IGNORED

Juno First - Final Version (Atari 2600)

cd-w

One issue: The unused entries in the high score table are nearly invisible on the television (20" Sony) I am using for testing. I don't have an AtariVox plugged in at the moment, so not sure if the high score table is rendered differently then. Here's a screenshot (there's some static visible also, but you can barely make out the high score table):

If you don't have an AtariVox plugged in, the scores are grayed out. With an AtariVox (or SaveKey), they're completely visible.

Edited by Nathan Strum

If you don't have an AtariVox plugged in, the scores are grayed out. With an AtariVox (or SaveKey), they're completely visible.

They are grayed out too much, in my opinion. Grayed out is fine, but right now it mostly looks like a blank screen with only the "Last" and "Best" scores visible. It looks fine in emulation.

..Al

They are grayed out too much, in my opinion. Grayed out is fine, but right now it mostly looks like a blank screen with only the "Last" and "Best" scores visible. It looks fine in emulation.

As Nathan has said, the high score table is only functional with an AtariVox (or SaveKey) plugged in to the machine, otherwise you only get the best/last scores displayed. I will make the grey slightly lighter in the next RC so that it doesn't disappear completely.

Chris

Edited by cd-w

I'm now declaring a feature freeze, but I'm still open to minor tweaks if there is anything that you find annoying.

Well, this isn't annoying... but it is improvable. :)

At the title screen, it would be nice to be able to use the joystick to select the starting level. So maybe up/down to switch between the title screen and scores, and left/right to choose the level?

Played both versions on both NTSC and PAL 7800 hardware. Can't see any issues at all really, nice smooth shooting action :)

Many thanks for testing the game on the 7800 - I wasn't expecting any problems, but it is nice to make sure.

I just played this game for the first time. Wow! Wow wow! If only we had had this back in the day! It is many times more fun and impressive than Beamrider, which it superficially resembles. Great job on this game!

What exactly is the AtariVox mentioned?

The AtariVox is an add-on speech unit for the Atari 2600. It also contains an EEPROM memory chip for saving high scores. More details can be found here. The AtariVox is usually sold on this website, but the store is currently closed.

Chris

Many thanks to everyone who has been testing my game. Here is the second release candidate, which contains the following changes:

1. The grey high-score table is now slightly lighter (when an AtariVox/SaveKey is not used).
  2. Pressing up/down on the joystick during the title screen will change the starting wave (unless the right difficulty switch is set to A).
  3. The wave number speech now increases to a higher pitch.
  4. The description of "continue mode" in the manual has been updated.

I will be very grateful for testing by people who own AtariVox/SaveKey units. For some reason the game isn't saving the high scores when I use my AtariVox, although it works fine with my SaveKey and with Stella. I suspect that my AtariVox may have a bad EEPROM, or there is a bad connection.

Thanks,

Chris

JunoFirst_RC2.zip

Juno_First_RC2_NTSC.bin

Juno_First_RC2_PAL60.bin

README.txt

This is one fine game. When will it be released in cart?

The game will be released through AtariAge on a cart in time for the holidays. The only remaining tasks are some further game testing, and the production of the manual.

I LOVE the RC2! I can't wait to purchase this in cart form.

May I suggest offering a limited edition w/box? This title definitely deserves one!

The question of a box has come up several times in this thread. However, it will make the game expensive and I want as many people as possible to be able to enjoy it. I've no objection to someone producing an add-on box, but the game itself will be released as just a cart and manual.

Chris

• 1 month later...

This release candidate should fix an elusive screen jumping issue. If no further bugs are found, then this version will be the final one. I will be grateful for any final testing of this game. To check for screen jumps in Stella, press the back-tick key ` and type breakif {_scan>#262} at the debugger prompt, followed by run. If the game returns to be debugger at any point then let me know.

Many thanks,

Chris

Juno_First_RC3_NTSC.bin

Juno_First_RC3_PAL60.bin

Edited by cd-w

OK, the game is now finished and should be available from the AA store sometime in December. Here is the obligatory YouTube video of the gameplay (excuse the poor quality):

Thanks to everyone here for their help.

Chris

Edited by cd-w

You have to get a new Youtube clip up with AtariVox audio in it. Of course, this had to happen around the time that I just loaned out my AtariVox to Chris Wilkson to add the mixer to his A/V mod, otherwise I'd try to do that myself ;)

I would like to add speech to the clip, but I don't have any way to mix it in with the audio. It would be great if someone who has got the right equipment could produce a clip with speech?

Chris

• 2 months later...