IGNORED

Atari v Commodore

stevelanc

I can't imagine where he obtain this info. Considering JOE GUNN is on of the best of 2007 and 2008, I wan't to review all these 779 games. I have in mind an amount near to 25.

csdb has a very nice search system. and some ppl are doing nothing but upping everything from present and past. and no I will not restrict this comparison to games. tho even so the c64 has more, but that doesnt show the whole picture, the c64 community concentrates on scene stuff. with 779 releases you dont dare to tell me its dying, then tell me how much a8 overall has...

I can't imagine where he obtain this info. Considering JOE GUNN is on of the best of 2007 and 2008, I wan't to review all these 779 games. I have in mind an amount near to 25.

csdb has a very nice search system. and some ppl are doing nothing but upping everything from present and past. and no I will not restrict this comparison to games. tho even so the c64 has more, but that doesnt show the whole picture, the c64 community concentrates on scene stuff. with 779 releases you dont dare to tell me its dying, then tell me how much a8 overall has...

Doesn't fit your view? so sad.

Check the TIP Animator thread. Since we're talking "everything" you may as well say 150 from there alone.

Then add another 150 or so music pieces. A couple of dozen generic utilities. Several hundred more static pictures.

ok, conversions dont count. it makes no sense, as the winner would be who will make a batch converter and can convert faster....

that makes like 200-250 on the a8 side max. I assume several hundred pix are converts aswell, as the a8 gfx scene has not enough ppl to handdraw so many I guess...

I also wonder why Oswald is still allowed doing insulting A8 friends and bashing the A8 without any consequences.

I have not paid very close attention to his posts and nobody has complained about him. Please feel free to point out any specific posts that have been abusive. But don't do that in this thread, either use the Report button or send me a PM.

Here's the thing. If Oswald is defending the 64 in a topic called "Atari v Commodore" then I don't think there's much reason to boot him. If only Atari owners debated then I think we would have concluded that the 64 causes genital warts by now.

If he jumps into legitimate Atari discussions with bashing, that's another thing.

-Bry

I dunno, the bad language has to go :ponder: Not to mention it's an Atari site, do any of us go to Lemon64 and start arguments?

I remember some examples. and for the record: it wasnt me starting it. ;)

Better reread your posts, it was you starting it. :ponder:

I have statet this before: The Atari had some "construction restrictions" from the beginning, because they didn't care about important stuff by simply not knowing it. Particular the intentional reducing of the colours in hires was done, because they thought a TV cannot display colours in hires. But this was belonging only to NTSC.

The C64 was done for moneysaving causes. It's like buying a cheaper car without a steering helper in a time when every other car had it already.

what moneysaving?! :D

the only restrictions while designing the c64's custom chips were: time&available chip manufacturin technology. Jack Tramiel told the guys there's no budget. if Bob Yannes had more time he could fit like 9 or more channels into the SID with the same tech to the same chip size, but he had to use a poor engineering solution because -lack of time !

the c64 had better steering helper than most other 8bits, and those were the SID& VICII. the motor (cpu) was weaker tho ;)

I'd always prefer this:

over this:

me too. but thats just one game.

Uhh, we are talking Jack Tramiel, it was a cheap machine and as mentione earlier in the thread..looks cheap,feels cheap, high defect rate. :ponder:

it was an answer to this: "Not to mention it's an Atari site, do any of us go to Lemon64 and start arguments?"

Your foul language was long before that, nice try, go back to Lemon64, maybe they will like you better there.

it was an answer to this: "Not to mention it's an Atari site, do any of us go to Lemon64 and start arguments?"

Your foul language was long before that, nice try, go back to Lemon64, maybe they will like you better there.

I suspect they are quite happy we're keeping him occupied over here.

I wasnt talking about foul language, I was talking about who started this argue. and no lemon64 is not my hangout site.

dont think it matters to them, as I post like every 3 month there.

:D Funny :D

I wasnt talking about foul language, I was talking about who started this argue. and no lemon64 is not my hangout site.

Goodnight Oswald, after a 12 hrs drive today, I am beat! Have a good evening!

People that make pictures or music (or a converse software) can continue doing pictures and music forever. Other people can continue playing the machine for many years with the old software. And those things doesn't mean the machine is live. Personally i think a machine without games, apps or demos is dead. (off course always will be a hope of a resurrection)

15 - POPEYE

post-6191-1228627979_thumb.png post-6191-1228627994_thumb.png post-6191-1228628003_thumb.png

Atari screenshots

A lot of fun with this game, one of my favorites arcades on my Atari and C128. Atari version is very playable and fast, despite the low resolution, the programmer did a great job. C64 version is too slow, and it's not according to the feel of arcade version.

post-6191-1228627636_thumb.png post-6191-1228627647_thumb.png post-6191-1228627656_thumb.png

C64 screenshots

15 - POPEYE

A lot of fun with this game, one of my favorites arcades on my Atari and C128. Atari version is very playable and fast, despite the low resolution, the programmer did a great job. C64 version is too slow, and it's not according to the feel of arcade version.

This is one of the games which you easily throw out of the window when playing it on 50Hz. It's ssssssssssoooooooooooooooooooooo sssssssssssssssllllllllllllllllooooooooooooooooowwwwwww

Many games on the Atari run related to the VB: Popeye, Salmon Run, Pole Position and a known game where you have to avoid dropping mines with your Submarine...and so on.

In Salmon Run it is easy to avoid the grizzly at 60Hz. At 50Hz your chance of avoiding the grizzly is low.

At th end of the day peeps, take away all the advantages and disadvantages, both machines are around about sameness

Now lets try and compare the Sincliar Spectrum to an Amiga 1200....only joking, honestly though peeps, if you want to continue with this thread, at least try and do so without the nastiness and bitching about

After all, this is an ATARI 8bit related area

Edited by carmel_andrews

I wonder why nearly all atarians had c64/128, but almost no 64er has a8 ?

Good Question. I had a C128 for 2 weeks at home in the 80s for testing (and buying it cheap by interest) and no game was really interesting there.

Neither Sanxion nor Test Drive or else....

Wow, we are over 54 pages and 1300 posts of this battle already. With the whole sprite thing, it is possible to simulate more than 4 players with a multiplexer with alternating between frames and with DLIs. I have tested a routine got over 20 sprites, only time there was a problem was when they congregated on a single line. The A8 has almost double the clock speed of the C64, so even if the multiplexer consumes CPU time, a ML game can still do many things. Yes, you can say the A8s can get around limits with DLIs and other interrupts. Aren't there raster interrupt techniques with the C64 to get more sprites on its screen? I maintain it comes down to the programmers knowledge of each machine over the machine itself to get around certain limitation.

Multiplexors are pretty standard - from the VCS onwards. The real limitations come from the horizontal limitations. To move a multicolour sprite is probally going to take an entire line ( including IRQ overhead and other Antic fetches ) - so realistically you only have the other sprite active on that line.

I actually find it interesting that both the C64 and the A8 have quite unique sprite subsystems. Nearly all of the other machines - even going up to the SNES implement 'virtual' sprites .. ie: A large number of hardware sprites that share a small number of 'physical' sprites per line.

Good Question. I had a C128 for 2 weeks at home in the 80s for testing (and buying it cheap by interest) and no game was really interesting there.

Neither Sanxion nor Test Drive or else....

Wouldn't it be the fact that the C64 was a newer machine?

I had one briefly when converting a a8 game - but my finances were very tight, so I never bought one to play - by the time the a8 was dead I'd moved on to the ST ( via a Sinclair QL for a brief time )

Also if the C64 sold 20 million - that's way more than the A8 , so it makes sense that a lower % of C64 owners have an A8

good point. I "illegally" bought a C64 when I was at school. It was "illegal" because my parents did not want me to spend my pocket money for that. However, I got one of these ugly C64 I models (brown, bread box style) because I was so freakin' jealous about the big availability of C64 games and the general presence in the stores.

I always had to wait until my parents left the house so that I could start my experiments with the C64. After a while I found out that I could not get comfortable to it. Today I see these main arguments for that:

- the out-of-the-box system/os architecture of the C64 seemed too me extremely simple. I was used to boot system software/games and had with DOS2.5 or MyDos a very user friendly way do handle my files and documents. I never figured out how to create files, rename, lock, format and so on using these Basic commands on the C64 because there was no official DOS.

- another issue was, that I got after a while extremely bored by the repeating style of most of c64 games. I was just used to a bit more diversity in terms of sound and colors. After a while the SID music style and the always brownish looking colors became to me too repetitive. It was hard to find titles which broke out of this scheme (of course there were some nice examples like Turrican which I really enjoyed)

- I had no upgrades/cartridge hardware for the C64 to make the horrible slow 1541 floppy drive a bit more usable. Every time when I wanted to load a game from a disk I had to load one of these "fastloaders" and even then I was shocked how long it took to load a game from disk! Though I had an 1050 speedy upgrade, I remember that even my stock 1050 was faster than this. For me the Atari I/O (except for the tape) was always easier to use and more efficient.

Some weeks later my parents found the C64 in my room. The asked me to bring it back and I was not really pissed by that :) Actually I was happy to get rid of this "problem" :)

Years later I had a friend who wanted to get in touch with the Atari. He was a C64 fan but was always curious about Atari. So we did a deal: organize the hardware and bundle your favorite software. I had a second Atari+Floppy which I did not need. So we off traded a complete C64+Floppy against XE+Floppy.

I still have that C64 II but after experiencing the same thing like earlier (brownish, bad operating system) it went down to the cellar while my Atari XE got upgraded and polished and still has the best place in my living room :)

that's why I love my Atari, no matter how many sprites it can display in a line,

\twh