IGNORED

Atari Jaguar Flash Cartridge - need software

RGB_Gamer

I got an Atari Jaguar Flash cartridge just like the one pictured here:

http://www.starcat-dev.de/subdomains/atari...sh/flash_d.html

unfortunately, the link with software on this page doesn't work. Was wondering if anyone has any software for this? How about using an XP machine running 98 via VMware?

thanks!

Edited by eastbayarb

This is the official Atari software. Runs only in DOS, and requires a real parallel port.

Flash.zip

Thank you! Do you have one of these and able to load ROMs onto it? I got this with Supercross already on the cart.

*edit* I set up a PC with Windows 98 and restarted in MS-DOS mode. Was able to get the utility to transfer a jaguar ROM (Castle wolfenstein, which I just named, wolf.rom) to the cart, but according to the instructions, the program should have started. All I get is a green screen saying the transfer was successful but nothing happens. I then disconnect the parallel port cable from the cart and turn the Jaguar off then on but just a black screen.

Any ideas how to get ROMs to work on this thing?

Edited by eastbayarb

You got the flash.com program to transfer the file to the flashcart, good. :) Now the program should have started. :( You say Castle Wolfenstein (VCS), do you mean Wolfenstein3D for the Jaguar? I hope so. Did you change the extension to .rom from something else when you renamed the program wolf.rom? If it was a different extension some converting may be needed first. There may be a program header that needs to come off the program or be put on with Jag specific converters. If you started with a binary you convert your binary into a jag file with bin2jag then you convert your jag file into a rom with jag2card. You might have to change the defaut start address from $802000 to $800000 for it to start as you have to offset the encryption header which is $2000 ($ indicates a hex value). Unless you remove this encryption header with a hex editor.

As you can see there are several things to think about.

You got the flash.com program to transfer the file to the flashcart, good. :) Now the program should have started. :( You say Castle Wolfenstein (VCS), do you mean Wolfenstein3D for the Jaguar? I hope so. Did you change the extension to .rom from something else when you renamed the program wolf.rom? If it was a different extension some converting may be needed first. There may be a program header that needs to come off the program or be put on with Jag specific converters. If you started with a binary you convert your binary into a jag file with bin2jag then you convert your jag file into a rom with jag2card. You might have to change the defaut start address from $802000 to $800000 for it to start as you have to offset the encryption header which is $2000 ($ indicates a hex value). Unless you remove this encryption header with a hex editor.

As you can see there are several things to think about.

yea the program didnt start. Yes, I meant Wolfenstein 3D for the Jaguar. I changed the extension to .rom, because it was .jag before like most games. What is needed to convert roms to work on this thing? do you have one of these flash carts and gotten roms to work on it?

thanks

you should dump the beta before you erase it if you have one buddy! :cool: can you get anymore Flash carts like that?

The game on the cart wasn't a beta and even if it was, i wouldn't know how to dump games off of jaguar carts. It was a full game, which leads me to believe there is some sort of way of putting ROMS on this flash cart. The guy I got it from only had 1 left.

It was a full game, which leads me to believe there is some sort of way of putting ROMS on this flash cart.

Yes, you can. You need .ROM files as ovalbugmann pointed out, a .JAG file is not going to work. Regular rom files also need to be loaded at the correct address.

A typical commmand line would like like:

flash game.rom -p1 -d00800000

yea the program didnt start. Yes, I meant Wolfenstein 3D for the Jaguar. I changed the extension to .rom, because it was .jag before like most games. What is needed to convert roms to work on this thing? do you have one of these flash carts and gotten roms to work on it?

thanks

Yes, I have two Jaguar flashcarts one with a Total Carnage beta on it and the other I received blank, because the guy I got it from said there was a Rayman beta on it and I bought it expecting that to be on there but he said he didn't feel right selling a ROM and it was piracy or some bullshit and he erased the valuable Rayman beta :( before sending it to me, and he bought it from JaySmith2000 who sold it to him with the Rayman beta on it :cool:. So I use this blank Flashcart to run stuff on my Jag.

OK,

What is needed to convert roms to work on this thing?

I'm no authority on Jag flashcarts, by any means, and I still seek help myself trying to get some things to run on it too. If you read my post thoroughly :ponder: the answer to your directly above question is there. :)

I changed the extension to .rom, because it was .jag before like most games.

You can't just change an extension and expect it to work without some converting, in this case.

If you started with a binary you convert your binary into a jag file with bin2jag then you convert your jag file into a rom with jag2card.

So you renamed it wolf.rom, it's really a .jag file - that's good for BJL not flashcards. Looks like a good thing to do before messing with the headers manually and start addresses that flash.rom uses by default, is put the .jag extension back on the program and run jag2card on it.

Use of JAG-files with FLASH- or EPROM-cards

The programarchive JAG2CARD.ZIP is about 19 KB and contains the utility and its sources.

The program JAG2CARD makes it possible to load JAG-files from a FLASH- or EPROM-card.

The above quote is from Matthias Domin his site is here:

http://mdgames.de/jag_eng.htm

So run .jag2card on any .jag program before uploading with flash.rom and see if that helps:

jag2card.zip

I use flash.rom directly from windows98, I don't start the computer in dos mode. A dos window pops-up :) when I drag a program ontop of it. Which is what I do mostly.

If you dragged the rom onto the flash program it will use the default settings, if you want to make changes to the settings used, you need to start the flash program from a command prompt, (command in windows 2000/xp/vista) (command in windows 98) from the run option in the start menu. (Or if you are already in dos mode then, you already have command prompt on screen) If you have an un-encrypted rom to upload to your Jag, you can use the drag and drop method as the default upload address is $802000 and all should run.

Edited by ovalbugmann

thanks

Yes, I have two Jaguar flashcarts one with a Total Carnage beta on it and the other I received blank, because the guy I got it from said there was a Rayman beta on it and I bought it expecting that to be on there but he said he didn't feel right selling a ROM and it was piracy or some bullshit and he erased the valuable Rayman beta :( before sending it to me, and he bought it from JaySmith2000 who sold it to him with the Rayman beta on it :cool:. So I use this blank Flashcart to run stuff on my Jag.

OK,

What is needed to convert roms to work on this thing?

I'm no authority on Jag flashcarts, by any means, and I still seek help myself trying to get some things to run on it too. If you read my post thoroughly :ponder: the answer to your directly above question is there. :)

I changed the extension to .rom, because it was .jag before like most games.

You can't just change an extension and expect it to work without some converting, in this case.

If you started with a binary you convert your binary into a jag file with bin2jag then you convert your jag file into a rom with jag2card.

So you renamed it wolf.rom, it's really a .jag file - that's good for BJL not flashcards. Looks like a good thing to do before messing with the headers manually and start addresses that flash.rom uses by default, is put the .jag extension back on the program and run jag2card on it.

Use of JAG-files with FLASH- or EPROM-cards

The programarchive JAG2CARD.ZIP is about 19 KB and contains the utility and its sources.

The program JAG2CARD makes it possible to load JAG-files from a FLASH- or EPROM-card.

The above quote is from Matthias Domin his site is here:

http://mdgames.de/jag_eng.htm

So run .jag2card on any .jag program before uploading with flash.rom and see if that helps:

jag2card.zip

I use flash.rom directly from windows98, I don't start the computer in dos mode. A dos window pops-up :) when I drag a program ontop of it. Which is what I do mostly.

If you dragged the rom onto the flash program it will use the default settings, if you want to make changes to the settings used, you need to start the flash program from a command prompt, (command in windows 2000/xp/vista) (command in windows 98) from the run option in the start menu. (Or if you are already in dos mode then, you already have command prompt on screen) If you have an un-encrypted rom to upload to your Jag, you can use the drag and drop method as the default upload address is $802000 and all should run.

does jag2card unencrypt commercial roms?

Ok, I am working with Wolfenstein 3D, which I named the file to wolf.jag . I then ran jag2card and it outputted the file name wolf.rom

Then I fired up my Windows 98 PC (tried in a command prompt DOS box and MS-DOS mode) and typed in the following command:

flash wolf.rom -p1 -d00800000

After flash erased the cart and uploaded, it said it was successful but didn't start the game up. I turned off the jaguar, unplugged the parallel cable, and turned the jaguar back on but just a blank screen. I also tried loading to the default adress, and another game (Double Dragon V, which i renamed to dragon.jag and ran through jag2card which resulted in a file name, dragon.rom)

any help is appreciated.

Edited by eastbayarb

Ok, I am working with Wolfenstein 3D, which I named the file to wolf.jag . I then ran jag2card and it outputted the file name wolf.rom

What is the original file name of your rom file? It sounds like you might be renaming a .rom file to .jag just to run it through jag2card - which you don't need to do.

What is the original file name of your rom file? It sounds like you might be renaming a .rom file to .jag just to run it through jag2card - which you don't need to do.

The official file name for Wolfenstein 3D is:

Wolfenstein 3D (1994).jag

I then named it to wolf.jag, ran it through jag2card which outputted a file named wolf.rom, then used flash.com to send to the flash cart

Hello!

I then named it to wolf.jag, ran it through jag2card which outputted a file named wolf.rom, then used flash.com to send to the flash cart

My tool JAG2CARD is not intended to be used with the kind of ".JAG"-files you are talking about. What you have is a plain (and complete) ROM-dump of a 2MB-Jaguar-game-cartridge, it includes the encryption header, so just rename the ROM-dumpfile "Wolfenstein 3D (1994).jag" to "WOLF.ROM" (just to give it an oldstyle MS-DOS 8.3-filename) and then call the Atari-Jaguar-FLASH-tool this way:

Best regards

Matthias

Edited by Matthias

I changed the extension to .rom, because it was .jag before like most games. What is needed to convert roms to work on this thing? do you have one of these flash carts and gotten roms to work on it?

thanks

Hello!

it includes the encryption header, so just rename the ROM-dumpfile "Wolfenstein 3D (1994).jag" to "WOLF.ROM" (just to give it an oldstyle MS-DOS 8.3-filename) and then call the Atari-Jaguar-FLASH-tool this way:

Best regards

Matthias

Looks like before you started using jag2card, in your first attempt you originally renamed this file from a .jag file to wolf.rom just as Matthias said to do above and it was successful in the transfer but not the start/running of the program.

So, it has the encryption header, and apparently this header is OK to have on there and the start address of $00800000 is OK. Hmmmmm...... :?: Matthias :cool: is one of the most knowledgeable people we have here on AA and much more Jaguar technical capable than I am, for sure:) - the man to talk to here. ;) Perhaps, if time permits, he could go over a few of the other variables involved, or requirements needed to transfer this to the Jaguar.

The only thing I can think of is, if your using the flashcart correctly and it says "transferred" so you probably are, is if the file itself is corrupted? Sometimes those rom dumps are. Maybe try another .jag file, maybe from another source, to just rename to a .rom and then flash it, or run it first in a Jag PC emulator to verify the files' integrity.

Edited by ovalbugmann

I changed the extension to .rom, because it was .jag before like most games. What is needed to convert roms to work on this thing? do you have one of these flash carts and gotten roms to work on it?

thanks

Hello!

it includes the encryption header, so just rename the ROM-dumpfile "Wolfenstein 3D (1994).jag" to "WOLF.ROM" (just to give it an oldstyle MS-DOS 8.3-filename) and then call the Atari-Jaguar-FLASH-tool this way:

Best regards

Matthias

Looks like before you started using jag2card, in your first attempt you originally renamed this file from a .jag file to wolf.rom just as Matthias said to do above and it was successful in the transfer but not the start/running of the program.

So, it has the encryption header, and apparently this header is OK to have on there and the start address of $00800000 is OK. Hmmmmm...... :?: Matthias :cool: is one of the most knowledgeable people we have here on AA and much more Jaguar technical capable than I am, for sure:) - the man to talk to here. ;) Perhaps, if time permits, he could go over a few of the other variables involved, or requirements needed to transfer this to the Jaguar.

The only thing I can think of is, if your using the flashcart correctly and it says "transferred" so you probably are, is if the file itself is corrupted? Sometimes those rom dumps are. Maybe try another .jag file, maybe from another source, to just rename to a .rom and then flash it, or run it first in a Jag PC emulator to verify the files' integrity.

I tried several games and none work.

TROUBLESHOOTING

===============

If you experience difficulties, please reread these instructions again and

make sure you've followed all of the steps correctly and are using the proper

hardware. Some common mistakes are:

1) Downloading to the wrong parallel port. Try the '-p1' and '-p2' switches.

2) Using a 'Blue' Stubulator ROM (dated earlier than 2-Nov-94).

3) Not holding the '3' button and/or 'C' button down at the appropriate times

as indicated above.

4) Attempting to download (I think of it as uploading to the Jaguar) a non-ROM image file.

Well, I think the problem lies in the format or header of the program or start address possibly? IDK.

Before we concentrate on that stuff, lets verify the problem is not your manner usage and/or equipment. - That your set-up is indeed functional.

Go here: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/boggyb/cybergolf.htm and download the golf.rar file (Jack Nickolas CyberGolf) and try to upload some of those golf roms - I have personally uploaded those to my flashcart - successfully. :) Hey don't feel bad I have an AvP Alpha.rom file that I cannot get to run on my flashcart either. Lickvitch put a "universal Cart header to make uploading to an Alpine or FlashCart easier" on it but I have not been able to upload it to check it out!!! :( ..... :x

Hello!

When you had purchased the FLASH-card, were you able to start the game which was already on the FLASH-card?

Did you try to start this game (or the later games) using the power-cycling of the Jaguar with the parallel-port-cable being attached or being not attached?

It's possible that the PAL/GAL of your FLASH-card went partially bad.

Kind regards

Matthias

Hello!

When you had purchased the FLASH-card, were you able to start the game which was already on the FLASH-card?

Did you try to start this game (or the later games) using the power-cycling of the Jaguar with the parallel-port-cable being attached or being not attached?

It's possible that the PAL/GAL of your FLASH-card went partially bad.

Kind regards

Matthias

The guy that sold it to me said there was some sort of beta game on it but it was blank

TROUBLESHOOTING

===============

If you experience difficulties, please reread these instructions again and

make sure you've followed all of the steps correctly and are using the proper

hardware. Some common mistakes are:

1) Downloading to the wrong parallel port. Try the '-p1' and '-p2' switches.

2) Using a 'Blue' Stubulator ROM (dated earlier than 2-Nov-94).

3) Not holding the '3' button and/or 'C' button down at the appropriate times

as indicated above.

4) Attempting to download (I think of it as uploading to the Jaguar) a non-ROM image file.

Well, I think the problem lies in the format or header of the program or start address possibly? IDK.

Before we concentrate on that stuff, lets verify the problem is not your manner usage and/or equipment. - That your set-up is indeed functional.

Go here: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/boggyb/cybergolf.htm and download the golf.rar file (Jack Nickolas CyberGolf) and try to upload some of those golf roms - I have personally uploaded those to my flashcart - successfully. :) Hey don't feel bad I have an AvP Alpha.rom file that I cannot get to run on my flashcart either. Lickvitch put a "universal Cart header to make uploading to an Alpine or FlashCart easier" on it but I have not been able to upload it to check it out!!! :( ..... :x

The golf roms load fine!