IGNORED

Help Test IP.Board 3.0

Albert

Firefox 1.5 is pretty outdated too :) . You should upgrade to Firefox 3 and see if you still have the problem, or at least try it in Firefox 2.

I wasn't going to say it, having already condemned IE6. :D

..Al

I'm having some display issues with NCSA Mosaic 1.0.3 on my Mac Plus, with System 6.0.8. Could you address this? ;) :D

I'm having some display issues with NCSA Mosaic 1.0.3 on my Mac Plus, with System 6.0.8. Could you address this? ;) :D

Yes!

..Al

LOL! Before I clicked the link, I read my post and your response to my wife and she said, "What is it... a link to the Apple Store?". :)

Edited by aftermac

Yeah, something is wrong with the validating process. I need to look in the Invision bug tracker today to see if this is an existing issue, and if not, file some bugs (I've already filed a few for other issues). In the meantime, I am manually validating accounts.

I confirmed that the registration problem is a known issue, with a severity of "High" so I think they'll fix it quickly.

..Al

I just tried it with Firefox 1.5 and while I was messing around in the menus it crashed on me.

Interesting--I'll have to look and see if there have been reports of problems with Firefox 1.5. Which menus were you attempting to use when it crashed?

..Al

It was the sidebar show/hide button. I clicked it a couple times and it crashed. As for why the old browser versions, I'm sure there will be people using those browsers when it goes live and it's better to find the bugs now. :)

Isn't that why we are testing. ;)

Mitch

It was the sidebar show/hide button. I clicked it a couple times and it crashed. As for why the old browser versions, I'm sure there will be people using those browsers when it goes live and it's better to find the bugs now. :)

Well, yes and no. I don't think Invision is going to spend much time worrying about problems with old browsers. They've pretty much written off IE6 already, since that's basically ancient at this point. They are focusing on issues with modern browsers--if they have time they may work on larger issues with some older browsers.

..Al

Not sure if this is a bug or just a configuration option. It looks like all the topics I have posted in have been automatically made watched. Consequently, I get an email every time someone posts in one of those topics. Very annoying.

I think I have managed to turn them all off but it would probably be better to have them off by default.

Mitch

Well, yes and no. I don't think Invision is going to spend much time worrying about problems with old browsers. They've pretty much written off IE6 already, since that's basically ancient at this point. They are focusing on issues with modern browsers--if they have time they may work on larger issues with some older browsers.

..Al

Hah, lazy devs. :D

Mitch

Hah, lazy devs. :D

Not really lazy developers. This forum software is very complex and with the 3.0 version of the software they are taking advantage of features offered in modern browsers. Unfortunately this often comes at the expense of backwards compatibility with older browsers that don't support those features. Sure, you can put resources into trying to make problem areas degrade gracefully but it costs time and money to do so. Invision is one of the largest forum programs, along with vBulletin and phpBB3. It'll be interesting to see what happens if old browsers such as IE6 and Firefox 1.5 are simply not supported.

I personally would be terrified to run IE6 with all the security problems it's had over the years. The only reason I can imagine someone not upgrading to IE7 or IE8 would be that they are running an old version of Windows (such as 2000) that does not support those browsers. In which case there's no excuse not to run the latest version of Firefox, or Safari, or Opera. Those should all run fine on a 2000 box (I use Firefox all the time on one). Invision made a conscious decision not to be hampered by people running old browsers when plenty of modern alternatives are available.

..Al

Not sure if this is a bug or just a configuration option. It looks like all the topics I have posted in have been automatically made watched. Consequently, I get an email every time someone posts in one of those topics. Very annoying.

I think I have managed to turn them all off but it would probably be better to have them off by default.

Mitch

Well, there is a setting in My Controls->Forums that will automatically subscribe you to any topics you post in:

auto_subscribe.png

But it is not normally on by default (it certainly wasn't for me)...

..Al

I created a new account, but the forum won't allow me to reply in existing topics or create new ones.

*Edit: I can't view attachments either.

This is a known bug--for now I have to manually approve accounts. I was gone most of the day, but approved your account a few minutes ago. You should now be able to reply to and create new topics.

..Al

I created a new account, but the forum won't allow me to reply in existing topics or create new ones.

*Edit: I can't view attachments either.

This is a known bug--for now I have to manually approve accounts. I was gone most of the day, but approved your account a few minutes ago. You should now be able to reply to and create new topics.

..Al

I see that others were reporting this problem. I should have read this thread a little closer. Edited by Christophero Sly