IGNORED

Here <== DOS 2.5 source

bob1200xl

Hmmm. It looks like a few bits got toggled here & there... including bits in the directory sectors, so it's not just that the file contents are corrupt, the whole image is.

Is the actual floppy messed up, when you try to load the files in Mac/65 on hardware? I mean, it isn't just an imaging error, is it? (Hoping it is, but somehow I doubt it...)

I couldn't find any docs on Mac/65's tokenized file format, so I'm figuring it out the hard way... will take a while. Probably will start a new thread for it, document what I find out as I find it out, unless someone replies to this and says "You silly person, the Mac/65 file format is documented at (some URL)".

Do you know whether this version of DOS 2.5 was the version that was released? If the disk weren't damaged, and you assembled it, would you get an exact copy of the DOS 2.5 that Atari used to sell?

The floppy is OK - the data was sent over SIO like that, evidently. Some of the files LOAD and LIST (poorly) - some LOAD and do not list at all. I wish it was just an image error... You noticed the '3's in the directories? Would be nice if all the bad characters were a matter of bits 6 and/or 7.

I seem to remember a listing of the MAC/65 tokens somewhere. I've got a lot of stuff I can't find!

This is the DOS 2.5 final code. It should assemble to what was distributed.

Bob

Hmmm. It looks like a few bits got toggled here & there... including bits in the directory sectors, so it's not just that the file contents are corrupt, the whole image is.

Is the actual floppy messed up, when you try to load the files in Mac/65 on hardware? I mean, it isn't just an imaging error, is it? (Hoping it is, but somehow I doubt it...)

I couldn't find any docs on Mac/65's tokenized file format, so I'm figuring it out the hard way... will take a while. Probably will start a new thread for it, document what I find out as I find it out, unless someone replies to this and says "You silly person, the Mac/65 file format is documented at (some URL)".

Do you know whether this version of DOS 2.5 was the version that was released? If the disk weren't damaged, and you assembled it, would you get an exact copy of the DOS 2.5 that Atari used to sell?

Hello, Nir!

Yes, your code is OK. (seems to be, anyway...) Didn't you get it from me? Why is yours good and mine isn't? Quite strange...

No matter - we have the source!

Got anything else, NIr?

Thanks,

Bob

*** try Nir's upload, folks! ***

Here is the source code for DOS 2.5 that i have... maybe it will help

OSS_Dos_2.5_Source.zip

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone else tried to build this source? I had to fiddle with it a bit... the best way I came up with was to assemble to memory, with an offset (.SET 6 in mac/65), then write a little program to take the in-memory image & turn it into boot sectors, DOS.SYS, and DUP.SYS on a new floppy.

If anyone's interested, here's my set of instructions + utility program: build_dos_2.5_1.0.zip

• 4 years later...

Here's a zipfile containing detokenized [1] .m65 files, slightly modified to assemble with atasm 1.07.

I adjusted pathnames in FMS.m65, replaced labels starting with ':' and fixed @ORG and @ERROR macros to work with atasm.

Assemble with:

atasm FMS.m65

It only contains the FMS (DOS.SYS), I do not really care about DUP.SYS.

[1]

http://www.atariage....ze-mac65-files/

fms.zip

DOS 2.5 didn't come out until 85? Hard to imagine all the time I spent on 2.0s. What a bad few years for DOS 3 users, LOL.

"DISK UTILITY PROGRAMS (DUP) VER 3.0 for DOS 2.5 01/10/85"

FMS - Dual Density for Atari 1050 drives (2.50)

--- Copyright and Author Notice ---

Copyright © 1978,1979,1980,1982,1984

Optimized Systems Software, Incorporated.

San Jose, California

THIS PROGRAM MAY NOT BE REPRODUCED,

STORED IN A RETRIEVAL SYSTEM, OR

TRANSMITTED IN WHOLE OR IN PART

IN ANY FORM, OR BY ANY MEANS, BE IT

ELECTRONIC,MECHANICAL, PHOTOCOPYING,

RECORDING, OR OTHERWISE WITHOUT THE

PRIOR WRITTEN PERMISSION OF

OPTIMIZED SYSTEMS SOFTWARE, INC.

1221-B KENTWOOD AVENUE

SAN JOSE, CALIFORNIA 95129 (U.S.A.)

PHONE: (408) 446-3099

Originally designed and coded by

Paul Laughton of Shepardson Microsystems, Inc.

Modified for Atari 1050 and 130XE by

Mark Rose & Bill Wilkinson

of O.S.S., Inc.

January, 1985

Edited by kheller2

I adjusted pathnames in FMS.m65, replaced labels starting with ':' and fixed @ORG and @ERROR macros to work with atasm.

In addition to that, I also changed an occurrence of DFDFL1+FILDIR to FILDIR+DFDFL1 because of a bug in atasm. atasm thinks you are addressing page zero (DFDFL1 = 0) and then segfaults during the second pass.

Just added this information in case somebody decides to convert DUP.SYS and stumbles upon a similar problem.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...