IGNORED

Flashcart and Multicart List - All systems

I just got the Super UFO SNES Flash Cart. I bought it on Amazon because the price was like $50. I must say the build quality of the shell is really very nice. there is a cap that reveals a top cartridge slot for backing up your carts, save files or using them to play certain special chip games. it is built very nicely.

Upon booting it up I was greeted by a nice colorful animated menu. however, the icons used are not intuitive enough for me, I would prefer text lables. the file listing system sucks because it only reads like the first 10 characters or something like that so games with long names you can't tell what they are unless you go to load them. that needs to be addressed it is annoying. I also tried to load a save file for the game soul blaser that I had from my snes everdrive and it would not read it. I do not understand that. I need to read the manual but it seemed like it did not work which leads me to believe it will only work with save files it creates on its own but then how do you use save files from real carts? or is it the Krikzz cart does not generate proper sram files? I don't think that is the case, can someone verify that?

anyway, this ting is supposed to play any game as long as you have the right cart attached up top. does anyone have a link to the chip types and what games have them? that could be helpful. for the $50 price tag I can not complain much but I hope they update the firmware so the file listing can reveal full file names otherwise I will need to re-name all the games to short name schemes. the cart can re-name files by the way, I guess that is their work-aroud but honestly, if krikzz can do it, why couldn't they?

I also like the side slot for the SD card, it fits flush to the cart and the thing looks really nice... I know I already said that but damn it's pretty.

anyway, that is my half assed review of the thing. I have to use it more and experiment with this save issue and figure that out but otherwise it is a lot of fun on my supa-boy handheld snes console.

Edited by Mark Wolfe

someone needs to make CUSTOM firmware/software for this thing. I'm reading it has pause/speed up/slow down & you can save your progress as a snapshot, they call it a resume file. awesome! a custom software would take thids and make it so much better I'm sure.

edit: I can NOT make heads or tails of the manual. I hate it when companies make manuals have all languages in each chapter instead of breaking it up into language sections. it is so confuing and badly written

does anyone know how to make this thing do save states? or to use sram from the everdrive? sheesh, it is far from intuitive

Edited by Mark Wolfe

anyway, this ting is supposed to play any game as long as you have the right cart attached up top. does anyone have a link to the chip types and what games have them? that could be helpful.

No it can not. A lot of people are confused by this. From the description of the item from the company that made it made it sound like this is the case. I don't know if this was just bad translation or purposely done to mislead (I assume just bad translation). What it means is that you can use special chip games with its cheat feature like a Game Genie. DSP-1 games may work like this with it I am not sure. Its not possible to use other chips in the same fashion as the DSP chips. Since DSP-2, 3 and 4 only have 1 game each pointless to use donor for those. Try it with DSP-1 game though. You cannot use the SuperFX or any other special chip (besides DSP chips) this way to my knowledge. This flash cart was discussed on AssemblerGames forums and a lot of this was discussed.

I doubt you will see new firmware for it. The software it uses is basically straight from the 90s disk drive Super UFO updated to work with SD cards. Blows my mind that they would not fix the 8 character file limit at least as well. To me that is huge problem. $50 though, not bad. I think they were $90 when they came out a few months ago.

are you SURE? I mean it is all over the web in reviews and on their website that it plays all chips all you do is put the right cart up top... well that sucks if not, but hey, only $50. I did figure out how to do the save state but it is buggy as hell when I rebooted it would not work right, sprites were all fucked up

I will put it through more tests and report back, I'll try to play different chip games using the same game up top and see what happens, I'll try the backup, etc. but I still can't figure out the sram, it keeps saying wrong file type, but the files are right from the everdrive and that reads and writes sram just fine on the snes right?

are you SURE? I mean it is all over the web in reviews and on their website that it plays all chips all you do is put the right cart up top... well that sucks if not, but hey, only $50. I did figure out how to do the save state but it is buggy as hell when I rebooted it would not work right, sprites were all fucked up

I will put it through more tests and report back, I'll try to play different chip games using the same game up top and see what happens, I'll try the backup, etc. but I still can't figure out the sram, it keeps saying wrong file type, but the files are right from the everdrive and that reads and writes sram just fine on the snes right?

It's my understanding from my tinkering the DSP yes. FX no way. Don't know about anything else personally.

I thought same thing as you when it first came out. I was thinking that was cool it could play all games if you had donor cart with chip. I showed to KRIKzz he said unless its emulated like SD2SNES does then its not possible for anything besides DSP chips. This was confirmed by other people as well later on when it was discussed on AssemblerGames. I think somone on the DigitPress forums who bought one also confirmed. DSP-1,2,3,4 games can work like this, but no other special chip to my knowledge.

Yes save states can be flakey on systems. This was also discussed on AssemblerGames because someone requested save states on the SD2SNES like the Mega EverDrive. The main problem the Mega EverDrive save states has is with sound. You can only capture the VDP. This does not include audio. So for same with background music a lot of times it won't be there when you resume. Most time once you enter new level or zone and it triggers background music loop again you are good to go. For an emulator this is not a problem because its actually emulating everything. Whereas a flash cart is not emulating anything, except for the special case of the SD2SNES emulating the special chips.

Ikari_01 said that you will encounter similar issue on SNES. He said the only way to possibly fix this is to emulate the audio hardware on the actual flash cart. No easy task he said.

I already figired music would be iffy depending on where in the game you used the save sate but this bug I just witnessed was far worse, I saw the main sprites all running around but there was no background and wacky garbled video garbage on the left side of the screen, and of course no music. sound fx yes but no music. I have to test that out further

I will check the chip thing, I'm sure you're right. I do not go on assembler and I sure as heck don't go on DP but I thank you for the updates. I still don't see how bad it would be for someone to make custom software especially if it is based on the old ufo software, seems iike that should be easy to backwards engineer, no?

I am happy from a collector standpoint to have this for $50, and very glad I did not get it when it was first released. I really want the Ikari sd2snes cart now, perhaps for christmas.

Has anyone bought one of the carts for the turbografx/PC Engine? Is ic2005 a reputable source?

Also, how many/which games need more than the 64MB of the cheapest model? And after that, how many/which games actually use the save function that the most expensive model offers?

Thanks to those that know and can help out! :)

I have a neoflash 128m + save. But I got it from neoflash directly.

The biggest game is StreetFighter 2, which is 20MBit. No games need more than 64MB.

I haven't tried the save function yet...

Hey thanks for the reply!

So I guess if the biggest game is 20, it's just a matter of how many games you want in the card at the same time then, huh? I. Wich case 64 or 128 is fine depending on personal taste...

If you haven't used the save function I take it then mot many games even have a save option? I know some people just like to have the one with most features, but would you say then e ine with save is ot really worth the extra 30 bucks?

Has anyone bought one of the carts for the turbografx/PC Engine? Is ic2005 a reputable source?

Also, how many/which games need more than the 64MB of the cheapest model? And after that, how many/which games actually use the save function that the most expensive model offers?

There's no one game that will fill the cart. What's important to point out that it's Mb (Megabit) not MB (Megabyte). With the 64Mb cart, you only have 8MB of space to store games. You cannot fit the full TG16 romset on either cart.

If you haven't used the save function I take it then mot many games even have a save option? I know some people just like to have the one with most features, but would you say then e ine with save is ot really worth the extra 30 bucks?

The games I played did not save. I read populous has save-games. I got the card for a good price from an atariage member (sektor), the save-feature was just a bonus for me.

You do have heard about the turbo-everdrive? It seems to be a lot better, but it's sold out everywhere.

There's no one game that will fill the cart. What's important to point out that it's Mb (Megabit) not MB (Megabyte). With the 64Mb cart, you only have 8MB of space to store games. You cannot fit the full TG16 romset on either cart.

Yep, gotcha. Even the 128 is stil 16MB and you can't fit the whole thing, so then like I said it's just a matter of how many carts you want/need at one on the card (unless you want the save function, which judging from the responses so far I can probably do without...).

Thanks!

The games I played did not save. I read populous has save-games. I got the card for a good price from an atariage member (sektor), the save-feature was just a bonus for me.

You do have heard about the turbo-everdrive? It seems to be a lot better, but it's sold out everywhere.

Well yeah in your case if you got it like that sure, but in mine having to purchase from the store, if it's pointless and no games I want need the save I think I'd rather choose between the 128M "plain" one and the 64M one, depending on howmany games I want (guess I'll go over my collection and see if all the ones I want will fit in one or the other :) )

On the second topic no, I had not heard of it. Is there a link?I started searching for my flashcarts going through the list in this thread, and that one you are mentioning is not listed. My last purchases were the Everdrives for Master System, Genesis, Game Gear and Super Nintendo, with previous purchases for the Ultimade SD for Colecovision and the Harmony for my 2600s. Besides that some stuff for computers like the Amiga 600/1200 (CF/IDE drives) + PCMCIA/CF card for transfering files, for Atari ST computers (the HxC floppy emulator which can also be used on other systems) and one of those CF7 type boards for the TI-99/4A. Lot's of stuff to play with,,, :)

Why don't you get the new Everdrive for the TG16 ? no game limits at all, put all your games on an micro-sd card. I think it is around the same price too.

Hmm second person already mentioning this... I guess after hitting "post" I'll search around for it... :)

Edited by walterg74

this thread is in dire need of updating, I figured you must know about it because it had been discussed quite a bit just a few pages back or so. Krikzz site has the lowdown, and there are several stores that sell it, the everdrives put everything else to shame:

http://krikzz.com/in...t&product_id=57

do some searching on this thread and find the discussion about it. really great flash cart. I own the 128M version you are talking about, it is cool and all but there is just no comparison with the everdrive turbo

Edited by Mark Wolfe

It's kind of funny to me for some reason that the Turbo Everdrive supports up to a 32GB flashcard when the USA rom set I have is only 38MB big :)

...you know just in case one day you want to have some extra random files in a safe place.

LOL, the feds will never think to look on my turbo everdrive flashcart for my secret files :)

• Like 1

this thread is in dire need of updating, I figured you must know about it because it had been discussed quite a bit just a few pages back or so. Krikzz site has the lowdown, and there are several stores that sell it, the everdrives put everything else to shame:

http://krikzz.com/in...t&product_id=57

do some searching on this thread and find the discussion about it. really great flash cart. I own the 128M version you are talking about, it is cool and all but there is just no comparison with the everdrive turbo

Hi Thanks for your feedback! I actually did take a look, but all the retaileres listed show it as not available/out of stock.. :(

I don't now if these would be available again soon ro what, or if I should just buy the other one?