IGNORED

Fallout 3

Reaperman

I guess the 'countdown to fallout' thread is a little obsolete since the game's now out. and wow is it awesome. From the 'war never changes' intro to the blackened wasteland. Lives up to the hype--and there was a lot of hype to live up to. Buy it now. I've got the buggy ps3 version, and it's still incredible. I didn't think oblivion was boring until I saw fallout...

There's just so much to see and do, so many stories everywhere.

I'll just paste in my 'exploration so far' log--I posted it over on an rc forum, where there are a couple of us with the game working through it. well I wouldn't say 'working through it' as much as 'goofing off in'

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

exploration log:

I'm about 5 hours in. My character's a sciencey gun nut with a Magnum P.I. mustache. He's low-level so he avoids direct combat more than he wants to but the title seems to reward shy gameplay and exploration, so it's okay. I wandered out of the vault to be attacked by 2 low-level thugs near an elementary school--luckily a passing trader took the gunner out and my baseball bat did the other in.

then I went to megaton, ate some Mentats (ooh they do have sci-fi references in this one) so I could disarm the bomb and fix their pipes. Disarming the bomb got me my first house. I talked to all the right people and decided to take on a fetch quest to deliver a letter to a city over on an overpass, rather than any of the primary paths.

on my way I cleaned out the elementary school near the vault and got the library key. no idea where that is. then I stumbled upon a fortified subdivision waiting for their final super-mutant attack (gee, that sucks guys, well I guess I'll be going then...). Walked another half mile or so and on the other side of bridge was my first super-mutant. I ran past a raider camp and they helped me slow him down, but I got the final shot in and the xp. After killing the surviving raiders I found their stash of cigarettes. I finally did make it to that overpass-city. they want help too, and the people I'm to deliver my letter to are dead. Fat chance of me sticking around.

oh well, back to megaton when I get back to it. why does everybody want me to be their super hero? Yeah settlers, just keep talking about your problems--laziness is preventing me from killing you and stealing your socks.

lessons learned:

submachine gun=worthless

hunting rifle=awesome

shotguns/pistols=okay

cigarettes=valuable+easy to carry

Edited by Reaperman

I guess the 'countdown to fallout' thread is a little obsolete since the game's now out. and wow is it awesome. From the 'war never changes' intro to the blackened wasteland. Lives up to the hype--and there was a lot of hype to live up to. Buy it now. I've got the buggy ps3 version, and it's still incredible. I didn't think oblivion was boring until I saw fallout...

There's just so much to see and do, so many stories everywhere.

I'll just paste in my 'exploration so far' log--I posted it over on an rc forum, where there are a couple of us with the game working through it. well I wouldn't say 'working through it' as much as 'goofing off in'

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

exploration log:

I'm about 5 hours in. My character's a sciencey gun nut with a Magnum P.I. mustache. He's low-level so he avoids direct combat more than he wants to but the title seems to reward shy gameplay and exploration, so it's okay. I wandered out of the vault to be attacked by 2 low-level thugs near an elementary school--luckily a passing trader took the gunner out and my baseball bat did the other in.

then I went to megaton, ate some Mentats (ooh they do have sci-fi references in this one) so I could disarm the bomb and fix their pipes. Disarming the bomb got me my first house. I talked to all the right people and decided to take on a fetch quest to deliver a letter to a city over on an overpass, rather than any of the primary paths.

on my way I cleaned out the elementary school near the vault and got the library key. no idea where that is. then I stumbled upon a fortified subdivision waiting for their final super-mutant attack (gee, that sucks guys, well I guess I'll be going then...). Walked another half mile or so and on the other side of bridge was my first super-mutant. I ran past a raider camp and they helped me slow him down, but I got the final shot in and the xp. After killing the surviving raiders I found their stash of cigarettes. I finally did make it to that overpass-city. they want help too, and the people I'm to deliver my letter to are dead. Fat chance of me sticking around.

oh well, back to megaton when I get back to it. why does everybody want me to be their super hero? Yeah settlers, just keep talking about your problems--laziness is preventing me from killing you and stealing your socks.

lessons learned:

submachine gun=worthless

hunting rifle=awesome

shotguns/pistols=okay

cigarettes=valuable+easy to carry

sounds awesome!!i just finished fable 2(main quest,chose the love/family ending, and finished most side quests)and am thinking about trading in/selling fable 2 to get fallout 3.

I've had much more time to play, and I'm still loving it. The only major thing that bothers me so far is that I have no interest in the main quest at all. Oh I know where to go and everything, I just don't care about it. This is pretty common with me and american RPG's, but I've been hearing it's pretty good. Maybe it just starts slowly. As is, I'm having retarded amounts of fun just picking a road and wandering down it for miles. I think they made the scenery a bit 'too interesting,' because exploration really trumps everything else in this game. (though exploration generates XP which is cool)

I came across Arlington Cemetery last night, and it's my favorite location so far. It's the first major landmark I've come across that exists today, and its one I've seen myself. Oblivion would fill anything resembling a cemetery with gouls, skeletons and necromancers, but fallout proved itself a very different game. Arlington is huge, empty and silent. Walking through it is actually pretty much as moving as the real place, granted in a slightly different way. It's great when a game ends up being greater than the sum of its parts, and I haven't experienced anything like that in a game in at least the last half decade.

from what I hear, the national mall is at least as moving as Arlington. I can't wait to get there.

edit: actually colony wars 3 came for me in the mail yesterday--a game I've been wanting to try out for a *long* time, and I totally forgot about it until this morning, because my ps3 was way too busy with fallout for me to remember it.

Edited by Reaperman

sounds awesome!!i just finished fable 2(main quest,chose the love/family ending, and finished most side quests)

Same here, just finished Fable 2 and now I dive into the Fallout 3 timesink. Boy does it look to be utterly amazing. :)

Fable 2 was fantastic, I really enjoyed the game. As far as the ending...

Man - I knew what the 'right thing' to do was, but how could you not choose a fate where you got your poor doggie back?

;)

I had to get the collectors edition of course.

Everything about this game rocks and exceeds my expectations. Everything keeps within the series canon so far. I'm only about 10 hours in........(damn work :x ) :D

I need more time to play.......the only thing thats getting me is the lack of cities compared to the first two......I explored for about 3 hours and didnt find ONE populated town, other than Megaton. Everywhere was just ghost towns. I must be looking in the wrong places.

It looks good, good story.

Then I started playing it.

I hate the city of Megaton. I can't even find a place to go to sleep to for cheap. Fixed the leaking pipes (which took forever to find that 3rd pipe), that was a quick 200 caps. Which mostly got spent on weapons and ammo and armor and shit. Right now I'm helping Moria with her book research. Did the radation and Super Duper Mart (and nearly died. You didn't know it was dangerous? Lying bitch!). Now I've got to do the mines. That place is further away then Arefu, which I haven't gone to yet because I know I'll die before I make it. Can't disarm the bomb because my explosive skills aren't high enough.

Then I got it. It's the typical American skill/level based RPG. I'm going to be doing the same stuff I did in D2 on the Dreamcast. Running around the perimeter shooting rats and butterflys for hour after hour after hour, trying to build my skill up enough to actually venture into the wasteland somewhat safely so I can build up other skills.

Grrrrrrr.....Not exactly my favorite genre. Don't get me wrong. I'm going to kep playing it. All in all, it is pretty fun and good looking. But I already know I'm in for a lot of fustration and repetition.

Also, would have been nice to have a Mass Effect style sex-scene with Nova. :P

I have been playing this for 3 days and have thoroughly enjoyed it so far. I am one of those guys that loved Morrowind and Oblivion. I am taking my time to finish it for the first time so I enjoy it as much as I can for the first time. I will take another moral route next run through. I hope my bro gets it quick (damned APO). Him and the crew in the gun shop will love it. I would give the game 2 thumbs up. I don't know the replay value yet, but I am guessing it would be moderate to slightly higher if you are willing to put forth the effort. Also I hope for some more area maps in downloadable content. (I haven't covered the whole map yet but I know I will want more)

El

Been a fan of the series since Wasteland & Fountain of Dreams...."Sorta wasteland 2" All the Fallout including Tactis..This is better than I hoped for. Still seems alot like the others...little less humor tho. So fun just to wander the wasteland and kill random encounters. The only problems is that I think it killed my Elite (360). The game froze while loading ...so after a min or two tuned it off and the when I turned it back on I got a ERROR 74.

Now the eliten is on about a year and 3 months since its release...right!....Well MS has a 3 year warrenty on your system...right?.....Well Error 74 is NOT covered....YEP! SOB! $100 & maybe 3 weeks later I'll get my box back....Be alittle late on Gears 2 huh!

Now the eliten is on about a year and 3 months since its release...right!....Well MS has a 3 year warrenty on your system...right?.....Well Error 74 is NOT covered....YEP! SOB! $100 & maybe 3 weeks later I'll get my box back....Be alittle late on Gears 2 huh!

Great, so did they tell you what ERROR 74 is?

Found an error code list here:

http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=484726

Also found posts where people said that Microsoft fixed their system..

After looking at that list, I have to say it's pretty remarkable how problem prone the Xbox 360 is.

..Al

Well, the guide says it can also be caused by a faulty AV cable. Might be worth trying out another cable in there before you send it back.

Damn it, I still would really like to get a 360 (only machine I don't have and there's lots I'd like to play) but I cannot part with money for such an unreliable machine. Anyway, off topic. Sorry.

So Fallout 3. I must admit, I haven't been keeping up to date. I've seen the ads and it looks decent. I'm currently playing another Bethesda game, Oblivion and loving it. Not having played any previous Fallout games, is this a pure FPS or are there rollplayer elements a la Elder Scrolls?

Well, the guide says it can also be caused by a faulty AV cable. Might be worth trying out another cable in there before you send it back.

Damn it, I still would really like to get a 360 (only machine I don't have and there's lots I'd like to play) but I cannot part with money for such an unreliable machine. Anyway, off topic. Sorry.

So Fallout 3. I must admit, I haven't been keeping up to date. I've seen the ads and it looks decent. I'm currently playing another Bethesda game, Oblivion and loving it. Not having played any previous Fallout games, is this a pure FPS or are there rollplayer elements a la Elder Scrolls?

I tried my cables too...cleaned them up...Nothin! I Have HDMI & Composite both same ERROR message.... So its off too MS.. They get another $100 from me!

then I stumbled upon a fortified subdivision waiting for their final super-mutant attack (gee, that sucks guys, well I guess I'll be going then...)

I stumbled upon my first super mutie. Whoa those bad boys are tough. My tactic of heroically hiding behind a large rock formation and dodging exploding rockets was looking to end badly for me - but then some crazy soul started attacking it, thereby distracting it enough to turn around. Then I ran up behind Mr mutie and stuck my AK directly upside his head VATS style and blew it clean off with a few bursts and some nice critical damage.

I tried my cables too...cleaned them up...Nothin! I Have HDMI & Composite both same ERROR message.... So its off too MS.. They get another $100 from me!

This is why I opted to get the extended warranty for $30 a year.

Xbox 360 is without a doubt the crappiest made system ever.

If the games and online weren't so kick-ass, I'd have passed on it. MS really screwed themselves releasing such an unreliable POS.

For every gamer that'll put up with the returns, and put up with the added cost of an extended warranty, there are at least 2 that wont.

I hear the newer Falcons are more reliable and supposedly the Jaspers that should be hitting the shelves soon will be much quieter and more reliable still. When those are confirmed out, I may sell the first unit I bought and snag one. Even tho I do have the extended warranty, I would like a quieter one, and the 60 Gig drive, I definately wouldn't keep tossing $100 at an old pro unit to get it repaired.

Fallout 3 is in my to play queue. I refuse to boot it up until Lost Odyssey is finished, then I think I'll have to flip a coin to see what's next...Fable 2 or Fallout 3. I've heard great things about both.

Edited by moycon

More I play it the more I both hate it and love it.

Got about 30 hours into the game, still only up to level 8. Grrrrrr.

Here are some things that I love. Keep in mind, I've never played the previous Fallout games, so I dunno if they work the same or not.

PERSISTENCE!!! For this I forgive almost everything that is wrong with the game. Persistence is very complete. You can kill something somewhere. Go away, go to another town, do other missions, be gone for days and weeks (in-game), come back, and the bodies and their inventory are still where you left them. Turn the game, do stuff in real life, come back, everything is still there. If only it did realistic time based corpse rotting. This game has got to have one massive save file.

Inventory is weight based, not slot based. So you can carry a lot. Not even limited to a weight limit either as you can still carry more if you really want (at a tactical cost).

Fast travel, tho is has it's limitations.

Gore. Gives new meaning to head shot. Yup, took his head clean off and sent it flying through the air with a shower of blood.

Long. Not going to finish it in 6 hours, like Halo 3. (But then this comes with a caveat. It's only long because it's level/skill rank based.)

Still alot I dislike about it, but it's proving to be a good game all in all.