IGNORED

A thread for new Atari 2600 tunes

thegoldenband

Hey, all --

I thought it might be nice to have a thread for newly-composed Atari 2600 tunes -- composed, that is, by me and by anyone else who might want to participate. Part of the idea is to put more music at the disposal of homebrew authors, so that if someone needs a tune for their game, they can look here first and see if anything's a good fit. If not, hey, at least it's better than having 'em sit moribund on one's hard drive.

My effort of the day was cued by my girlfriend's suggestion to write something "Nintendo-style, with hearts and flowers and cutesy stuff". Not necessarily my forte, but I gave it a shot:

sept13theme_13.bas.bin

It's just a quickie job, so the "solo" gets a little weedy at times. It's not all that full of hearts and flowers etc., but I can imagine it working for a light-hearted, Bump-'n-Jump-style driving game -- perhaps using both channels for the title screen, and just one channel (bass + drums) for gameplay.

Edited by thegoldenband

Thanks, and definitely -- just let me know which one when you're ready, and I'll give you the source code! I'd also prefer to give priority to projects that are going to end up on carts, since that's more useful to me from a professional standpoint. (Saying "I've contributed music to a commercially released game" has more cachet than "I've written music that ended up on a game that never got finished.")

Here's another tune, far closer to the usual "classic" Nintendo platformer style, I think:

marioesque_13.bas.bin

Both of my last two tunes have been finished on the 13th draft -- odd, that.

Edited by thegoldenband

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

Here's an updated version of the "Marioesque" tune, now with envelope shaping on the bass notes to make it a bit less strident:

marioesque_17.basmarioesque_17.bas.bin

I know my code is a disaster, but if anyone can figure out why I need the "last two lines...to remove stray notes whose origins I frankly don't understand", feel free to let me know!

Edited by thegoldenband

Here's a track that takes a riff from my "underwater" theme, first seen here, and adds a delay effect to it. First, the bare framework:

underwater_delay4a.basunderwater_delay4a.bas.bin

And a more elaborate version with other parts and drums (press fire to turn the drums off):

underwater_delay4k.basunderwater_delay4k.bas.bin

Both of these were done simply in the spirit of experimenting to see whether I could get four levels of realistic-sounding delay, and whether I could convincingly fit in other parts "around the edges". The drums, especially, could conceivably be far more elaborate.