IGNORED

ColecoVision Power Supply Connector Bad?

RangerG

My modded Colecovision is getting really fussy. First it was the colors, then small lines and misplaced sprites, and now garbled graphics. The power switch seems fine (hte problem everyone talks about), but where the power supply connects in the back seems to be the problem (to my novice eyes). If I tap it in the back where the cord attaches, the graphics go crazy. It seems loose. How would I correct this? Any help is appreciated. The Coleco FAQ suggests to hardwire the power supply - what exactly would this entail? (I can solder minimally and I have taken apart a Colecovision several times) - thus, Im game for simple repairs.

Take care.

I worked on a console once that had the same problem. What seemingly happened is that the female contacts within the plug end opened up a bit causing a loose connection. I fixed it by simply solder tinning the male pins within the console's connector, in effect adding the needed increase in diameter to the pins to make a more positive connection. If you try it add just a little bit to each pin and try untill it's snug, but not hard to press in or pull out.

The internal power supply mod is fairly simple. All you need to do is find a triple output power supply with the proper voltage and amperage outputs that will fit inside the ColecoVision. Install, wire, add an external AC connector and cord, and voila, internal power supply.

Edited by doubledown

I had the same problem with 3 of my CV'S.Ended up being cracked solder joints in the modulator box inside console.I opened up the console,opened up the silver rf modulator box,in the back,where the cord goes in from the tv switchbox,or RF co-axial adapter if thats your case,and resoldered(reflowed) the solder points inside the box,or wherever you see a solder joint in or around that box,re- do it.The loose box was garbling the screen whenever i moved console,which moved the cord.Did this to all 3 of my CV'S,and the problem was fixed.Not sure if this is the solution for all the symptoms you mentioned,but it was the case for me.Good luck.Ive had loose power supply plug issues also that caused the same problems,I just tightly wrapped electrical tape around plug that goes into console.

Edited by Rik

I used a pair of pliers to widen the prongs and this helped, but it wasn't foxed. I think Doubledown's idea of putting solder in the plugs to widen them would help also. But - I found a really easy solution. The plug on the trackball-roller works great. The power supply goes into this and it is much firmer going into the console - no movement, perfect graphics! I'll keep the roller installed for now (play in joystick mode). I'm tempted to cut this piece off and just leave it in my console, and get a new roller (but I hate to hack apart a perfectly good trackball). Anyway - a good solution for now!

I had this exact same problem on mine. I fixed it by soldering all of the connections on both ends of the power cable on the inside of the Coleco. The end that connects to the female plug and the end that connects to the board. I would give that a try since it's very simple.

I had this exact same problem on mine. I fixed it by soldering all of the connections on both ends of the power cable on the inside of the Coleco. The end that connects to the female plug and the end that connects to the board. I would give that a try since it's very simple.

That's something that I could do - I'll try it during the holidays. I think the roller plug works so well because it it is much wider and in effect does this.

Any suggestions on where to find said Triple Output power supplys resonably priced? I've got one CV I toasted thinking it was the vid chips based on a DP article. Much rather rule out power connections first. :)

Probably all depends on your definition of reasonably priced. The one I use costs $40.00, plus the connectors, wiring, AC connector and cable, and installation. But to qualify the price, the power supply I use, outputs a lot more amperage than the original to help power other mods I've installed into consoles which the standard one cannot.

Any suggestions on where to find said Triple Output power supplys resonably priced? I've got one CV I toasted thinking it was the vid chips based on a DP article. Much rather rule out power connections first. :)

Probably all depends on your definition of reasonably priced. The one I use costs $40.00, plus the connectors, wiring, AC connector and cable, and installation. But to qualify the price, the power supply I use, outputs a lot more amperage than the original to help power other mods I've installed into consoles which the standard one cannot.

Ahh, see, my electrical engineering background is nil, so I was searching for a unit with the same voltages and amperages. Didn't realize the amps could be higher and still function. :) That is a step int he right direction. Any chance you'd be willing to share a source on this mod?

Ahh, see, my electrical engineering background is nil, so I was searching for a unit with the same voltages and amperages. Didn't realize the amps could be higher and still function. :) That is a step int he right direction. Any chance you'd be willing to share a source on this mod?

The voltages are what's critical. As they are controlled by the power supply, and required by the console, they have to match... +5VDC, +12VDC, and -5VDC. The console will only draw as many amps on each line as it needs, so the power supply must provide at least what is required by the console. Any more available current is is basically unused ulness other mods are added like lighting, VGA converter boards, or analog to digital audio coverter boards, to name a few that I've done.

Seeing as I'm not performing as many mods as I use to, this one time I'll reveal the secret:

http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail...ey418-CFM40T-01

The installation is up to you! :twisted:

The voltages are what's critical. As they are controlled by the power supply, and required by the console, they have to match... +5VDC, +12VDC, and -5VDC. The console will only draw as many amps on each line as it needs, so the power supply must provide at least what is required by the console. Any more available current is is basically unused ulness other mods are added like lighting, VGA converter boards, or analog to digital audio coverter boards, to name a few that I've done.

Seeing as I'm not performing as many mods as I use to, this one time I'll reveal the secret:

http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail...ey418-CFM40T-01

The installation is up to you! :twisted:

Very interesting! Thanks for sharing your brilliance! :) Time for another project coming on I think! :)

• 3 months later...

Sorry for reviving this thread... but... I just got a pretty good condition PAL ColecoVision (after a cleanup ofcourse) which came with NO power supply :( I found the picture of the power supply and the needed voltages but I don't have exact numbering of the pins... can someone tell me how exactly are the pins numbered for the voltages ? I don't want to fry it. I will use a PC AT power supply, since it has all required voltages...

i.e. if looking at the console from the outside you see the power connector. Is the numbering right for looking at the power connector from there ?

1			2

o			o

o	  o

3	  4

1 = +5

2 = -5

3 = +12

4 = GND

Thanx in advance !

Edited by Tom-Cat