IGNORED

Hook-up of 2600 system on newer tvs?

thirdlegg

-or-

You can get the RCA-to-Coax converter for $3 at Radio Shack and get an RF modulator (Coax in, red, white, yellow/composite out & S-video out) at Big Lots for $10. Also available at your local Wal-friendly-neighborhood-non-union-part-time-worker-big-box-made-in-China-discount-department-mart for $20.

wrong, wrong, wrong...

Edited by fiddlepaddle

When the AA store comes back online, buy one of these (or get one here). Plug it into the cable-in on your VCR, and use the A/V output of that to go into your TV. If you need an A/B switch, you can buy one here, among other places. The place I linked to (Roger's) is local, and they're an excellent place to get cheap cables, adapters, and such.

You can also plug the 2600's RF cable (using the adapter) into the TV's cable-in directly (since sets still ship with analog tuners), but some of them don't like straight 2600 video, and a VCR will attenuate it a bit.

The other option, is to install an A/V mod in your 2600. But you either have to build one, or find someone who does.

Edited by Nathan Strum

When the AA store comes back online, buy one of these (or get one here). Plug it into the cable-in on your VCR, and use the A/V output of that to go into your TV. If you need an A/B switch, you can buy one here, among other places. The place I linked to (Roger's) is local, and they're an excellent place to get cheap cables, adapters, and such.

You can also plug the 2600's RF cable (using the adapter) into the TV's cable-in directly (since sets still ship with analog tuners), but some of them don't like straight 2600 video, and a VCR will attenuate it a bit.

The other option, is to install an A/V mod in your 2600. But you either have to build one, or find someone who does.

I am also in the process of ordering a few of those connectors, but the only problem i will have on my TV, that coax cable connection on my TV broke off.. my cable box is plugged into the back of my TV, by use of the 3 colored wires ( red,white and yellow )........... is there anything i can buy to connect my 2600 to the 3 colored input on the back of my TV set ???

I am also in the process of ordering a few of those connectors, but the only problem i will have on my TV, that coax cable connection on my TV broke off.. my cable box is plugged into the back of my TV, by use of the 3 colored wires ( red,white and yellow )........... is there anything i can buy to connect my 2600 to the 3 colored input on the back of my TV set ???
(see post #4 above) :?

Actually, an RF modulator does the opposite of what you want. An RF modulator converts line level audio and composite video (A/V) outputs - the red (right), white (left) and yellow (video) cables - to an RF signal (coaxial cable) so you can use newer equipment (VCRs and such) with older TVs that don't have A/V inputs. It modulates the signal. The 2600 output is already modulated RF. So you need to convert RF back to A/V. The simplest way to do this is run it through a cheap VCR, since they have a de-modulator built-in. RF in, A/V out.

Actually, an RF modulator does the opposite of what you want. An RF modulator converts line level audio and composite video (A/V) outputs - the red (right), white (left) and yellow (video) cables - to an RF signal (coaxial cable) so you can use newer equipment (VCRs and such) with older TVs that don't have A/V inputs. It modulates the signal. The 2600 output is already modulated RF. So you need to convert RF back to A/V. The simplest way to do this is run it through a cheap VCR, since they have a de-modulator built-in. RF in, A/V out.

Oops! You're right.

I`m totally lost as well.

I bought a Multi component video selector ( which i have to return ).. it doesnt have Coax in..just A/V & S-video in..

I called a few Radio Shacks and Circuit City`s near me, and none either did not have a Multi Component Video Selector

with AV and Coax in... or they didnt know what i was talking about..

I also have an old C64 monitor..how can i hook up the 2600 to it. .. ?? any/all help is greatly appreciated.

I`ll also look for my old VCR, and give that a try

PAulie

I purchased this and it works great. Converts the RF adapter to a coax then I use the switchbox to swap between cable and the Atari. :)
Thanks for the suggestion ClassicGMR. I just received one of those. My old switchbox was starting to fall apart and was giving a really fuzzy picture. You should have seen all the electrical tape holding that thing together. :)

I have a perfect switchbox that came with my Intellivision II and I still get a better picture from the cable I linked to above. I doubt I'll ever use an "old-style" one again. :)

As for the other suggestions... I used a VCR to connect all my RF systems because not only does it do a fantastic job of RF in AV out but the VCR can audio out to my stereo as well! Nothing like playing Advanced Dungeons & Dragons Treasure of Tarmin on surround sound is there. WELL IS THERE?!?! :rolling: hehe

Good News,

I broke out my old VCR..managed to hook it a few different ways.. and now, I can proudly say, my 2600 works..

I even bought a Multi Component Video Selector, so I do have to hook and unhook any cables or wires..SWEET..

Now gonna spend a lot of time, testing out all my carts..including the hundreds of duplicates I have..I have much cleaning to

do on many of them..even though most of my Atari stuff was stored in big deep plastic KMart bins

Ciao for now

Paulie

Okay... I can't make it any simpler than this. This doesn't have anything to do with modding a 2600 - this is just hooking up a standard 2600 to a TV.

A-B switches and adapters are available at a variety of places. You can use pretty-much any VCR. It doesn't even need to be able to play tapes - it just needs to pass a signal through it. Thrift stores should have them for a few bucks.

post-2641-1225361931_thumb.jpg

(click to enlarge)

Edited by Nathan Strum

I did the above through my VCR, since I want to run the audio through the surround sound system, but when I hooked it up, there was a terrible buzzing and the audio is very faint - this doesn't happen when I hook it up to an older TV, it works perfectly, but the Phillips TV and the Yamaha speakers do not play nice. Thoughts?

For the record, the video is glorious. Megamania burgers the size of my fist.

I did the above through my VCR, since I want to run the audio through the surround sound system, but when I hooked it up, there was a terrible buzzing and the audio is very faint - this doesn't happen when I hook it up to an older TV, it works perfectly, but the Phillips TV and the Yamaha speakers do not play nice. Thoughts?

For the record, the video is glorious. Megamania burgers the size of my fist.

I used a cheap VCR for this purpose for several months a couple of years ago. At one point, we had a lightning storm and it stopped working. Nothing lost it but the VCR, and only the converter part. Tapes still play fine, and coax pass through still OK too.

On the older TVs, were you also hooking it up using the RCA outputs from the VCR? I'll assume that's the case.

First, check the VCR by playing a tape in it. See if the audio on that plays okay through your system.

If it doesn't, how is the audio hooked up after the VCR? Does it go into the TV, then into the surround system, or does it go straight from the VCR into the surround system? Does the rest of the TV's audio (DVD player, other video game or cable channels) play okay through the surround system?

If it's going through the TV first, then into the surround system, make sure you're using the correct outputs on the TV ("audio out" or "line out"). Many TVs will let you choose whether the audio output is fixed (full volume all the time) or variable (the TV's volume control affects the output level). Which you use, depends on how you want to control the volume: with the TV's volume control, or the surround system's volume control. If it's on variable, the sound may be turned down too much on the TV, so you'd be getting very little signal. (Note that this would affect everything coming from the TV - not just the 2600.)

The other culprit is likely to be bad RCA cables coming from the VCR, or just bad connections. Try a different set of cables, and be sure they're firmly plugged in. Cheap RCA cables go bad all the time.

Edited by Nathan Strum