IGNORED

SUPER PORTALS 6

zhinchliffe

It's a bootleg-style "demake" of Portal for the Atari 2600. It isn't just in the style, either, it's actually a real Atari 2600 rom that I programmed. It's for the "bootleg demakes" competition over at TIGSource.

FEATURES:

-two portal gameplay

-aiming feature

-jumping/platforming

-intentional glitches

CONTROLS:

Super Portals 6 uses a unique two-joystick control scheme to be more faithful to the original portal while still conserving the Atari's limitations.

Joystick 1 Left/Right: Move Left/Right

Joystick 1 Up: Jump

Joystick 2 Left/Right: Aim Counterclockwise/Clockwise

Joystick 1/2 Fire: Fire Red/Blue Portals

SCREENSHOTS:

picture7pg1.png

picture8wn4.png

picture9jc6.png

DOWNLOAD (revision 27 - binary, basic source, assembler source included): http://www.mediafire.com/?uqqckjqznet

You'll need an emulator to play it. I recommend Stella.

Looked cool at first, so I gave it a shot. I have no freakin clue what to do. I start the game and immediately get some buzzing noise like I was playing the board game Operation. Then the stuff shows up on a different part of the screen.

I'll give it one more try before I post.. nope can't understand it. Within 1 seconds bzzz then the arrow thingie moves and it's halfway off the left side of the screen going onto the right side.

I'll give it one more try before I post.. nope can't understand it. Within 1 seconds bzzz then the arrow thingie moves and it's halfway off the left side of the screen going onto the right side.

I had the same problem at first too. After you start the game press fire on joystick 2 to bring down the blue portal, it's out of the playfield at the begining.

Nice little game so far but the control with 2 joysticks is a bit complicated.

• 1 month later...

Wow! Just played this in my emulator. It is fantastic! I hope the OP continues on with it. Portal is one of my favorite games - can't WAIT for Portal 2! Took me a little bit to set up my second joystick in the emulator in order to play. Once I started, and saw the gameplay, I started laughing. That is just too friggin cool! :D Great work zhinchliffe!

If you expand upon this with more levels, have you given any thought to maybe a limited release on cart? I would buy one! :thumbsup: 8)

Thanks...

--Timster--

I think the game has some potential.

Suggestion:

The two joystick control seems a bit clunky... at least in emulation (I didn't load it onto my Kroko cart). Why not make it so that holding the action button changes the portal color to be shot (arrow could change color to reflect this) while tapping the button actually shoots the portal? Pressing down on the joystick could rotate the arrow.

Thanks for sharing your game... I hope you will continue development.

Edited by mojofltr

• 10 months later...
  • 2 years later...

This is a nice demake just like we've mentioned time ago.

Still has some glitches, probably for the identification of the playfield... (I got outside of boundaries, with trying to cheat or anything else).

I agree with mojoflr about the new interface using only 1 joystick.