IGNORED

Atari v Commodore

stevelanc

Is there an 800XL version as in separate from Atari 400/800 version or is there only XL version?

there was no special reason why I mentioned 800XL. I think this game won't run on the 48k 400/800 Atari. I just tested it in the Emulator with "OS-B" and it crashed after the Activision-animation.

grtx,

\twh

Was it targetted for more memory than 48K? Just prefer playing on original Atari 800.

I have that spaceship demo from Rescue on Fractulus. Some of these demos load too many segments rather than one big block.

To be honest, the C64 probably could have gotten a better instrument panel, but I guess a 1 for 1 port was attempted (which they succeeded at it looks like.)

41 - RESCUE ON FRACTALUS

It was not a 1 to 1 port. You see another titlescreen there. And ingame you see some optimized code for the C64. Use an emulation (switching 50/60Hz) and you might see:. The Atari Version is somehow fixed to the screen refresh while the C64 version is running on maximum CPU speed. Using CPU optimizing in the Atari version may give much higher framerates... in theory the Atari version could run 3 times as fast, compared to the C64 version.

RoF was the first released game of that team. What do people think about their experience of any 8 bit computer?

Just look at Koronis Rift. It uses 3D techiques on the A8, you didn't find them on the PC before 1994.

But the C64 was not able to do so, this features got hidden by the gazillions of "Sprite-Scrollers"...

Does anybody have any views on where any titles were launched on both Atari and Commodore - and the Atari version is the better of the two?

Steve

PITFALL 2 Version of Atari 800XL is clearly better than the C64 one. Not really graphically , but the A800 version have a 2nd cave , the C64 not. The 2nd is even lot better than the first one, with lot of new things.

Being a C64 fan since years , i have discover the A800 lately. That's clear that lot of game are better on C64 . But it is pity because i 'm sure the Atari's Hardware is better. (except for SOUND, the C64's SID is so fantastic).

Sadly, The A800 power has not been really exploited.

I'm a programmer , and i know very well the C64 and i had study quite in depth the A800 , i planned to port some game from c64 to A800 . And i'm pretty sure we can do more with a A800 than a C64.

A800 processor clock being faster than C64 , the color palette is bigger , Hardware scrolling are also present , "Sprites" (player/missile) are also here (but i think on that part the c64 is better) ... So much potential... just have a look to the recent Space Harrier port on XL!

Does anybody have any views on where any titles were launched on both Atari and Commodore - and the Atari version is the better of the two?

Steve

PITFALL 2 Version of Atari 800XL is clearly better than the C64 one. Not really graphically , but the A800 version have a 2nd cave , the C64 not. The 2nd is even lot better than the first one, with lot of new things.

Being a C64 fan since years , i have discover the A800 lately. That's clear that lot of game are better on C64 . But it is pity because i 'm sure the Atari's Hardware is better. (except for SOUND, the C64's SID is so fantastic).

Sadly, The A800 power has not been really exploited.

I'm a programmer , and i know very well the C64 and i had study quite in depth the A800 , i planned to port some game from c64 to A800 . And i'm pretty sure we can do more with a A800 than a C64.

A800 processor clock being faster than C64 , the color palette is bigger , Hardware scrolling are also present , "Sprites" (player/missile) are also here (but i think on that part the c64 is better) ... So much potential... just have a look to the recent Space Harrier port on XL!

This screen tearing was something I noted way back when playing these two.

Wonder if that was not a RAM issue. On the Atari, it's easy with ANTIC to just setup the screen with two pages of double scan line high graphics pixels. Render to one, flip, wash, rinse, repeat! Double buffering.

On the C64, it's basically two high-res pages. And it's single scan line, and it's a slower CPU clock. All of those add up to some single buffering going on to speed graphics, and or fit things into RAM, I suspect.

Just look at Koronis Rift. It uses 3D techiques on the A8, you didn't find them on the PC before 1994.

PC 1992: Comanche

Comanche used voxel space. Not the same technique ;)

RoF uses a simple height map grid and to display it, it uses a low amount of polygons. To make it look a bit more "natural" the polgons are drawn with a fractal line routine (which is a 2D tech).

Comanche also uses a height map and just uses slightly different means of displaying it. For height maps displayed with polygons there are other examples.

Edited by Fröhn

I don't think much of Atari's Space Invaders, or of any version on home platforms for that matter (other than 2600).

Amazing that they'd fork out for the rights to a game which is a walk in the park for almost any computer to reproduce, yet bring out something that looks nothing like it.

There was not an official release of Space Invaders on the C64, since Atari personally held the license (and never did an Atarisoft release for any other platform AFAIK), so that is a bad comparison. I have no idea which of the 100's of versions you found. The closest thing to an official release would be the C64 release of "Avenger" (not the previous Japanese versions for the MAX machine).

I do really like that Atari version, though, just for doing it a little different.

Edited by R.Cade

43 - SPACE SHUTTLE : A JOURNEY INTO SPACE

post-6191-1231389855_thumb.png post-6191-1231389861_thumb.png post-6191-1231389868_thumb.png

post-6191-1231389875_thumb.png post-6191-1231389881_thumb.png

Atari screenshots

Ok, Space Invaders is too old game for my taste. This time we try a more complex classic SPACE SHUTTLE. In his time this game is awesome and for some seconds you can feel the power to reach the space. I always remember the 2600 version, the good graphics, and the Atari 8bit version have the same graphics. The C64 version can't reach the same quality graphics because of his reduced color palette.

post-6191-1231389935_thumb.png post-6191-1231389940_thumb.png post-6191-1231389945_thumb.png

post-6191-1231389951_thumb.png post-6191-1231389957_thumb.png

C64 screenshots

Never got into the Space Shuttle title much.

Not sure there is much either machine can't do either. Greater color depth helps this one, but there are still options. Could screen the graphics (that works on C64 nicely actually, because it does not artifact all that much), and even ignoring that, it's kind of thought exercise more than anything else.

42 - SPACE INVADERS

post-6191-1231388131_thumb.png

Atari screenshot

A classic game, well programmed on Atari computers on different versions.

post-6191-1231388140_thumb.png

C64 screenshot

That's not the C=64 version I played...

That's the game I got on cassette when I first bought my Atari 800 for like $900. The graphics are much clearer and more colorful than the later versions of Space Invaders that put shields in the way of BOTH aliens and your ship. This game is about 4 Kilobytes.

I know one area the 64 was definitely better - BBSes. This is what a caller to my BBS experienced:

http://spiceware.org/downloads/commodore/Net-64.wmv

Besides standard BBS features and PETSCII graphics and colors, callers to my BBS that used my MusicTerm software experienced:

3 voice music - even at 300 baud

speedy menus - text was locally cached

animated characters - check the arrows, ? and +

animated sprites - the 64-Net in the top-right corner

play games online with your joystick

fonts could be changed on the fly (useful for some of the joystick games)

One of my best friends in high school ran an Atari based BBS, so at one point I added full support for ATASCII in MusicTerm. I could even watch the ATASCII Movies on my 64, but they were lacking compared to the C/G Movies on Commodore BBSes as the C/G Movies were in color.

I have a blog entry about it if you're interested in more detail.