IGNORED

MsPacman with black background

NE146

Hey I just made a quicky Mspacman hack that changes the background to black. Yes it's a simple and minor alteration which literally took me all of 2 minutes. But I did it in response to this thread on the rgvc newsgroup. Someone kept griping about why isn't the background black etc. and others were saying that the programmers did it because of the flicker etc.... and well, it was just getting stupid for the reason it was such a simple thing. :roll: So I figured I'd give them what they wanted...

Anyway, bottom line, I made it. Yeah it's minor crap but if you're interested, it's here: http://www.users.qwest.net/~bapcruz/atari/..._background.zip

• 8 years later...
Yes, you could attach files back then. And the link still works anyway. Probably always will, since NE146 lives in cyberspace ;)

It timed out for me. Didn't work at all.

Have you ever hacked before, RT? This is a simple one that a newbie or a trained raccoon could do. It took me about 5 minutes, and I would have been faster if I weren't such a noob at Dvorak typing.

If you've hacked before, go ahead and skip these instructions:

1) Launch Ms. Pac in Stella.

2) Press ` (left of the '1' key) to activate the debugger.

3) At the prompt enter "trapwrite COLUBK"

4) Press ` to run the program until the debugger stops it.

5) Look for the following code on the right. You may need to press ` more than once.

LDA #$90

BIT $94

BPL LF0F0

LDA #$00

STA COLUBK

6) On the far right next to "LDA #$90" You'll see "A9 90" and 90 means blue. Change it to 00 for black.

7) Enter "saverom mspacblackbg.bin" (or any filename you like)

8 ) Done! 8)

Edited by Zach
  • Like 1

Have you ever hacked before, RT?

I've played around with hacking programs, but didn't do any actual hacking that mattered and hunted for sound effects using Stella. I'm looking for useful hacks that I can link to that people can use instantly instead of telling them to recreate the wheel, even if it's just a simple color change.

I'll post the thing myself if I can get Stella to save it.

5) Look for the following code on the right. You may need to press ` more than once.

LDA #$90

BIT $94

BPL LF0F0

LDA #$00

STA COLUBK

After pressing that key about 200 billion times and not seeing the code, I finally figured out that you have to scroll up to see it.

7) Enter "saverom mspacblackbg.bin" (or any filename you like)

I saved it as blacktest.bin, but I can't find it anywhere. When I use the search on my computer, it says the file doesn't exist. Stella claims it's saved, but I don't know where it's supposedly saving it to.

After pressing that key about 200 billion times and not seeing the code, I finally figured out that you have to scroll up to see it.

That detail would have helped. My bad.

I saved it as blacktest.bin, but I can't find it anywhere. When I use the search on my computer, it says the file doesn't exist. Stella claims it's saved, but I don't know where it's supposedly saving it to.

Did you try the same folder as Stella? That's where the file appeared on my system (a Mac).
  • Like 1

Did you try the same folder as Stella? That's where the file appeared on my system (a Mac).

Nope, I looked in the ROM folders and the roaming folder, but I didn't look in the main Stella folder. Thanks, it's sitting right there. I don't know why the computer search is blind to it. I just checked and it seems to be blind to all .bin files.

Hey I just made a quicky Mspacman hack that changes the background to black. Yes it's a simple and minor alteration which literally took me all of 2 minutes. But I did it in response to this thread on the rgvc newsgroup. Someone kept griping about why isn't the background black etc. and others were saying that the programmers did it because of the flicker etc.... and well, it was just getting stupid for the reason it was such a simple thing. :roll: So I figured I'd give them what they wanted...

Anyway, bottom line, I made it. Yeah it's minor crap but if you're interested, it's here: http://www.users.qwest.net/~bapcruz/atari/..._background.zip

But the thread you linked is about Pac-man. :?

The most useful hacks for me are those who convert NTSC colors into PAL colors since I am on PAL console but want to play NTSC only games as well. And it's not always as easy as it may sound.

It's easier than it used to be:

www.randomterrain.com/atari-2600-memories-tia-color-charts.html#ntsc_pal_color_conversion

Nope, I looked in the ROM folders and the roaming folder, but I didn't look in the main Stella folder. Thanks, it's sitting right there. I don't know why the computer search is blind to it. I just checked and it seems to be blind to all .bin files.

This will be fixed for the next release. Specfically, saving a ROM places it in weird places on different systems. The worst case is probably OSX, where it can try to save it into the Stella app directory itself (which is a big no-no on that platform).

I plan to have it default to some sensible location, like the users' home directory, or the desktop or something. BTW, you can also right-click on the assembly area to get a menu item for saving a ROM. This will also be extended to allow for selecting the directory/location to place the file.

Yes, you could attach files back then. And the link still works anyway. Probably always will, since NE146 lives in cyberspace ;)

It timed out for me. Didn't work at all.

Wow kind of crazy we're at a point where 9 year old threads still exist. :lol: The link worked for me as well.. man that is some OLD webspace from an old ISP that I stopped using since 1999... but the webpsace and the ability to use it still remains. Not sure why it wouldn't work for you RT, but anyway I've attached it even though it's moot at this point. :)

I think you really need to ramp up your search capabilities and install the tiny simple program called "Everything". It only takes a minute or two to catalog every single file on your pc, and from that point on ANY search will take a split second and literally show you everything. All the .bin files would be yours to see.. One of the essential pieces of software for a PC imho :P

ms.pac-man_black_background.zip

Edited by NE146