IGNORED

Rom Hunter's V4 Old Era Collection Now Online

Rom Hunter

Do you include homebrew roms? It would be great to have a homebrew rom archive so they don't all have to be hunted down

I made a hacks and homebrew archive and asked Al if he would mind if i upload it on AA but i haven't got an answer yet (i guess he's busy with more important stuff at this time of the year :) ).

I have a question, and maybe it is a general ROM question and not about this collection in particular. Why are there duplicate titles like this:

Activision Decathalon, The(...).bin

Activision Decathalon, The(...)[fixed].bin

What is the difference between these two files? If I want to play this game, which of these should I load?

Thanks, and thanks for putting this collection together.

Chris

You're welcome.

Always play the fixed version.

In the Decathlon case it's the infamous 'pole vault bug' that was fixed in a later release.

8)

I have a question, and maybe it is a general ROM question and not about this collection in particular. Why are there duplicate titles like this:

What is the difference between these two files? If I want to play this game, which of these should I load?

Chris

You're welcome.

In the Decathlon case it's the infamous 'pole vault bug' that was fixed in a later release.

8)

Aww I loved using that bug...

Tempest

Chris

You're welcome.

8)

Thanks for your response. So is the original unfixed ROM included in the set for the sake of completeness?

When I get home this whole ROMset is going on my XBox!

Chris

Is there a detailed list (or even a summary) of what the changes are in each rom? I know most of that information is in the rom thread, but it's quite disjointed and spread out over 30+ pages.

Tempest

Yes, it is very disjointed, which is why I push a text file included with the rom set that has fairly detailed descriptions between the fixed roms and the alternate. IMHO it would have just been easier to name Decathalon something like:

Activision Decathalon, The(...)[Pole Vault Glitch fixed].bin

That is enough for most people to figure it out. They might wonder what the pole vault glitch is, but at least they sort of have an idea of what the fix was.

@Tempest I am planning a detailed summary in the future, and if Rom wants he can include it with his next rom set. If not, I will put it all in one thread anyway. It will be a new thread, because as you have noted the other is indeed quite long. This is a long ways off yet for me though due to time constraints.

Edited by Omegamatrix

Thanks for your response. So is the original unfixed ROM included in the set for the sake of completeness?

Yep.

For video game history sake it's important to include all different official releases of the same game.

Omega,

If you can come up with accurate fix descriptions that every VCS ROM collector can understand, be my guest (and while you're at it, try to make some accurate difference descriptions for the [a]'s as well).

For now, they'll have to be content with just [fixed]

8)

Edited by Rom Hunter

Is there a detailed list (or even a summary) of what the changes are in each rom? I know most of that information is in the rom thread, but it's quite disjointed and spread out over 30+ pages.

Tempest

Yes, it is very disjointed, which is why I push a text file included with the rom set that has fairly detailed descriptions between the fixed roms and the alternate. IMHO it would have just been easier to name Decathalon something like:

Activision Decathalon, The(...)[Pole Vault Glitch fixed].bin

That is enough for most people to figure it out. They might wonder what the pole vault glitch is, but at least they sort of have an idea of what the fix was.

@Tempest I am planning a detailed summary in the future, and if Rom wants he can include it with his next rom set. If not, I will put it all in one thread anyway. It will be a new thread, because as you have noted the other is indeed quite long. This is a long ways off yet for me though due to time constraints.

+1 to you good sir....

I look forward to the detailed summary. :D

• 2 weeks later...

I'd go for that too. Although my perfect ROM compilation would be every UNIQUE game ever made. Including NTSC and PAL as some were made for one and not the other. I don't need multiple versions of the same game or pirate hacks with only a different logo.

It would include:

- One instance of all original releases (NTSC & PAL)

- Latest build (most complete/playable) of all prototypes/unreleased games

- All homebrews

- Hacks if it is a gameplay change, addition, or bugfix. Not to include hacks that are only a grahics change

Tempest,

For my V5 collection, I'm going to add a symbol to the original ROM filenames.

That way you can sort out the originals in a second.

Toytailman,

I'm not doing hacks & homebrews anymore.

Old Era (1977 - 1992) only.

Ask impaler about hacks & homebrews.

He took over the job of updating my H&H Collection last year.

8)

Edited by Rom Hunter

I'd been sorting out originals by hand - for the most part it is pretty straightforward, but I can see a couple of areas that are going to lead to head-scratching:

* What about PAL games released by one company (e.g. BitCorp) that make it to NTSC in the form of several pirate variations - which one is the "original" NTSC?

* What about different versions from the original company which are not technically a "bugfix", just different revisions (e.g. Missile Command / Missile Command [No Initials], Space Shuttle / Space Shuttle [F8 Bankswitching], etc)?

* Games where it is hard to determine PAL / NTSC region (scanline counts way off)

* Prototypes which are completely unplayable even in the most finished form

I can't think of others right now, but I am sure they will come up when it comes time to sort out the originals.

Not saying I am opposed to doing it - just that I think it will be more work than some imagine. ( Then again so is putting together a 1784-ROM set so I guess you're probably up for it :D )

I guess the rom collection I'm looking for would have:

- All known games that are playable on an NTSC television (no PAL games, but would include games with odd scanlines as long as they display without rolling on an NTSC television and PAL only games that have been converted to NTSC).

- All known NTSC prototypes (playable or not)

- No clones unless significantly different (by this I mean I don't want 5 different versions of the same game just with different pirate logos, but clones that have different graphics or gameplay are ok)

- All known versions of a game (such as Decathlon and Superman with and without the bug, all those versions of Space Invaders and Super Breakout, Missile Command with and without the initials, etc.).

The last one would be optional, but nice.

Tempest

Well, I have a set I have been working on (filtered from Rom's latest set). I have put together an Atari 2600 Gamebase that contains all the "original" games + protos + US released pirate/hacks...with a few exceptions. The exceptions are.

Sears Telegames - I simply marked the coresponding Atari game with "Also released by Sears" and put the Sears box shot after the Atari one. Of course the 3 Sears exclusives are present.

Atari reissues - Atari re-released a few games that were owned by others (BMX Airmaster, Q*bert, ect..) and for these games I also just marked the original and added the reissue box shot.

Telegames USA reissues - Telegames USA got the rights to the M-Network games (and a few others) and re-released them. I did the same for these reissues as the Atari ones.

If you don't know, Gamebase is an emulator frontend (originaly created for the C64) http://www.gb64.com/

My 2600 GB is almost done. Almost all the games have box, cart, and manuals scans + many other extras. I will be releasing it soon. :cool:

Anyways if you want just the roms I can up them for you. :D

Well, I have a set I have been working on (filtered from Rom's latest set). I have put together an Atari 2600 Gamebase that contains all the "original" games + protos + US released pirate/hacks...with a few exceptions. The exceptions are.

Sears Telegames - I simply marked the coresponding Atari game with "Also released by Sears" and put the Sears box shot after the Atari one. Of course the 3 Sears exclusives are present.

Atari reissues - Atari re-released a few games that were owned by others (BMX Airmaster, Q*bert, ect..) and for these games I also just marked the original and added the reissue box shot.

Telegames USA reissues - Telegames USA got the rights to the M-Network games (and a few others) and re-released them. I did the same for these reissues as the Atari ones.

If you don't know, Gamebase is an emulator frontend (originaly created for the C64) http://www.gb64.com/

My 2600 GB is almost done. Almost all the games have box, cart, and manuals scans + many other extras. I will be releasing it soon. :cool:

Anyways if you want just the roms I can up them for you. :D

That sounds like what I'm looking for. Can you post it?

Tempest

Here are the roms. I should be done with the complete Gamebase in a week or two. I'll post about it when it is released.

You may notice a few anomolies, like, "Why is 'Motocross (Suntek) (SS-022) (PAL).bin' in the A folder"...Well, for game that are believed to be the original but have not been dumped, I used the next best rom. In this case 'Motocross' is filling in for Home Vision's 'Around the World' . ;)

roms.zip

Here are the roms. I should be done with the complete Gamebase in a week or two. I'll post about it when it is released.

You may notice a few anomolies, like, "Why is 'Motocross (Suntek) (SS-022) (PAL).bin' in the A folder"...Well, for game that are believed to be the original but have not been dumped, I used the next best rom. In this case 'Motocross' is filling in for Home Vision's 'Around the World' . ;)

Rom you believe that Motocross is 'Around the World' by Homevision? Was this adverised like GoGo? ;)

Edited by Foxsolo2000

Rom you believe that Motocross is 'Around the World' by Homevision?
Yep.

Was this adverised like GoGo? ;)
Nope.

8)

So in other words the game was vapourware like Zimags Pizza Chef that was somehow snapped up by other pirate companies. There is definbetly more to this Home Vision limk than meets the eye for how did so many pirates manage to get so many Home Vision titles that were never officially released? ;)

• 2 months later...
Rom, these 43 new roms were all added from the 208 in 1 multicart.

Atlantis (Hack) (Unknown) (PAL) [a].bin

Bank Heist (Unknown) (PAL).bin

Basic Math (Unknown) (PAL).bin

Basketball (Hack) (Unknown) (PAL).bin

Basketball (Unknown) (PAL).bin

Bowling (Unknown) (PAL).bin

Bridge (Unknown) (PAL).bin

Canyon Bomber (Unknown) (PAL).bin

Carnival (Hack) (Unknown) (PAL).bin

Challenge (Unknown) (PAL).bin

Checkers (Unknown) (PAL).bin

Chopper Command (Hack) (Unknown) (PAL).bin

Commando Raid (Unknown) (PAL) [a].bin

Donkey Kong (Unknown) (PAL).bin

Fantastic Voyage (Unknown) (PAL).bin

Flag Capture (Unknown) (PAL).bin

Football (Unknown) (PAL).bin

Galatic (AKA Challenge of.... Nexar, The) (Unknown) (PAL).bin

Game Select (Unknown) (PAL).bin

Golf (Unknown) (PAL).bin

Gopher (Unknown) (PAL) [a].bin

M.A.S.H (Unknown) (PAL).bin

Math Gran Prix (Unknown) (PAL).bin

MegaMania (Unknown) (PAL) [a].bin

Missile Command (Hack) (Unknown) (PAL).bin

Mission 3,000 A.D. (Unknown) (PAL).bin

Name This Game (Hack) (Unknown) (PAL).bin

Q-bert (Unknown) (PAL).bin

Raft Rider (Unknown) (PAL).bin

River Raid (1984) (Galaga Games) (PAL).bin

River Raid (Hack) (Unknown) (PAL).bin

Room of Doom (Unknown) (PAL).bin

Skiing (Unknown) (PAL).bin

Space Jockey (Unknown) (PAL) [a].bin

Space War (Unknown) (PAL).bin

SpaceMaster X-7 (Unknown) (PAL).bin

Spider Kong (Unknown) (PAL) [a].bin

Super Challenge Baseball (Unknown) (PAL).bin

Tennis (Hack) (Unknown) (PAL).bin

Towering Inferno (Unknown) (PAL).bin

Tuby Bird (AKA Dolphin) (Unknown) (PAL).bin

Word Zapper (Unknown) (PAL) [a].bin

Worm War I (Unknown) (PAL) [a].bin

However they are listed as "unknown" while very similiar roms have sourcing like "2600 Screen Search Console", I can tell you the 208 in 1 multicart and the Screen Search Console are very closely related; however if a person came along later they would never be able to make that connection had the 2600 Screen Search Console roms all been labeled (Unknown). Sourcing is very important in multicart / muticart consoles. The 208 in 1 cart is unique as it is the largest old era 2600 multicart, and it was completely dumped. Since none of those above roms have ever been dumped before, I would suggest keeping them sourced, and then reverting back to unknown (individually) if they are found on another cart. It also really helps to identify an original company if the pirate source is intact. I might be able to tell you what rom came before what rom through disassembly and analysis, but if we don't know where the pirates come from then we can't build off the data. I'm not saying we should do this for every pirate cart, but when it is a huge multicart, yes. How about something like this:

Atlantis (Hack) (208 in 1 cart) (PAL) [a].bin

Bank Heist (208 in 1 cart) (PAL).bin

Basic Math (208 in 1 cart) (PAL).bin

Basketball (Hack) (208 in 1 cart) (PAL).bin

Basketball (208 in 1 cart) (PAL).bin

Bowling (208 in 1 cart) (PAL).bin

Bridge (208 in 1 cart) (PAL).bin

Canyon Bomber (208 in 1 cart) (PAL).bin

Carnival (Hack) (208 in 1 cart) (PAL).bin

Challenge (208 in 1 cart) (PAL).bin

Checkers (208 in 1 cart) (PAL).bin

Chopper Command (Hack) (208 in 1 cart) (PAL).bin