IGNORED

New Project...Mini ColecoVision...Finished!

Well as some of you have already guessed, this project is for a mini ColecoVision. What else would it be, right? I've been working on the PCB and electronic components today. I've decided to use pin and socket connectors for everything not directly mounted to the PCB for ease of installation and future repairs. Unfortunately it just takes longer since each wire, now needs two wires stripped at both ends, one for soldering, and one for the connector. Today I got the original On/Off and reset switches pulled and re-wired for the new ones. I'm using the same upgrade pushbuttons I've been using for a while now. I also removed the controller ports and got most of the wiring for them done, but realized I didn't have enough connectors so I had to order a few more. The "Intro Skip" BIOS has been installed and most ot the ICs have been heat-sinked. I'll get the last few on once I get the video and audio leads wired in so that they're not in my way when I'm soldering. I'm also waiting on the new metallic silver paper I ordered for the front overlay so no pics of that yet, but here's one of the PCB almost prepared for the transplant. Pixelboy, I'm almost a little insulted that you'd even question if I would "bother" to move the joystick ports to the front. When have I ever half-assed a console mod? ;)

sneakpreview02uq0.jpg

That's beautiful Man. A tear comes to the Wolfman's eye. :)

There's been quite a few "I want one" posts in regards to my soon to be finished Mini ColecoVision. As of right now I don't have a final selling price in mind (well ok I've got some idea), and I realize there's no pictures of the final product as yet, but out of curosity, what would any of you who wish to posess such a thing of beauty, be willing to pay for such a masterpiece? Before you answer keep the following in mind:

1) I have never (and sure as hell don't plan to start now ;) ) sold a modded ColecoVision (bare minimum mods would include composite video, dual-mono analog audio, and "Intro Skip BIOS) for less than $150.00. (included were a power supply, 2 controllers, and 5 games.)

2) I have sold 2 modded ColecoVisions for over $400.00.

3) I spend a lot of time searching for and choosing components that are aesthetically complimentary as well as industrially functional.

4) Components such as those described in #3, aren't cheap!

5) Real responses requested. No $5.00 answers. ;)

With a price tag around 200-250$, I would definately buy one of those, if I can count on you to service it if I ever have serious problems with it later. We're talking about heavily modded electronics here. :)

There's been quite a few "I want one" posts in regards to my soon to be finished Mini ColecoVision. As of right now I don't have a final selling price in mind (well ok I've got some idea), and I realize there's no pictures of the final product as yet, but out of curosity, what would any of you who wish to posess such a thing of beauty, be willing to pay for such a masterpiece? Before you answer keep the following in mind:

1) I have never (and sure as hell don't plan to start now ;) ) sold a modded ColecoVision (bare minimum mods would include composite video, dual-mono analog audio, and "Intro Skip BIOS) for less than $150.00. (included were a power supply, 2 controllers, and 5 games.)

2) I have sold 2 modded ColecoVisions for over $400.00.

3) I spend a lot of time searching for and choosing components that are aesthetically complimentary as well as industrially functional.

4) Components such as those described in #3, aren't cheap!

5) Real responses requested. No $5.00 answers. ;)

With a price tag around 200-250$, I would definately buy one of those, if I can count on you to service it if I ever have serious problems with it later. We're talking about heavily modded electronics here. :)

I think Pixelboy is in the right ballpark but admittedly with the amount of work that I see you having to perform on each one and the number of expensive components I would be willing to go to the upper end of around $250 - although I would much prefer to have component video and maybe pay a little more.

This is really cool and everything and DD is obviously very talented, but I don't understand why you guys would pay that much for a CV. Honestly, I am not knocking anybody here, but I just don't understand. Is space at that much of a premium that you would be willing to pay 600-700% more than a normal CV? I can understand wanting one if there were a bunch of upgrades and whatnot. This does have an S-Video/ composite mod, so I guess that adds a bit of value. If you were doing the mod yourself, I think that would have some appeal as well for those of you that are all techy.

Anyway, this is really cool. If it were a portable, I would be all over it as well. ;)

Keep up the good work.

This is really cool and everything and DD is obviously very talented, but I don't understand why you guys would pay that much for a CV. Honestly, I am not knocking anybody here, but I just don't understand. Is space at that much of a premium that you would be willing to pay 600-700% more than a normal CV? I can understand wanting one if there were a bunch of upgrades and whatnot. This does have an S-Video/ composite mod, so I guess that adds a bit of value. If you were doing the mod yourself, I think that would have some appeal as well for those of you that are all techy.

Well, I can't speak for others, but for me it's mostly a question of owning a CV that's less prone to breaking. The CV is notorious for its technical problems, but doubledown is notorious for the TLC he puts in his projects, so this mini-CV seems like a good investment. :)

For me it would be the benefit of being able to permanently keep a CV hooked up to my TV in my small entertainment centre. Having a compact unit would also leave room for other items such as favourite carts.

Component video is always an option, but in this case with the style of A/V/S-Video jacks I've used, available space on the rear panel is at a premium. If I used the standard gold-plated jacks like I have used in the past I could get them to fit in addition. The reason I chose these is because I found them a few years back, I really like the way they look, I like how they recess into the casing, they're more expensive (which means beter :cool: ) and I had already purchased them.

As far as why my consoles/services sell for so much or why people pay so much, I don't know. I've seen modded ColecoVisions on ebay sell for $65.00, whereas previously stated I've never sold one of mine for less than $150.00 and one as high as $512.00. I think the demand for something like this is just pure unadulterated lust. A couple of guys in the past had used a saw to cut out the controller holder section of their CV case and glued the outer edge to the side to close up the console and it's really cool. Now I chose to start with a new case because the aforementioned "cut versions" look like just that, a console that was cut and glued back together. Its just something different that not many people will/can have.

In regards to a price for the mini (as currently being built), at $200-$250 you're getting close to the ball park. Maybe you can even smell the hot dogs, but you're not quite there. As of right now this will be one of the most expensive (parts cost) ColecoVisions I've ever built.

Mass production would be great, but not really an option I don't think. For a true production run you'd need to sell some thousands of units, and it just ain't gonna happen I don't think.

I found a UPS notice on my door when I got home today. It's for the metallic silver paper, it's finally here. Unfortunately they won't leave packages, but fortunately they do allow for late night pickups so I can pick it up between 8 and 9 tonight. So hopefully I'll be able to get the overlays printed and installed tonight.

Edited by doubledown

Done! Well cosmetically anyways. I can't get it completly finished untill tomorrow when I get the rest of my electronic parts, but in case anybodys interested... here's a few pics!

I had to use Steve's CV Multi-Cart in the pics for the simple fact that it's the second greatest achievement in ColecoVision innovations! ;)

35cvjrfinal01frontmultixr8.jpg

A top view showing the cartridge slot overlay, "Insert Cartridge Here"

35cvjrfinal02topmulticant8.jpg

The rear as previously shown, but with the A/V jacks screwed in, and the cutout for the power connector.

35cvjrfinal03rearmulticso7.jpg

Here's the size comparison you've all been waiting for! My case is about an inch deeper than the original, but a whole lot narrower!

35cvjrfinal04sizecomparyr3.jpg

And before someone brings it up...yes,

35cvjrfinal05xonoxsy1.jpg

... and yes.

35cvjrfinal06pkkhi6.jpg

And just to complete the package!

35cvjrfinal07sacpgp5.jpg

To get an understanding on how shiny the metallic silver overlays actually are, look at the reflection on the table right in front of the Mini CV. That is the reflection from the camera flash off of the front overlay, and the table is a flat white plastic!

Edited by doubledown
  • Like 2

It looks wonderful! Although I'm still a little worried about the lack of air vents... I know all the chips are heat-sinked, but the board is still bound to generate a lot of heat which needs to be vented...

Aside from that minor point, great job Mike! :D

I'm already on the case and have been thinking about this for the last 2 days. My multi-meter has a thermal probe (basically a digital thermometer). I'm going to run the system in open air for an extended period of time and check the temp, then repeat with the console closed. If it gets warm enough I'm going to add a cooling fan. Realistically the VDP is the only chip that gets that warm at all, which is why that's the only one that Coleco ever heat-sinked in the first place.

And by the by for those people who complain about their Telegames Personal Arcades being "faulty" and not working for very long, add a heat sink to the TMS9918 VDP!

Edited by doubledown

Look, I found a pic of my Mini's long lost Brazilian cousin:

splicevisionsu0.jpg

I like how the console has a door on the front for the expansion slot, but when a module is plugged in, how do you turn it on or off?

Edited by doubledown

Look, I found a pic of my Mini's long lost Brazilian cousin:

splicevisionsu0.jpg

I like how the console has a door on the front for the expansion slot, but when a module is plugged in, how do you turn it on or off?

Maybe the cousins of the expansion modules are designed very differently from the ones we know?

I just got the rest of the electronic parts from the UPS man. Barring any unforseen disasters, this little beauty will be done and running tonight! :P

I thought I'd give props to the hidden inspiration for all of this:

cvjrinspiratoinyp3.gif

This is/was Lee Krueger from ResQsoft's setup that mine was partially modeled after, including the controller.

Edited by doubledown

I got the rest of the parts in today and now the "Mini ColecoVision" is now completely finished. Here's a final pic with the power button on:

35cvjrfinal08poweronkq0.jpg

I also looked into the specs on the VDP and took some temperature readings.

1) The VDP's maximum free-air operating temperature is 160 degrees fahrenheit.

2) The VDP measured 115 degrees fahrenheit after 1 hour of use with the cover off (the temperature maxed out after about 10-15 minutes).

3) The VDP measured 129 degrees fahrenheit after 2 hours of use with the unit closed up (the temperature maxed out after about 1 hour).

4) The room temperature measured 79 degrees fahrenheit (the thermostat said 73, so either one is slightly off or there really is that much difference in my apartment from the hallway into the adjacent workshop).

Conclusion: As long as the room its used in is less than 110 degrees fahrenheit, its golden! I don't have a reading for the VDP in a standard ColecoVision case, but you'd have to assume with no forced moving air it's probably in the 120-125 degree range.

I also looked into the specs on the VDP and took some temperature readings.

1) The VDP's maximum free-air operating temperature is 160 degrees fahrenheit.

2) The VDP measured 115 degrees fahrenheit after 1 hour of use with the cover off (the temperature maxed out after about 10-15 minutes).

3) The VDP measured 129 degrees fahrenheit after 2 hours of use with the unit closed up (the temperature maxed out after about 1 hour).

4) The room temperature measured 79 degrees fahrenheit (the thermostat said 73, so either one is slightly off or there really is that much difference in my apartment from the hallway into the adjacent workshop).

Conclusion: As long as the room its used in is less than 110 degrees fahrenheit, its golden! I don't have a reading for the VDP in a standard ColecoVision case, but you'd have to assume with no forced moving air it's probably in the 120-125 degree range.

Two questions:

1) What was the Mini-CV doing while it was turned on for those 2 hours? It probably doesn't make a difference in temperature whether the VDP is working harder or not, but still, I'm curious.

2) Would it be possible to perform an actual temperature test with the original ColecoVision? If anyone asks, you'll have the real comparison numbers. :)

1) What was the Mini-CV doing while it was turned on for those 2 hours? It probably doesn't make a difference in temperature whether the VDP is working harder or not, but still, I'm curious.

2) Would it be possible to perform an actual temperature test with the original ColecoVision? If anyone asks, you'll have the real comparison numbers. :)

1) For more than 1 of the 2 hours, I was playing games. The rest of the time I was letting the screensaver in H.E.R.O. run.

2) If by anyone, do you mean you!? I definately can though, I'll check it out tommorw after work.

Out of curiousity I checked the weight difference between a standard CV and the Mini, and the Mini comes in 1 lb., 0.1 oz. lighter.