IGNORED

recommend DS games for me

Atari5200

As a spin off of a post on my last thread, I don't know what's really out there for the DS other than posts I read here and ads I see on Gamefaqs. Retail has totally blown it for DS software. Here's what I like and have for the PSP, can you recommend any similar style games on the DS

God of War

Socom

NFS Carbon

Untold Legends

Outrun 2006

Sega Genesis collection

GTA Liberty City Stories

Madden 07

Star Wars Battlefront II

Medal of Honor

I am aware of Contra IV and Dimentium the Ward:

I have for the DS

Castlevania Portiat of Ruin

Mario 64

Mario Kart

Ridge Racers DS

Nanostray

Mario and Luigi Partners in Time (absolutely terrible game)

Imagine Horsez j/k

Grand Theft Auto for the DS is coming in February.

If you like puzzle games, there's Polarium, Tetris DS, and Puyo Pop Fever.

For platformers, there's New Super Mario Bros., Super Princess Peach, Yoshi's Island DS (don't let the name fool you, it's HARD), and two Kirby games.

Also, I think Arkanoid DS is pretty good.

Yeah, "Kirby Super Star Ultra" is definitely more than just a simple port of the SNES game. Three of the four new games (Revenge of the King, Helper to Hero, and The TRUE Arena) have quite a considerable level of difficulty. RotK is like Spring Breeze in "Extra Game" mode (for those who remembers that on Kirby's Dream Land), H2H can be easy or hard depending on the helper you choose, and True Arena takes all of the new bosses in a "Boss Rush" (though the new last boss for this game is still a walk in the park if you beat Marx already).

I'd say get it.

Racing games

Need for Speed Carbon on the DS is good. (the other two NFs's for the DS suck)

Burnout Legends is good

Ducati racing is good

Asphault Urban GT 2 is really good (the first one is okay, but the second one is better)

Asphault Urban GT2 is probably the best, with thenicest gameplay and handling. I would think NFS Carbon while good on the DS would be better on the PSP since it has a higher res display.

You might like Call of Duty 4 since you are a fan of MOH for the PSP, I personally don't go crazy for FPS's on the DS. Again I would think the PSP would shine in this area, although the DS has a nicer more precise control scheme for FPS's once you get used to it.

Contra 4 is awesome and since you like that you will like Metal Slug 7 ( I have the import but it is coming out in the US if it hasnt already)

If you like Portrait of Ruin, try Dawn of Sorrow

Some games that I think are superb (YMMV)

Space Invaders Extreme (I know it's Space Invaders, but give it a try it is totally different and awesome gameplay)

N+ a simple flash game converted to the DS, but it is addictive and fun I keep going back to this one

the original Nanostray (Nanostray 2 is okay but not as good)

Sonic Rush (awesome sonic game, best since the Genesis days)

Geometry Wars (another awesome retro game)

I hope this helps. There are alot of great games for this system I didn't mention.

Edited by Warriorisabouttodie

Here's what I've enjoyed lately:

Professor Layton and the Curious Village

N+

Space Invaders Extreme

Nervous Brickdown

Geometry Wars

Contra (which you already mentioned)

Soul Bubbles

Civilization Revolution

New International Track & Field

If you like RPGs The World Ends with You is supposed to be fantastic and Disgaea is out if you like Strategy RPGs.

Are there any genres you are particularly looking for? Some (sports, racing) are obviously going to be better fits for the PSP.

DS is a terrible system, but it has some very solid games. A few of them are greatly enhanced by the rumble pack. get one

What I love:

race driver: create and race (better than the new one)

Space invaders extreme.

geometry wars

disgaea--port of ps2 original

dragon quest rocket slime

picross DS

metroid prime hunters (not my cup of tea, but it's a great engine)

jump ultimate stars (import)

and if you haven't tried a phoenix wright game yet, give it a go.

otherwise, most of the rest of the DS library, I can take or leave, with the exception of mario kart, which you already have.

Edited by Reaperman

DS is a terrible system, but it has some very solid games. A few of them are greatly enhanced by the rumble pack. get one

What I love:

race driver: create and race (better than the new one)

Space invaders extreme.

geometry wars

disgaea--port of ps2 original

dragon quest rocket slime

picross DS

metroid prime hunters (not my cup of tea, but it's a great engine)

jump ultimate stars (import)

and if you haven't tried a phoenix wright game yet, give it a go.

otherwise, most of the rest of the DS library, I can take or leave, with the exception of mario kart, which you already have.

This post is hysterical. You don't usually hear this opinion. Persoanally I rate the DS very high as far as quality games go, but I suppose it depends on what you like.

DS is a terrible system, but it has some very solid games....

This post is hysterical. You don't usually here this opinion. Persoanally I rate the DS very high as far as quality games go, but I suppose it depends on what you like.

I'm always glad that I'm entertaining, but what I meant was that I find the physical hardware itself poor. Being a nintendo handheld, it's just going to get some darn good games on it, and those I named are nothing short of awesome, but I can't help but think that the system itself is more useless gimmick than solid design and perhaps the whole concept should have been scrapped early on, if nothing else then for ergonomic reasons.

As I've mentioned in other threads, the GBA's no frills design really targeted me much better, and I really rather play games on something a bit more...standard.

Edited by Reaperman

DS is a terrible system, but it has some very solid games....

This post is hysterical. You don't usually here this opinion. Persoanally I rate the DS very high as far as quality games go, but I suppose it depends on what you like.

I'm always glad that I'm entertaining, but what I meant was that the physical hardware itself is a joke. Being a nintendo handheld, it's just going to get some good games on it, and those I named are nothing short of awesome, but I can't help but think that the system itself is more gimmick than substance.

I don't know it's a step up from the GBA and that's all that really matters in the grand scheme of things. the competition for Ninty in the handheld arena has always bordered on irrelevant. Nintendo never had the fastest or most graphically advanced handhelds (see Atari Lynx, TurboExpress, Sega Game Gear and PSP) but somehow they always get the most good games and to me that is all that matters. Back in the day I owned all the "other" also ran handhelds at one point or another, I finally had to give in to gameplay. Even the lowly originally Yellow and black Gameboy has more good games than the PSP, think about it. It's true.

it's a step up from the GBA and that's all that really matters in the grand scheme of things.

I think the 'step up from GBA' is what we disagree on, and you'll not sway me from that opinion.

Someday though, Nintendo will shape up. More comfortable to hold, sharper screen, much more compact. All I want from nintendo is a 'GBM2' and all they gave me is an oversized system which for some reason my hands find too small to hold without a bulky grip.

Like I say, some great games on it though. Of course I think many of them would have been just fine on GBA as well.

Edited by Reaperman

it's a step up from the GBA and that's all that really matters in the grand scheme of things.

I think the 'step up from GBA' is what we disagree on, and you'll not sway me from that opinion.

Someday though, Nintendo will shape up. More comfortable to hold, sharper screen, much more compact. All I want from nintendo is a 'GBM2' and all they gave me is an oversized system which for some reason my hands find too small to hold without a bulky grip.

Like I say, some great games on it though. Of course I think many of them would have been just fine on GBA as well.

I meant graphically it is a step up from GBA. My biggest complaint with the DS is that to me it is not portable. I use my GBA SP2 when I go out someplace and want to have a handheld game (for example I work every summer for the Parks dept here in town and spend a lot of time just sitting around making sure kids arent falling off a peer into the water or adults aren't drunk etc... basically I get paid to play my GBA). I like the SP2 not just because it has a beautiful screen but because it fits right into my pocket comfortably. I play the DS mostly around the house.

So I actually do agree. I would love to see a new more advanced Game boy Advanced that is as portable and practical as the GBA SP was.

I agree that the DS Lite is just too small for me to hold it properly, but that issue was completely cured with a Nerf Armor case. It really bulks it up and makes it a lot nicer to hold, although that can't help with those tiny buttons!

Great games?

Another vote for SI Extreme

Nintendogs (so sue me, it's cute!)

Super Monkey Ball Touch and Roll

Wife loves:

Mr Driller Drill Spirits

Animal Crossing Wild World

Hmmm...

My favorites include:

The Lego games (Lego SW: Original Trilogy, Indiana Jones, & Batman)

Advance Wars (I liked Dual Strike a little better than Days of Ruin)

Mario Kart is a MUST HAVE (which you do.)

New Super Mario Bros (another must have.)

Sega Presents Touch Darts (I played the fool out of this one.)

Soul Bubbles (a very unique game.)

Speed Racer (Even though the movie sucked this is an absolutely awesome futuristic racer.)

Tetris DS (I play it EVERY DAY.)

Cars Mater National is very good.

Dementium The Ward is pretty creepy 1st person perspective game.

Anno 1701 is AWESOME!!!! Made me check out the full PC game!

I also love Zoo Keeper, even though it's not high production values.

Thanks, there's a few there, especially MS7. I've never seen that at retail and I would've never known it existed had I not asked here. There's at least 3 games I would want to pick up. I want all the Castlevanias, but god, it took me months to find portrait of ruin in the wild. My biggest challenge will actually be finding the games to buy.

thanks again.

While I'm sure that you've done this - just as a note - Circuit City, Bestbuy and Gamestop all have areas on their websites so you can quickly check before even heading out to let you know if a particular game is in stock. I use the Gamestop one all the time to decide which store to do tradeins since I have 5 Gamestops within my home and commute area - it was helpful finding Mario Kart Wii too!

While I'm sure that you've done this - just as a note - Circuit City, Bestbuy and Gamestop all have areas on their websites so you can quickly check before even heading out to let you know if a particular game is in stock. I use the Gamestop one all the time to decide which store to do tradeins since I have 5 Gamestops within my home and commute area - it was helpful finding Mario Kart Wii too!

i'll use that for best buy, thanks. I will never shop at Gamestop again.

EDIT: Metal Slug isn't even on the web site, there's a shock.

Edited by Atari5200

i guess that would explain it then.. Thanks. Yeah after last weeks purchases from Gamestop, I have no desire to go back there again. There's other places I can go for uses stuff where I don't have to peel 500 stickers off in order to make the game look regular, or the instructions will be included.