IGNORED

Good quality 130XE schematics?

foft

I just bought the 130XE field service manual. However "Shematic Diagram is 11" X 17" but quality is low with some pins unreadable.". So I was wondering has anyone redone a better version and is it available anywhere? I found a nice ps one for the 800XL here (http://www-user.tu-chemnitz.de/~sgl/atari/schematics/info.txt). However for the 130XE I only found a single page of Jerzy Sobola's 130XE Secam schematics on this forum. This looked really neat though - are the rest of these available somewhere?

Thanks,

Mark

I've got a really poor quality 130XE schematic lying around... it's a photocopy of a photocopy of a reduced photocopy of the original, or something like that, in A3 size. Also a slightly better 800XL schematic (but only *very* slightly better). I can scan those, but I can't promise you anything about their usefulness...

UPDATE: here they are, in case anybody wants to see them (even though, contrary to this thread's title, they are of bad quality)

130XE schematic ~5MB, 2 PNG images at 2550x3508 pixels (300dpi scans)

800XL schematic ~10MB, 4 PNG images at 3508x2550 pixels (300 dpi scans)

Good luck placing the pieces together...

Edited by machf

• 2 weeks later...
I just bought the 130XE field service manual. However "Shematic Diagram is 11" X 17" but quality is low with some pins unreadable.". So I was wondering has anyone redone a better version and is it available anywhere? I found a nice ps one for the 800XL here (http://www-user.tu-chemnitz.de/~sgl/atari/schematics/info.txt). However for the 130XE I only found a single page of Jerzy Sobola's 130XE Secam schematics on this forum. This looked really neat though - are the rest of these available somewhere?

Thanks,

Mark

Jerzy Sobola has a page with many schematic diagram click here for his page.

The 130XE schematic helped me when I found the problem on my dead 130XE the other day..

Regards,

Freddie

• 1 year later...

Thanks,

Mark

Jerzy Sobola has a page with many schematic diagram click here for his page.

The 130XE schematic helped me when I found the problem on my dead 130XE the other day..

Regards,

Freddie

Which page(s) of the 130XE schematic is relevant for a luminance bit not working issue.

I have an NTSC 130XE and it's colors are off. Any suggestions as to fix-- here's the symptoms:

luminance of 0 and 4 give same luminance.

luminance of 2 and 6 give same luminance.

luminance of 8 and 12 give same luminance.

luminance of 10 and 14 give same luminance.

This I see when doing POKE 710 or 709 in Gr.0. I replaced GTIA chip but same results. And the results are same whether I use RF modulator output or A/V DIN5 output.

• 5 years later...

These documents were amazingly helpful to me today and saved untold stress. Many, many thanks to Rybags and everyone else who contributed to this thread.

As the original *.PCX images could be difficult to display in some cases I have compiled them in to a *.PDF to allow easier access and viewing:

Atari 130XE - Circuit Schematics.pdf

I hope they help others as much as they did me.

• Like 2

Hello guys

Jerzy's schematics contain some errors. Unfortunately, I don't have a list of these errors.

Members of the ABBUC can download file "094", which they can find under "Mitgliedschaft -> Downloads-> Downloads -> Baupläne -> ABBUC Baupläne". The 130XE Schematics are at the end of the file. Text used in the file is English.

Sincerely

Mathy

Does anyone have a *.PDF copy of that Field Service Manual which foft mentioned? I could really use a full list of all the capacitors used on the motherboard, both electrolytics and the dipped tantalum ones. The latter I would like to replace with something better like the new non-polarized aluminium electrolytics.

Alternately, are there any other sources for the entire parts list? The 'Sams 130XE Computer Facts' book has a strangely truncated list which only includes some of the electrolytics and non of the dipped ones at all.

I have compiled what is, I think a full list of ceramic and electrolytic capacitors used in the 130XE motherboard:

130XE Capacitor list.txt

This came from the excellent information given by the scans which Stephen uploaded in this thread from 2010:

130XE reference manual, scanned by Stephen for 'Error Codes' thread

Obviously I have only transcribed the capacitor data, so my list has limited use. However I have found that it is the electrolytics and these dipped ceramic/tantalum horrors which tend to go first in old electronics, so perhaps someone will find the material useful if it turns out they too need to replace any units. If I find any errors or that I have missed any components then I will update the text file accordingly.

In addition I have also combined the scans of the whole part list in to an *.PDF document in order to make it easier to view when needed:

130XE - Parts list.pdf

• Like 1

I have compiled what is, I think a full list of ceramic and electrolytic capacitors used in the 130XE motherboard:

attachicon.gif130XE Capacitor list.txt

This came from the excellent information given by the scans which Stephen uploaded in this thread from 2010:

130XE reference manual, scanned by Stephen for 'Error Codes' thread

Obviously I have only transcribed the capacitor data, so my list has limited use. However I have found that it is the electrolytics and these dipped ceramic/tantalum horrors which tend to go first in old electronics, so perhaps someone will find the material useful if it turns out they too need to replace any units. If I find any errors or that I have missed any components then I will update the text file accordingly.

In addition I have also combined the scans of the whole part list in to an *.PDF document in order to make it easier to view when needed:

attachicon.gif130XE - Parts list.pdf

I was under the impression there were no tantalums in any of the ataris. Believe me, you would hear about it if there were, as they literally explode with flames when they go bad. Ceramics don't often fail, which is what I believe the atari's used. Not much point in replacing anything other than the electrolytics.

• Like 3

I was under the impression there were no tantalums in any of the ataris. Believe me, you would hear about it if there were, as they literally explode with flames when they go bad. Ceramics don't often fail, which is what I believe the atari's used. Not much point in replacing anything other than the electrolytics.

Very good to know Joey Z!!! I have just today ordered fresh Rubycon or Nichicon units to replace the 11 resident electrolytics. That said, physically examining a number of ceramic capacitors on my machine has left me feeling they may be bad - discolouration, chipping and so on. I also - unintentionally - sacrificed one while tracing an address line which was broken. With any luck I'll get a bag of fifty fresh 0.1uF units tomorrow as well.

I am currently working on the hypothesis it is a bad capacitor that is causing the video corruption I mentioned in another thread - 'dirty' power on the rails somewhere. This is why I have been so intent on tracking down the various parts-lists.

• 1 month later...

After a fair bit of tearing my hair out I discover there is an error in the schematics linked above. The BASIC chip Legs 21 and 18 have been transposed.

The correct values are:

BASIC Leg18 = Address line 11 (A11)
BASIC Leg21 = Address line 12 (A12)

This is a pretty fundamental error for a schematic and it gives me a lot less confidence in their accuracy elsewhere!!!

• Like 1

The Sobola schematics do have errors, I'm fairly certain Jerzy made them from examination of the device and it's not hard to get some pins/connections mixed up when doing that. His versions also contain modifications done to the system before making the schematic.

The scans of the schematics Atari supplied in the manuals are usually of poor quality, but are the only accurate ones I know of.

http://www.atarimania.com/documents/130XE-Reference-Manual.pdf

• Like 1

The Sobola schematics do have errors, I'm fairly certain Jerzy made them from examination of the device and it's not hard to get some pins/connections mixed up when doing that. His versions also contain modifications done to the system before making the schematic.

The scans of the schematics Atari supplied in the manuals are usually of poor quality, but are the only accurate ones I know of.

http://www.atarimania.com/documents/130XE-Reference-Manual.pdf

I didn't realize they were not official material - in which case I have nothing but praise for Sobola's work!!! Indeed, given that he was no doubt reverse engineering the schematics from tracks and known IC layout I am 100% certain I could not have done half as good a job as he did.

Groan... On further examination you'd think the significance of the date '2003' might have penetrated my dense cranium... Never mind - my apologies for any aspersions I cast.

I will correct the underlying *.PCX files and re-make the *.PDF:

Atari 130XE - Circuit Schematics.pdf

I cannot delete the original upload, so perhaps a mod would do that for me (post #11)?

• Like 2