IGNORED

Dungeon (2600 Release Candidate)

s0c7

Having played the new build a few more times, I'm not sure if it's my TV, but the display seems to judder more often than the previous build. I'm using an NTSC 7800 modded with S-video output to play the NTSC version of the game through CC2 on a TV that accepts NTSC fine. Quite often when moving location, the screen shifts slightly down and then back up before stabilising.

Having played the new build a few more times, I'm not sure if it's my TV, but the display seems to judder more often than the previous build. I'm using an NTSC 7800 modded with S-video output to play the NTSC version of the game through CC2 on a TV that accepts NTSC fine. Quite often when moving location, the screen shifts slightly down and then back up before stabilising.
Anybody else come across anything like that on a real TV? I've been sidetracked here lately and haven't put in enough testing time on real hardware. I need to take a look.

Congratulations s0c7 !

I had a lot of fun playing this game, it's very well designed, absolutely immersive and challenging :)

Simone

P.S. : the ??? princess reminded me that scary housekeeper in Jet Set Willy :-o

Many thanks!
  • Like 1

I'll leave it up to Dave as to whether he wants to give any updates on that front. Just keep in mind he's taking his time and trying to make it really nice. Please don't bug him about it. I will say there has been a lot of interest in the artwork. :)

To be honest I'm quite interested to see how it turns out too as the subject matter has potential to be a lot of fun. I've done some tests since the rough I shared with you but that's all so far. I have a couple other label projects I'm working on with Nathan (that look pretty cool if I do say so myself -- some great homebrews coming this year) that are wrapping up very shortly. Once my obligations to those are complete I'll start work on the Dungeon final, hopefully within the next week. Thankfully there hasn't been a huge rush on this which should allow for enough time to get it done right and keep it fun. I want to take a few in-progress snapshots along the way and possibly share a step-by-step how-to once it's complete. But I won't spill any beans. I'll leave the debut of the finished label to s0c7 once it's ready for primetime.

Hmmm.... I just spent an hour playing it on my Krok cart without issue. Vader with a newer TV. Not sure if that is making a difference. As time allows I'll try on one of my other TV's.

To those with a Krok or CC, if you've played the latest build on your system please let me know if you've seen any screen rolls or jumps. I want this to be as compatible as possible with all the different setups people have.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
I'm gonna see if the same thing happens on a CRT as opposed to an LCD TV. Try and rule out the TV being the issue at least.
I still haven't been able to replicate the problem on my system. However I would like to fix this if possible. All the varying hardware out there can make it difficult to have something universally compatible.

Try this version and let me know if it makes any difference on the TV that is giving you problems.

dungeon_rc3_ntsc_.bin

dungeon_rc3_pal60_.bin

• Like 1

Tried both versions of the game on both PAL and NTSC 7800s on an LCD and CRT TV. My verdict? It's the LCD TV causing the judder, it is perfectly still on the CRT. Mind you with this version the only time the picture shakes up and down slightly is when I cast a spell. Moving about and most other actions have no effect on the picture. But I got the judder with both NTSC and PAL versions of the game on both NTSC and PAL 7800s. The NTSC 7800 was connected through S-video and PAL 7800 through RF as well, so different picture types too.

Tried both versions of the game on both PAL and NTSC 7800s on an LCD and CRT TV. My verdict? It's the LCD TV causing the judder, it is perfectly still on the CRT. Mind you with this version the only time the picture shakes up and down slightly is when I cast a spell. Moving about and most other actions have no effect on the picture. But I got the judder with both NTSC and PAL versions of the game on both NTSC and PAL 7800s. The NTSC 7800 was connected through S-video and PAL 7800 through RF as well, so different picture types too.

Thanks for trying it out. I'll give the spell routine a look. I'll be happier if I can get it working without any jumps on that particular TV.

• Like 1

On the 7800 with the cuttle cart, is there a specific bankswitching code that should be used?

Trying F4SC like FATAL RUN but not getting a display with either DUNGEON or TERRANCE AND PHILLIP

F4 should work. Dungeon doesn't use a SuperChip.

I believe I have discovered the cause of the remaining jitter. This version should (hopefully) remedy that once and for all (be sure to let me know if you see any and what was going on at the time).

Thanks to everybody who has helped root out all the little annoying glitches along the way!

Update - 1/6/10 - Added the final beta docs per request.

dungeon_rc4_ntsc_.bin

dungeon_rc4_pal60_.bin

dungeon_doc.txt

Edited by s0c7
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
Happy Halloween to all!

Coming soon...

Nice label - another Dave Dries masterpiece by the look of it? Quite risqué, but we are all adults around here (I think)! I like the AA logo carved into the pole - perhaps Al was a previous victim :)

Chris

Edited by cd-w

Nice label - another Dave Dries masterpiece by the look of it? Quite risqué, but we are all adults around here (I think)! I like the AA logo carved into the pole - perhaps Al was a previous victim :)

Chris

Yup. Mr. Dries strikes again. IMO (prejudiced though it may be) this is his greatest yet.

As for the AA logo, I think Al sends people who have been banned from the forums down there. ;)

Very cool picture. This really needed the high fantasy concept. Is that the final, final?
I can't promise there won't be a final tweak to the game, label, map/poster (oops), etc., but everything is mostly final.
  • Like 1

This game is addictive! Great work! I've been playing for over an hour and can't stop. Please put me down for a cartridge (a low number if possible) once pre-orders start!

This will be in the AA store when it comes back in Dec.

:cool: This is good news! I'll be snagging a copy for sure!

Thanks for the kind words. When David asked me to do the label I knew it would be a fun one based on the theme. All sorts of potentially cool things to draw. We both agreed that the traditional Boris Vallejo/Frank Frazetta fantasy theme would be appropriate for the title.

I particularly had fun drawing the map (oops) since I feel that it'll potentially add a lot of mood and atmosphere in addition to being a functional element of the game, not just eye candy.

I was considering writing up a short "behind the scenes" on the creation of the label later and either posting in this thread or maybe as a response to Nathan's latest blog entry since it's relevant to what he's discussing.