IGNORED

Suntek`s Treasure Island Found

pangasinan

I won an auction recently and in the auction was a PAL Suntek Treasure Island cart.This is a very exciting find as Treasure Island had been previously been just a myth,Rom had been pretty sure that it existed,but without a cart,we couldnt be 100% sure,but a week ago that doubt had been removed .Also in the same auction was a Sunteks Mole Hunter and some other rare carts,in fact there was 4xR10 carts and 1 R9 cart :-o . An amazing auction...

Edited by pangasinan

That is an amazing haul!! :thumbsup:

Is it the same game as the picture on Atarimania shows? Can you do a quick check also if any logo pops up on the screen? IIRC there was room in the rom for a logo. I've always wondered about this.

Again quite a haul. Thar be fine Treasure in the haul, mate. :pirate:

Agreed! Nice side deal :D ;)

Is it the same game as the picture on Atarimania shows? Can you do a quick check also if any logo pops up on the screen? IIRC there was room in the rom for a logo. I've always wondered about this.

nope no side deal here,he had a BIN so i hit it :D

Yes its the same one as in Atarimania,has to be its the only one known :D

Yes its the same one as in Atarimania,has to be its the only one known :D

I have a V-Case pirate of the same name, so it's nice to see the source. It has a label like one of the Fantastic Game labels with the screen divided in four and a Karate dude in one of them.

How about the logo though. Did ya check?

nope no side deal here,he had a BIN so i hit it :D

AMAZING!!

There is no logo on the screen.

It's too bad, but not unexpected. Suntek often put there name on, but there's always hope of finding the original companies logo. I'm not sure if Rom thought this was a Bit Corp, Home Vision, or Funvision title originally. It's nice when we find a logo, but when we don't the mystery remains.

Thank you for checking Pangasinan. I appreciate it. :) And please enjoy your stash; I have a feeling you already are. :D

There is no logo on the screen.

It's too bad, but not unexpected. Suntek often put there name on, but there's always hope of finding the original companies logo. I'm not sure if Rom thought this was a Bit Corp, Home Vision, or Funvision title originally. It's nice when we find a logo, but when we don't the mystery remains.

Thank you for checking Pangasinan. I appreciate it. :) And please enjoy your stash; I have a feeling you already are. :D

Rom's view is taht Suntek didn't make any originals

Rom's view is taht Suntek didn't make any originals

I don't know myself Dino. We do know that some of their releases are clear pirates, like their hack of Space Jockey. Another interesting thing is whether a logo is there or not. For example some games that we don't know the exact origin of have a routine that displays a logo. However we never see a logo on the screen because it is empty, or better put "not there". While the original programmer might have included a logo and then removed it later; it is more likely that the rom has been pirated, and the logo erased to hide some evidence. This theory is strongly supported when we look at games we know have been pirated. A lot of times an Activision game has a logo changed to the pirate companies logo, and other times it is simply erased. Since we know for sure Activison originally did this title then when we see a pirate copy of it with the logo erased, well we can conclude that they or someone else deliberately erased the logo.

Treasure Island is an example of a game with a routine to display a logo, but the logo is erased so you see nothing. Zoo Fun also has a similar routine. With this evidence I do lean more to Rom's side that these are not Suntek originals. I don't know who did them, but Rom probably has a better idea then anybody. Saying that though, disassembly of every different rom can often be more conclusive then intuition.

I think this is the longest post I've made in quite a while. Forgive me if I'm babbling. Too much of the Xmas drinky drinky. :P

Amazing find, isn't it?

Like Zoo Fun, Treasure Island really does exist and carries exactly the same title as I thought it would carry.

I'm now 100% certain that Farmyard Fun:

http://www.atarimania.com/detail_soft.php?...ERSION_ID=19246

also exist as a Suntek label, carrying this artwork:

http://www.atarimania.com/zoom_frame.php?T...amp;NUM_IMAGE=0

For now, this version of Treasure Island is the most original version ever found and most certainly a Rarity 10 cart.

However, I think the mother version was intended to be a Home Vision game, called Treasure Discovery:

http://www.atarimania.com/detail_soft.php?...5324&MENU=2

But that one only exists as vapourware and was most probably never officially released.

Again: congratulations on this excellent find, Pangasinan!

Truly a Holy Grail.

8)

Amazing find indeed - now, where are the boxes? :)

I'm now 100% certain that Farmyard Fun also exists as a Suntek label, carrying this artwork:

Isn't that Pumuckl on that label? I thought he was a German figure, would it make sense to put him on a game sold in Australia?

Cheers,

Marco

Marco,

I know Rainbow Vision carts were sold in Australia, but what about Suntek carts?

Didn't Jens find the whole Suntek pre-production range in Germany?

8)

I can answer that - yes they were sold in Australia, but also in germany.

Edited by Dino

It had to be this artwork:

Because Quelle copied the artwork of all other Suntek titles in their range too.

In this particular case, I even think the artwork was based on original Home Vision artwork, just like the Walker artwork.

8)

Edited by Rom Hunter