IGNORED

Another cool thing: fixed point math

Random Terrain

I was moving a sprite left and right and tried to slow it down with a counter. Looked like crap. I also tried to speed it up by adding or subtracting 2. Looked like crap. I then tried fixed point math. Whether you slow it down or speed it up to something like 1.5, it just looks smoother. I even cranked it up to 3.5 and it still looked pretty good. After playing around with fixed point math, there's no way I'd use a counter or plain old regular numbers again for sprite movement.

I used a counter for my "TZ" demo, and I think sprite movement is pretty smooth. I start the single variable used at 50 though, and increase velocity depending on how far the variable moves toward 0 or 100. I prefer this method for the sake of saving a precious variable.

I used a counter for my "TZ" demo, and I think sprite movement is pretty smooth. I start the single variable used at 50 though, and increase velocity depending on how far the variable moves toward 0 or 100. I prefer this method for the sake of saving a precious variable.

Do you have time to make a quick, small program where you can move a simple object around the screen using your technique? Since there would be no extra code for other things, it would be easier to understand and follow.

Thanks.

• 1 year later...

I was moving a sprite left and right and tried to slow it down with a counter. Looked like crap. I also tried to speed it up by adding or subtracting 2. Looked like crap. I then tried fixed point math. Whether you slow it down or speed it up to something like 1.5, it just looks smoother. I even cranked it up to 3.5 and it still looked pretty good. After playing around with fixed point math, there's no way I'd use a counter or plain old regular numbers again for sprite movement.

Do you have a code example of this? I've been looking for a good example of fixed point variables but I haven't found one yet.

Do you have time to make a quick, small program where you can move a simple object around the screen using your technique? Since there would be no extra code for other things, it would be easier to understand and follow.

Thanks.

You can use fixed-point math for moving players without using an extra variable and without needing to do something like Maus is suggesting.

When you set up your variables, do this:

dim p0pos = player0x.a

Then you may add a 4.4 or an 8.8 to p0pos and it will move your player, and you don't need to waste a variable - in this example, a becomes the fractional portion of player0x.

Something like this?

set romsize 4k

playfield:
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
X..............................X