IGNORED

Wii - The Survival Horror Refugee Camp?

Cybergoth

Hi there!

We might no get any modern Zombie shoot'em ups like RE5 (*), but at least there's several "classic style" survival horror games coming to the Wii:

Cursed Mountain: http://uk.media.wii.ign.com/media/142/14270799/vids_1.html

Silent Hill: http://uk.media.wii.ign.com/media/143/14325477/vids_1.html

The Calling: http://uk.media.wii.ign.com/media/143/14307992/vids_1.html

Greetings,

Manuel

* Except House of the Dead Overkill, Dead Rising and Dead Space Extraction that is :P

Fatal Frame is one of the best survival horror series out there. It should satisfy any horror fans cravings.

Really I love survival horror games. I have always loved RE and I've always loved Silent Hill even more. But Fatal Frame is the only one that really creeps me out. It stands alone IMO.

Another game that is sort of a survival horror game is Eternal Darkness which was only on the Gamecube. It was a fantastic game and there are talks of a sequel.

I remember seeing the trailer for Sadness a long long time ago.

I didn't realize it was still being released.

I love survival horror games. I was really stoked about another game mentioned around the same time as Sadness called Escape from Bug Island.

Unfortunately it turned out to be a turd.

• 1 month later...

I heard (I can't recall where) That The Sadness is in fact being released. Seems it got dropped for awhile but got picked up. That's one to not lose hope over I think.

I dunno about that Cursed Mountain game. 2 minutes and 7 second trailer and they showed maybe 3 seconds of game play screens. (I assume the shots with the red aimer circle were game screens)

Kinda reminds me of the old Atari 2600 game commercials like Worm War 1 where they showed almost subliminal game screen shots and a crap load of filler.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Winter might also make it some day:

http://uk.wii.ign.com/dor/objects/14315298...s/Winter01.html

And the latest Famitsu featured a game that'll probably be called "Feel" or "Ju-On":

http://nintendowiix.net/news_details.php?i...-grusel-konsole

Finally, there's Dead Space. Not sure what to make of it yet (Guided First Person Experience anyone? :lolblue:), but it sure looks good:

Silent Hill Remake confirmed by Nintendo Power mag:

http://kotaku.com/5194470/silent-hill-wii-...-nintendo-power

I hope that is wrong. The original Silent Hill is held in very high regard by fans of the series. If you are going to remake that game you can't just do it with complete artistic license. If they screw with the story and how the game is played it is not a remake. The original RE games got multiple proper remakes (DC and GC) and they were great. Silent Hill needs a good modern update but I would prefer that they leave the story and gameplay intact. In other words, leave the doors and endings alone. And don't make me have to do stupid crap with the wiimote. Ugh, these are the kinds of things that drive me nuts about the view developers have of the Wii.

It's going to be way cool, the Wiimote will serve as cell-phone and flashlight:

IGN Silent Hill: Shattered Memories Eyes-on

Silent Hill's 3D engine is one of the best on Wii. [...] The single most impressive thing about the game is the flashlight, which frankly kicks the one in Namco's action-RPG Fragile to the curb. It's perfectly mapped to the Wii remote so that Harry can quickly point and illuminate anything on-screen and it simply looks incredible. It casts shadows on just about everything -- even on snow flakes.

It's going to be way cool, the Wiimote will serve as cell-phone and flashlight:

That does sound sweet. Creeping along in the dark, shining your flashlight around would be awesome and atmospheric. Now let's just hope the rest of the game is worth something. Obviously you could use the chuck to move around, and the Wii-mote for a light, but then what? Be interesting to see where this goes.

I have no problem with improvements to enhance the game like the way the flashlight works and things like that. What I don't like is where the story is completely different from the original. The story of the original was solid. The other thing I don't like is that Harry has no weapons. You have to run from monsters. Maybe they can pull this off but mark me down as a skeptic. The fact that Origins was not one of the best Silent Hill games and reviews for Homecoming (which I have not yet popped in) also reflect a mediocre title in the series is another reason why I am uncertain about this project.

For those waiting for this one, you might want to stop waiting or invest in imports.

No Fatal Frame Wii outside of Japan, apparently.

I haven't given up hope yet. The game exists and if there is enough demand it'll arrive some day. Maybe Nintendo gives up their publishing option making way for others, so e.g. Tecmos European distributing partner Rising Star Games could deliver it here.

BTW: There's even yet another horror game for the Wii in the works, IIRC Grasshoper is currently working on one under the direction of none other than Shinji Mikami himself.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I just updated the list on top with links to Winter and The Calling trailers. Also finally removed Sadness, that's really been just vaporware I think.

Cursed Mountain already made it onto my shopping list, can't wait for the others to arrive :)

As a bonus, here's a brandnew trailer for The Calling:

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I dunno about that Cursed Mountain game. 2 minutes and 7 second trailer and they showed maybe 3 seconds of game play screens. (I assume the shots with the red aimer circle were game screens)

Just for the record, that's all ingame graphics, except maybe 3 seconds. I've just completed it and it looks that good. The parts with the crosshair are just the ghost-combat scenes. The third person mountain climbing and village exploration is the normal view.

This is such a great game, I like it even better than some of the later RE games, e.g. Zero and Nemesis.

Just for the record, that's all ingame graphics, except maybe 3 seconds. I've just completed it and it looks that good. The parts with the crosshair are just the ghost-combat scenes. The third person mountain climbing and village exploration is the normal view.

This is such a great game, I like it even better than some of the later RE games, e.g. Zero and Nemesis.

So cursed mountain was good or no? It's been popping up on Amazon for pretty cheap here and there and it didn't sound terrible.. nor did it sound exceptional either. The premise was unique though. At least no mansions of deranged scientists and megacoporations creating an infected zombie horde.

Hex.

[ actually had a discussion on figuring out how zombies even work, and decided a cheap weapon would be to convince zombies that they logically cannot even move in the first place. ]

So cursed mountain was good or no?

It's very good. It took maybe 1-2 hours to adjust and get into it, but then I couldn't put it down until it was done. Even though it's ultimately not as scary as say REmake or Haunting Ground, it has a totally unique and fresh setting and a great atmosphere to it throughout. Also there's none of the trademark RE issues like tank controls or item management. And I actually liked the slow pacing. It really fits with the theme :)

BTW: It has over 200 people listed in the credits, there's probably only very few Wii games made on such a budget. And it really shows.