IGNORED

real cool racing game for atari 8bit?

Marius

I think Vroom (Amiga) was probably the best of the vintage computer race games.

The annoying thing about many of the era (e.g. Pole Position) was the concept that nudging another car caused your car's destruction, or for it to come to a total stop.

nah, how bout stunt car racer. and it would be faster than on c64 .)

Now that IS a good idea :)

never had Stunt Car Racer on any of my systems cause i had Stunt Driver 2000 for the Acorn3010, was always good fun.

What frame rate did the 8 bit versions have? Presume playable.

I was thinking that Accolades first driving game 'Test Drive' might be a candidate for porting to the A8 (since it also appeared on the c64)

I agree. It could even see Test Drive done in one of the GTIA modes, for a greatly increased frame-rate, yet using some modern texturing/texturemapping and Atari's DLI's it could look incredible still.

I really like Vroom! too, though I've only ever played the ST version. On the plus side, Vroom! works FANTASTIC on a Mega ST running at 16Mhz! Even 2 player split screen is at about 30fps. Either Test Drive or Vroom!/F1GP would be great additions too the A8.

Oh, by the way, I tried Speed Run again and my memory was correct; the control is absolutely horrid and the track is far too narrow. With the combination, I can't even drive past the first curve, I keep hitting the side of the road and instantly stopping, and then it takes a while to get going again. I can't even get out of first gear and the game ends my race soon after for too many crashes or to slow or whatever, Completely unplayable and it's unfortunate as graphically it's pretty damn cool. I can't even get going fast enough to see how fast it is though...

Edited by Gunstar

With some real tight coding, and probably extended ram requirements, it should be possible to code something along the lines of "F1" (from the Amiga) on the little Atari.. The resolution & color depth may not be "up to par" with the Amiga version, but I bet the game mechanics and "feel" could be done..

At the very least, you could get something along the lines of "Bill Elliot's NASCAR Challenge" (from the NES)...

If Geoff Crammond could do Revs on the BBC Micro, I'm sure it would have been possible on the A8. :ponder:

> If Geoff Crammond could do Revs on the BBC Micro, I'm sure it would have been possible on the A8. icon_ponder.gif

Revs can by done for A8 and will run faster than on bbc because this game is converted - i don't know - mayby from cpc - bufor screen organization in memory is the same like on amstrad. bbc must converted if in fly.

sorry for english.

---

hmm, no revs for cpc, hmm

Edited by xxl

I liked super monaco GP in the arcades....didn't think too much of the megadrive version...and also Continential circus/curcuits (converted to home computer fomat)

Others do come to mind...Chequered Flag (Arcade), Final lap (Arcade) and Wec Le Mans (converted to Home Computer format)

Another racing sim that i'd like to see on the A8 (as it has appeared on the other home computers/gaming systems) and that is Hard Drivin' and it's sequel Race Drivin'

> If Geoff Crammond could do Revs on the BBC Micro, I'm sure it would have been possible on the A8. icon_ponder.gif

Revs can by done for A8 and will run faster than on bbc because this game is converted - i don't know - mayby from cpc - bufor screen organization in memory is the same like on amstrad. bbc must converted if in fly.

sorry for english.

---

hmm, no revs for cpc, hmm

Revs was initially a BBC-only game. Geoff Crammond started out writing for the BBC Micro.

I think that the best racing game ever made is Lotus 1 and 2. Lotus 1 exist for Spectrum 48k, Amstrad and C64. On c64 looks great ! Can a8 do the same? REVS has very simply graphics. It looks like Pole Position, no interesting graphics. Vroom is great racing game, but I cant imagine amiga game speed on a8. LOTUS rulezz:)

Edited by Poison

I'm looking forward to Outrun on the A8 as I don't think we have a racing game with a behind-car view and a non-level track? That effect must be a pain to code but some funky dlist work on the A8 may make it easier?

On the ST I liked both Overlander and Chase HQ which both had 8-bit ports, although I'm not sure how 'reasonable' they turned out?

I was thinking that Accolades first driving game 'Test Drive' might be a candidate for porting to the A8 (since it also appeared on the c64)

yeah, but well, regarding the c64 versions of racing games, stunt car racer is the very best imho. not only 3d, but it has great playability and replay value. the test drive games are shiny and nice, but not as good... well, except grand prix circuit, but stunt car racer has the edge on it by its true 3d :)

Match Racer was the titel i was looking for, thanks Larry ! The only thing I did remember was that the game was standing on floppy #036 :) . It's a very funny game, although if you play it alone it gets boring after some time i think, but with two player against each other it's great !

Some other very funny sort of race game is up 'n down from sega.

I am wondering if there is a sort of Bump 'n jump game for the a8 ?

Thanks !

Edited by Thelen

• 6 months later...