IGNORED

Flashcart and Multicart List - All systems

There was no date showing when I contacted them, hence I sent the E-Mail. I have also contacted companies which have shown products out of stock in the past, but after E-Mailing them they have had a spare one or two available and if you don't ask, you don't know.

It's definitely not a friendly reply, but bunnyboy has a one man show going with retrousb and he's probably been nagged to death about the production runs of the NES Powerpak.

One thing that I would caution about is the SNES Powerpak has some finicky compatibility with SNES units. I would recommend anyone purchasing one to check out their SNES hardware revision before ordering. Mine is a v1 2/1/3 system (CPU v2, PPU1 v1, PPU2 v3) and it works well.

There was no date showing when I contacted them, hence I sent the E-Mail. I have also contacted companies which have shown products out of stock in the past, but after E-Mailing them they have had a spare one or two available and if you don't ask, you don't know.

It's definitely not a friendly reply, but bunnyboy has a one man show going with retrousb and he's probably been nagged to death about the production runs of the NES Powerpak.

One thing that I would caution about is the SNES Powerpak has some finicky compatibility with SNES units. I would recommend anyone purchasing one to check out their SNES hardware revision before ordering. Mine is a v1 2/1/3 system (CPU v2, PPU1 v1, PPU2 v3) and it works well.

How do you tell the hardware version? I thought the issues were with the clones?

How do you tell the hardware version? I thought the issues were with the clones?

No, there are issues with the real SNES units as well. SNES v2 units (the small ones) are incompatible period, and there are various issues reported with versions of the v1 (large units). The v1 2/1/3 unit seems to be the best one to use with the SNES Powerpak.

I know of two games that will display the CPU/PPU versions of a SNES

- in the options menu of Lion King pressing B A R R Y reveals a secret menu which lists them

- pressing select + start in the menu of Final Fantasy Mystic Quest is said to do so as well

No, there are issues with the real SNES units as well. SNES v2 units (the small ones) are incompatible period, and there are various issues reported with versions of the v1 (large units). The v1 2/1/3 unit seems to be the best one to use with the SNES Powerpak.

I know of two games that will display the CPU/PPU versions of a SNES

- in the options menu of Lion King pressing B A R R Y reveals a secret menu which lists them

- pressing select + start in the menu of Final Fantasy Mystic Quest is said to do so as well

Well I know I have a version 1 unit. Just don't know which model and dont have either game. Maybe it would be best to wait it out for something more reliable. $135 is not chump change. Probably wait for more reviews on the N64 cart and seek that next.

Well I know I have a version 1 unit. Just don't know which model and dont have either game. Maybe it would be best to wait it out for something more reliable. $135 is not chump change.

I agree, it's not exactly a drop in the bucket at that price but it is worth it.

If you're inclined to take apart your SNES you should also be able to identify the versions by the chip stamps i.e.

S-CPU A

5A22-02

2JF 72

S-PPU1

5C77-01

2JU 7P

S-PPU2 B

5C78-03

2JA 91

Should be a 2/1/3 unit. Also, AFAIK most non v1 2/1/3 issues seem to be with DMA loading which can be disabled in the Powerpak config if you have problems.

Speaking of the NES and SNES PowerPaks, would someone be so kind as to explain the mapper compatibility list - I just ordered both PPs (the NES has shipped). I'm starting to sort out the games I want to load and need to understand how the mapper should impact what I choose.

(I don't mean to hijack the thread but it seemed like a logical place to ask the question).

Thanks!

- Jim -

What a great thread!

I'm interested primarily in flash carts that are capable of holding a system's entire collection.

I've got (and love) an NES PowerPak from RetroUSB.

I've ordered an SNES PowerPak from RetroUSB.

I've got a 72-in-1 Vectrex cart & a VecFlash (the old serial version--gotta get me a USB one...).

I've got a 2600 Harmony cart (just got it, messed w/ it on my PC but not in my 2600 yet--seems great so far!).

I've got a FlashAdvance for my GBA (but it holds only a few games at once & uses the parallel port--mine's an old one...).

I'm soon ordering a Cuttle Cart 3 for my Intellivision.

That covers a good number of my systems, but not all. :)

For Jaguar, there's the Skunkboard, but that holds only 1 game at a time. Is it feasible or are there plans for a big ol' cart that could hold many many (all?) Jag games at once?

For N64, there's the Neo N64 Myth Flash Cart, but I can't tell how many games that can hold at one time...

For TG16, there's Tototek, which has a parallel port connection :( and can hold 31 games, if I'm reading that right. Any other options that could hold an entire Turbo library?

For Atari Lynx, there's the Lynx Flash Card, but that holds 1 game at a time...

Any able-to-hold-everything-in-1-cart products for the following?

Atari 8-bit computers

Atari Jaguar

Atari Lynx

Nintendo GameBoy Advance (and GB & GBC)

Nintendo 64 (unless Neo N64 can hold the whole library...)

Sega Master System

Sega Genesis (and 32X?)

Thanks!

-Jason

I'm starting to sort out the games I want to load and need to understand how the mapper should impact what I choose.

You just need to get the latest mapper packs available for each device and put them on the cards. The devices take care of everything else. ;)

Sounds like I should just sit back and enjoy :-)

Thanks!

- Jim -

What a great thread!

I'm interested primarily in flash carts that are capable of holding a system's entire collection.

I've got (and love) an NES PowerPak from RetroUSB.

I've ordered an SNES PowerPak from RetroUSB.

I've got a 72-in-1 Vectrex cart & a VecFlash (the old serial version--gotta get me a USB one...).

I've got a 2600 Harmony cart (just got it, messed w/ it on my PC but not in my 2600 yet--seems great so far!).

I've got a FlashAdvance for my GBA (but it holds only a few games at once & uses the parallel port--mine's an old one...).

I'm soon ordering a Cuttle Cart 3 for my Intellivision.

That covers a good number of my systems, but not all. :)

For Jaguar, there's the Skunkboard, but that holds only 1 game at a time. Is it feasible or are there plans for a big ol' cart that could hold many many (all?) Jag games at once?

For N64, there's the Neo N64 Myth Flash Cart, but I can't tell how many games that can hold at one time...

For TG16, there's Tototek, which has a parallel port connection :( and can hold 31 games, if I'm reading that right. Any other options that could hold an entire Turbo library?

For Atari Lynx, there's the Lynx Flash Card, but that holds 1 game at a time...

Any able-to-hold-everything-in-1-cart products for the following?

Atari 8-bit computers

Atari Jaguar

Atari Lynx

Nintendo GameBoy Advance (and GB & GBC)

Nintendo 64 (unless Neo N64 can hold the whole library...)

Sega Master System

Sega Genesis (and 32X?)

Thanks!

-Jason

Well I personally wouldn't worry about the ability to hold every game in one cart, so much as just having the ability to load a game at all off a flash cart (I'm not that picky if it gets me the ability to play any game I want). Sure it can get annoying with the parallel port cards, but they're slowly being replaced by better alternatives. The turbografx has a better cart option than the tototek one, made by neo. It uses USB to my knowledge. I wish they were still selling/making the skunkboard, so unless you get really lucky with someone wanting to sell, good luck with that :)

For gameboy advance, I know of an option that can cover what you want. My first flash cart was this NDS/GBA hybrid thing called something strange, a movie player thingy. But just the GBA part uses a Compact Flash card and it holds a ton and plays everything (except those NES to GBA port games). There's also a virtual boy flash cart you didn't mention, but that only holds one game. As far as the n64 cart, I'm just happy there's one at all! :) It's been years of waiting for something to come up (aside from copiers which will eventually stop working and go up in price).

There are other carts for the genesis, I think one of them can load games off of a CDr from a segacd (but has no save-ram support). I do hope more carts are put into compact flash, sd, or heck even USB. Since transferring to a mac my parallel port options are... limited. I keep a clunker PC handy but I haven't used it in ages :)

Jason, NEO MYTH's Genesis cartridge, like the N64, can only use their proprietary flash cartridge. I'm not a fan of that, as both the multi-cart and the flash cartridges are expensive. I think the largest they have is 512MB, which will probably hold, I don't know, 60% of all Genesis games from all regions? That would only be maybe 15% or less of N64 games. Had those carts, which I've yet to read anyone actually buying and testing out, taken a common store-bought flash card, a 2GB card would be plenty for Genesis, and 8GB more than enough for N64(probably more than 5GB roms out there).

Edited by Greg2600

Jason, NEO MYTH's Genesis cartridge, like the N64, can only use their proprietary flash cartridge. I'm not a fan of that, as both the multi-cart and the flash cartridges are expensive. I think the largest they have is 512MB, which will probably hold, I don't know, 60% of all Genesis games from all regions? That would only be maybe 15% or less of N64 games.

They do have an SD card version as well though.

Mitch

They do have an SD card version as well though.

Mitch

You mean this? It's only for GBA.

I can confirm this one works as I have it. It does stick up out of the top of the cart a little bit but it works fine.

Apparently the microSD one does not stick out and it should work but it has not been confirmed.

Mitch

For GBA I have this fine little device:

sku_22019_1.jpg

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.22019

For just under $25 it's a steal. Works with a Mini SD at 2GB max in size. The only games I've had any problems with are the NES/Fami mini ones. Supposedly there are fixed roms for those available. In fact I've found one and it does work. I use this mainly a GBA SP but it does work fine in my DS as well.

As for the DS this one works fine for me and is a very affordable $6.20:

sku_18311_2.jpg

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.18311

So no need to spend a fortune like on most other flash carts.

New beta mappers were just posted for the SNES PowerPak that fix the console compatibility problems. I have mine playing on my SNES jr with no problems now. :D

Mitch

Where are the new mappers posted? The web site still has the old mappers.

Bill

Try here. :)

Mitch

What are people using for a flash cart on the original Gameboy?

"- For gameboy, there's a new USB flashable card, which is not yet out of stock:

http://www.robwebb1.plus.com/copiers/copiers.htm

I've bought many a gadget from that seller so I know he's legit, only problem is Euro to USD conversion kind of sucks, but oh well :P Might be other sellers more local, not sure."

Best GB/GBC card I know of (only in fact, aside from the ubiquitous GB bridge thing which is impossible to find).

I would love to have a native Game Boy/Game Boy Color cart that is the size of a GBA game, so I can put it in a GBA SP and have it not stick out. I don't suppose any of you have come across such a thing?

And yes I know there is an emulator, but that's not good enough. If I'm using something that natively plays Game Boy games, I'd prefer to do it for real. I guess I could get the Game Boy cart linked above, but I'm hoping someone has made a shorter one.

I would love to have a native Game Boy/Game Boy Color cart that is the size of a GBA game, so I can put it in a GBA SP and have it not stick out. I don't suppose any of you have come across such a thing?

And yes I know there is an emulator, but that's not good enough. If I'm using something that natively plays Game Boy games, I'd prefer to do it for real. I guess I could get the Game Boy cart linked above, but I'm hoping someone has made a shorter one.

Unfortunately, I don't think there are that many products out there for old GB games (the fact that there's a USB cart at all in a usually parallel world is a great thing). There's not much of a market for them, so ones that are GBA sized might not even be available. The only thing I can think of is the GBA EZ flash + GB Bridge. I have no idea what the bridge looks like in real life, but the GBA part probably doesn't stick out :P It's a shame that all these GBA carts didn't include some kind of native GB/GBC compatibility (since the original GBA could play those games). I've heard it was because of voltage differences or something, but no clue if that's really the case. Anyway, there's also the Gameboy player for the gamecube, these carts wouldn't stick out of that :D

• 1 month later...

Unfortunately, I don't think there are that many products out there for old GB games (the fact that there's a USB cart at all in a usually parallel world is a great thing). There's not much of a market for them, so ones that are GBA sized might not even be available. The only thing I can think of is the GBA EZ flash + GB Bridge. I have no idea what the bridge looks like in real life, but the GBA part probably doesn't stick out :P It's a shame that all these GBA carts didn't include some kind of native GB/GBC compatibility (since the original GBA could play those games). I've heard it was because of voltage differences or something, but no clue if that's really the case. Anyway, there's also the Gameboy player for the gamecube, these carts wouldn't stick out of that :D

Would anyone want to go in for a group buy of the Neo Flash for the TG16?

http://www.ic2005.com/shop/product.php?productid=107&cat=0&page=1

If you get 10 people the price drops to $109 from $149!