it back for a NEW one, pay only S/H

Be sure to add me to your favorites list!

Edited by retrogeek

I checked the system and it doesn't have the RF plug like the 2600. According to the auctions I found on EBay you don't need the built-in RF adapter to use the 1040st on the T.V.

That is incorrect. As mentioned already if you do not have a 1040STfm with the RF out jack - you can not use this cable. STs without FM modulators do not have composite video available at the monitor jack.

On the other issue, this guy has been banned from most if not all atari and amiga forums in the web. For good reason I might add...

Glad to know you are not him :)

That's the biggest problem with the internet; no matter what name you choose to use it's probably already in use by a different party somewhere else. If this guy is a real 'toolbag' (excuse the expression) then maybe I should change my username for the sake of argument. :|

Edited by retrogeek

I checked the system and it doesn't have the RF plug like the 2600. According to the auctions I found on EBay you don't need the built-in RF adapter to use the 1040st on the T.V.

That is incorrect. As mentioned already if you do not have a 1040STfm with the RF out jack - you can not use this cable. STs without FM modulators do not have composite video available at the monitor jack.

Ah! Thank you for clarifying! The EBay seller doesn't mention this in his auction. :) According to his auction it works with every model which obviously isn't the case.

Edited by retrogeek

Ah! Thank you for clarifying! The EBay seller doesn't mention this in his auction. :) According to his auction it works with every model which obviously isn't the case.

I got a cable from ebay and I can verify it only works with ST's with built in RF Modulators.

The Atari ST doesn't output composite video without a modulator and that is why it won't work. It is however very easy to make such a cable if need to, only needs two solders ;). The hard part is finding the 13-pin din though some people as always, have some hacks for it.

On STs without modulators, you can create a COMPOSITE VIDEO signal with the following scheme:

post-13139-1206784750_thumb.jpg

This should give you a black & white signal but it is better than no picture at all, probably fully ok to check if an ST is working at all ;)

In case you have no COMPOSITE SYNC on pin 2, use the right scheme to create it...

I have never tested those, being based in Good Old Europe, I can simply use SCART :D

I was wondering about these cables as well.

I have a 1040 STE, therefore it has the TV modulator built in. I currently only have a Monochrome monitor so I have the STE hooked up to the TV with a single phono cable carrying auido/video signal.

These cables plug into the monitor port and sperate the audio and video signals into two seperate cables. Would one of these cables provide better audio/video than the single phono cable when hooked up to the TV? I am assuming the answer would be yes, because these cables plug into the A/V jack and the phono cable I am using screws into the coax barrel on the back of the TV.

I just want to double check, so I don't buy something I won't really benefit from. I am reletively new the the ST scene.

I was wondering about these cables as well.

I have a 1040 STE, therefore it has the TV modulator built in. I currently only have a Monochrome monitor so I have the STE hooked up to the TV with a single phono cable carrying auido/video signal.

These cables plug into the monitor port and sperate the audio and video signals into two seperate cables. Would one of these cables provide better audio/video than the single phono cable when hooked up to the TV? I am assuming the answer would be yes, because these cables plug into the A/V jack and the phono cable I am using screws into the coax barrel on the back of the TV.

I just want to double check, so I don't buy something I won't really benefit from. I am reletively new the the ST scene.

The video is a little better, and it does not suffer from the interference th RF video does. I would get it if you want to output to a Composite TV.

• 4 weeks later...

That would be why the one I got from the guy wasn't working then. Had bought that and a bunch of the 5pin ones (for 8-bits) for hooking up stuff at the MGC this past March. The 5-pin ones worked perfect on their respective systems. The ST one didn't, and I tried it on several different models I had.

The seller is trying to convince me otherwise; here is what he wrote:

It should work on the Stf. I have only been told once that it did not work on an STfm. Any, yes it gives you a perfect clear COLOR picture. If for any reason it does not work, just send it back. I will refund you your money.

thank you, david "i have sold many for stf's, and never had one return."

At least he offered a refund. :lol:

Edit: I appreciate the info guys!

Edited by retrogeek

• 4 months later...

The guy over retrogeekcomputers is a known scammer in the Amiga world. Please don't buy to him.

His other nickname is Doommaster.

Look over Google for a list of his past as thief here

Please ban his account and censure that URL or you are contributing the scam to other users.

I found this url while looking for Atari stuff, so beware. Other could not know his past could get scammed easily, as his site looks somewhat reliable for most people.

Edited by timofonic

• 2 months later...
On STs without modulators, you can create a COMPOSITE VIDEO signal with the following scheme:

post-13139-1206784750_thumb.jpg

This should give you a black & white signal but it is better than no picture at all, probably fully ok to check if an ST is working at all ;)

In case you have no COMPOSITE SYNC on pin 2, use the right scheme to create it...

I have never tested those, being based in Good Old Europe, I can simply use SCART :D

hello guys,

I'm trying to build a rgb cable for my atari to use with X-RGB. I need to make the composite sync signal. The schematics show two diodes, but the explanation talks of two 4.7 K resistors. Unfortunately my German is not in good shape, can somebody tell me what's the deal with resistors ? also is there any specification for diodes ? any will do ?

thanks !