IGNORED

The unreachable exit in Montezuma's Revenge

Luc

You should be able to enter a value (in Stella's debugger) to reset your horizontal & vertical positions, I'd think. I don't know the ram locations that correspond to these variables, but a little experimenting should reveal them.

Chances are, there is nothing over there (or it will lead to a garbled screen), since from appearances it doesn't look like the program anticipates the player being able to do so - just a mirror image of the playfield.

I was thinking more of increasing the distance PJ can jump, or even changing the screen setup to make the floors longer. But just changing the horizontal position was indeed a lot easier, thanks for the suggestion.

It turns out that the player's horizontal position is stored in $aa, so all I had to do was increase the contents of that address (I set it to $80) to get to the floor on the right. As expected, there's nothing there: you cannot go to the right because there's an invisible barrier.

Anyway, the mystery's solved now. :)

post-6829-1218009387_thumb.png

• Like 2