IGNORED

HSC Season 6 Week 18: Reindeer Rescue

Ze_ro

It's Christmas Eve and Santa can't find the reindeer! Oh no! How will he deliver the toys to all the boys and girls? Where, oh where, could they be? He'll have to go find them!

s_ReindeerRescue_SP_3.png

Game Information
  • Game Name: Reindeer Rescue
  • Released By: AtariAge, 2006
  • Left Difficulty: N/A
  • Right Difficulty: N/A (Toggles music on/off)
  • Game Mode: Game 1
  • Chosen By: Nathan Strum

Post your scores right here in this thread, and I will add them to the list. Remember to play the game with the recommended game mode and difficulty settings as shown above so that your scores will be consistent with everyone elses. The deadline for posting scores is Wednesday January 7th at 1:00 AM (CST).

Current High Scores
  1. 86,575 (aftermac) [+11][+2]
  2. 58,500 (Deteacher) [+10]
  3. 52,725 (vdub_bobby) [+9]
  4. 41,825 (darthkur) [+8]
  5. 41,550 (toymailman) [+7]
  6. 40,150 (Impaler_26) [+6]
  7. 26,875 (Kurt_Woloch) [+5]
  8. 25,300 (Shannon) [+4]
  9. 22,675 (DtY) [+3]
  10. 18,725 (Hornpipe2) [+2]

Best Tips
  • afterac [+2]

Challenges
  • Complete the Game - Finish the game and get 2 bonus points!

TwinGalaxies Top 3
  1. No scores for this game
(Game 1, Difficulty B)
Current Standings

1. toymailman [174]
  2. Deteacher [169]
  3. DarthCalvin [117]
  4. aftermac [115]
  5. darthkur [100]
  6. jjd [82]
  7. Impaler_26 [68]
  8. Kurt_Woloch [66]
  9. SpiceWare [52]
  10. the 5th ghost [47]
  11. Hornpipe2 [47]
  12. Mister VCS [44]
  13. Nathan Strum [30]
  14. LarcenTyler [30]
  15. Jess Ragan [23]
  16. shadow460 [22]
  17. Zoyx [22]
  18. Spector [20]
  19. Omegamatrix [19]
  20. ClassicGMR [18]
  21. iangamer [14]
  22. LoneWolfSeth [12]
  23. homerwannabee [11]
  24. midnight magicman [11]
  25. Random Terrain [10]
  26. maf [9]
  27. missioncontrol [8]
  28. SeaGtGruff [8]
  29. chuckwalla [7]
  30. LS_Dracon [7]
  31. LaserHawk3000 [7]
  32. phaxda [5]
  33. vintagegamecrazy [4]
  34. rheffera [2]
  35. ratfink [2]
  36. Yar76 [1]
  37. Artlover [1]

Scoring Points in Reindeer Rescue
  • Collect Milk, and Cookies for bonus points and health
  • Collect Reindeer, the broken Sleigh pieces, and lost Gifts for bonus points
  • Collecting a Lump of Coal will give you bonus points, but will cost you some health
  • Get both Sleigh pieces for a bonus

Hints and Tips
The Manual
As always, you really should read the manual. In case you don't have the manual, check this post, where SpiceWare has provided a scanned copy. It doesn't really have any hints in it anyways.
Impaler_26
Be sure to read the Reindeer Rescue thread from HSC Season 4, you'll find a lot of useful tips and a manual scan there. ;)

Here's a tip how to get the extra life in level 2: When the second reindeer in level 2 appears don't catch it, try to jump over it or below it and make sure you land on the "box". Grab Santa's Hat that comes shortly after and the extra life is yours. :)
aftermac
Good tip Impaler! I have found that it's easier to miss the first reindeer [on level 2] and catch it when the level wraps around, than it is to miss the second reindeer and jump on top of the boxes. Just be sure to catch the candy cane, or you won't have enough energy to make it to the coffee just before the "1st" reindeer.

Unless you just miss a reindeer on level 3, I don't think the extra life is worth getting intentionally.
vdub_bobby
IIRC, there is an extra man (hat) on every level except the first level.
Deteacher
A little tip for the 3rd level: Make sure you grab the slow-down bonus that comes out about halfway through the level. That comes in very handy for dealing with the rest of the level. To catch the 2nd reindeer, you have to time that last jump perfectly.

--Zero

My best so far is...

post-10944-1230784021_thumb.jpg

Level 2 gets really tough, at least for me. It moves a bit faster and you have to precisely jump on several narrow objects. Haven't got very far into it yet. Can't imagine what levels 3 and 4 are like.

Also, is there an Easter Egg game for this holiday cart too? I finally gave the Toyshop Trouble EE game a whirl and had fun with it. Feels like a combo of Circus Atari and Kaboom. My best on that one is...

post-10944-1230784216_thumb.jpg

I also want to mention that i could have done better but i had to sacrifice one live due to a bug in the game:

As you can see in the screenshot below while jumping in the lower section on level 2 my head suddenly got stuck in the wall and i couldn't move anymore... had to wait until time ran out. :x

So i think we should play the fixed version from Bob Montgomery's Blog...

EDIT: Despite that little bug i really love this game! It's Challenging and a blast to play! And from all the holiday carts released so far this is the one filled with the most "christmas cheer".

Be sure to read the Reindeer Rescue thread from HSC Season 4, you'll find a lot of useful tips and a manual scan there. ;)

post-12950-1230808824_thumb.png

Edited by Impaler_26

I can get through levels 1 & 2 with ease, but level 3 is extremely difficult! I actually made it to the second reindeer on level 3, but missed it and lost my last life shortly thereafter.

After playing this for several hours now, I definitely feel that the 2600 needs more side-scrolling games! :D

post-17553-1230839962_thumb.png

I played a few more rounds, the extra life actually is in level 2...

Here's a tip how to get the extra life in level 2:

When the second reindeer in level 2 appears don't catch it, try to jump over it or below it and make sure you land on the "box". Grab Santa's Hat that comes shortly after and the extra life is yours. :)

post-12950-1230938267_thumb.png

86,575 - Complete game!

I played a few more rounds, the extra life actually is in level 2...

Here's a tip how to get the extra life in level 2:

When the second reindeer in level 2 appears don't catch it, try to jump over it or below it and make sure you land on the "box". Grab Santa's Hat that comes shortly after and the extra life is yours. :)

Good tip Impaler! I have found that it's easier to miss the first reindeer and catch it when the level wraps around, than it is to miss the second reindeer and jump on top of the boxes. Just be sure to catch the candy cane at the bottom of your screenshot, or you won't have enough energy to make it to the coffee just before the "1st" reindeer.

post-17553-1230946343_thumb.png

Edited by aftermac

Didn't realize you guys were playing this! :)

IIRC, there is an extra man (hat) on every level except the first level.

Fun game Bobby!

Unless you just miss a reindeer on level 3, I don't think the extra life is worth getting intentionally.

86,575 - Complete game!

Awesome! :thumbsup:

I still totally suck at level 3, i doubt that i will ever see level 4! :lol:

But there are a few more days left so maybe...

Thanks! I was pretty surprised when I actually saw the last reindeer! :)

You can do it! It's all timing and patience. You definitely have to know the level, so you can anticipate when to jump and where to land. Just be prepared... level 4 is a LOT faster than level 3. :)

A little tip for the 3rd level: Make sure you grab the slow-down bonus that comes out about halfway through the level. That comes in very handy for dealing with the rest of the level. To catch the 2nd reindeer, you have to time that last jump perfectly.

I can make it to the 4th scene now with not too much trouble. You think the 3rd scene is fast...Wait until the 4th! :( I have a score to post, but I'll have to wait until I get home now.

EDIT: 58,500.

post-9712-1231294424_thumb.jpg

Edited by Deteacher