IGNORED

Tempest Xtreem Now Order Page from Video 61

Kjmann

The Page to order Tempest Xtreem is now up on the atarisales.com (Video 61) website.

You can goto www.atarisales.com and click on the Tempest Extreme Link or you can go here:

http://members.tcq.net/video61/tempest1.html

(You might have to Refresh the main page to see the link)

The Playable Demo is still available here.

http://www.freewebs.com/kjmannmusic/tempest/tempdemo.zip

Have fun. =)

Edited by kjmann

Will it be available freeware version for non cart collectors? As Hobgoblin?

No. This game is cart only. Not Freeware.

looks like I still have to call somebody.

and is there a price yet?

You can call or email. if you read the page you will see the ordering instructions with an email address. The Price is set at $49.99 USD.

Interestingly I sent Lance Ringquist of Video 61 an e-mail this evening to place a pre-order. He replied just minutes ago saying that he had not been told the price so you can't actually pay at the moment. He will add you to the list however. Just passing info along...

tjb

Interestingly I sent Lance Ringquist of Video 61 an e-mail this evening to place a pre-order. He replied just minutes ago saying that he had not been told the price so you can't actually pay at the moment. He will add you to the list however. Just passing info along...

tjb

I talked to lance also and The price of $49.99 is the maximum Price. It could be slightly less.

Wonder how long it will be before it gets ported to the 5200?

We won't be porting this game to the 5200. It uses a 128k Cart and requires 64k of ram and the XL/XE OS.

Is this a limited release, or will I still be able to pick one up in a week or two when funds are (hopefully) more available? Thanks!

No, This is NOT a limited release. we will continue to make carts as long as people want to buy them. =)

Edited by kjmann

I have been asked by several people about getting the game for free and emails getting through to video 61. so I will address those issues here.

1. If you want an email to get through to video 61 (lance) you have to make sure the word "Atari" is in the subject line.

2. Free copies of the game. This is NOT going to happen. if you want to play this game then you will have to buy it. we will NOT give out copies of the BIN file for you to play nor will we send you a cart for free. if you want to try the game there is a demo of it with 4 levels to try here:

if you are a person wanting to write a review of the game then you will also have to purchase the game. we can not afford to give you a copy of the game for free. I'm sorry but making these carts is an expensive process. even the play testers did not get final versions of the game in BIN format to try. this is nothing personal it just wasn't necessary.

Hope this clears some things up folks and we hope you like the game. =)

I have been asked by several people about getting the game for free and emails getting through to video 61. so I will address those issues here.

1. If you want an email to get through to video 61 (lance) you have to make sure the word "Atari" is in the subject line.

2. Free copies of the game. This is NOT going to happen. if you want to play this game then you will have to buy it. we will NOT give out copies of the BIN file for you to play nor will we send you a cart for free. if you want to try the game there is a demo of it with 4 levels to try here:

Does it come with a box and/or instruction booklet and who will produce these? I am asking this because in the thread "Xenophobe XE now for sale?", tjlazer pointed out that the Xenophobe box, booklet and label were "not even homebrew quality" and provided some photos to prove it.

Other than that: I guess I would be rude on those who want everything for free. Although the Yoomp! and Hobgoblin carts quickly sold out due to their all too limited release, it is in no way your duty as programmers to give the result of your efforts away for free, and I seriously doubt anyone into retro computing lacks the money to afford the purchase. I would prefer a retailer in the Eurozone or at least the EU though, of course, for shipping costs and tax reasons :-).

Thorsten

Thorsten,

I bought Xenophobe and its a great game. The box/label dont impact the quality of the play. If you want a shiny box/label Im sure someone outside of Video 61 could produce such a thing, but I am happy that an awesome title has been released for the XE/XL and look forward to more new releases!

LOL

I cannot believe this.

Well, looking at TMR, selling his own games , I see no probems there.

But seeing this copyrighted Name "Tempest" selling for you full prized, I really hope the copyright owner "knallt dir eine vor den Latz, dass du nicht mehr weißt ob du Männlein oder Weiblein bist" , as we say in german.´

Thorsten,

I bought Xenophobe and its a great game. The box/label dont impact the quality of the play. If you want a shiny box/label Im sure someone outside of Video 61 could produce such a thing, but I am happy that an awesome title has been released for the XE/XL and look forward to more new releases!

I truly believe that, as I have already read some rave reviews of that title. I will purchase both Tempest Xtreem and Xenophobe from Video61 no matter what they look like, but I'd be much happier with either if they looked as good as the homebrews I purchased from the AtariAge store (e.g. Thrust+ Platinum Edition looks like a professional product).

Thorsten

I appreciate all the programmers making stuff for our old machines, and however they want to release them is fine with me. I'll either buy them or not, depending on my cash flow and interest in the product.

It would be interesting to see some sales numbers from the last couple of homebrews released, and the different formats they were released in. I guess with some of the "limited" releases, ALL the copies were sold, so I don't know that this would tell us much. I guess adding up all sales revenue from limited releases, special Editions sold on eBay, etc, would give us some comparisons of the different methods of release and their "success" rates. What's the maximum expected sales of a game, 100-150 copies?

Edited by Shawn Jefferson

@ sal

re: eurozone distri. As on the boards are a lot of ABBUC members why not simply use ABBUC as largest Atari community as distributor???

just an idea.

That is an excellent suggestion. the reason we went with lance is that the cost of making the carts (eproms, cart shells, etc.) is being covered by lance out of his pocket. so with this we are able to keep up with demand a bit better since we don't have any budget. =)

Maybe I can have lance make a deal with the "eurozone distri" to sell them carts at a small Discount. (kind of like a Dealer cost thing.)

I will ask him about it. =)

Does it come with a box and/or instruction booklet and who will produce these? I am asking this because in the thread "Xenophobe XE now for sale?", tjlazer pointed out that the Xenophobe box, booklet and label were "not even homebrew quality" and provided some photos to prove it.

Other than that: I guess I would be rude on those who want everything for free. Although the Yoomp! and Hobgoblin carts quickly sold out due to their all too limited release, it is in no way your duty as programmers to give the result of your efforts away for free, and I seriously doubt anyone into retro computing lacks the money to afford the purchase. I would prefer a retailer in the Eurozone or at least the EU though, of course, for shipping costs and tax reasons :-).

Thorsten

Game features include:

1: Stereo Pokey Support. (4 channel music will play 2 voices in each speaker when Dual Pokey is Available )

2: 64K System or better required standard XL OS Supported (should work on most XL/XE Compatable OS's).

3: Game Comes as a 128K Atari SuperCart in a Plastic Clam Shell Case (Sega Genesis Style) with Full Color box Art and Full Color Cartridge Label. 4 Page instruction manual also included.

Remember: The Plastic SEGA Clam shell Cases are Used. we were not able to find any NEW ones. They are, however, in good condition and look nice. =)

Edited by kjmann

Hmmm is this my problem here, or is there something else going on...

The links to the demo do not work. the demo link in the first post, goes back to this thread.

And the other link, gives an error.

I would like to play the demo.

And I think the people are right they want to get paid for good software. In fact I love the idea that I have to buy a game again to have fun with it. My idea is: what you did pay for, gives you much more fun.

So when I played the demo, and I like it... I certainly would buy an original cart. I'm looking forward to it!

I did not know Lance was still in the scene. I remember there were some issues around BBS Express professional and his name. Does anybody know if this 'issue' is finally solved?

Thanks

M.

@ emkay

I guess they have permission... ;)

@ sal

re: eurozone distri. As on the boards are a lot of ABBUC members why not simply use ABBUC as largest Atari community as distributor???

just an idea.

Good idea heaven but, abbucc is mainly and only known in mainland europe (i.e not UK) so unless abbucc had some contacts in UK.....

Hmmm is this my problem here, or is there something else going on...

The links to the demo do not work. the demo link in the first post, goes back to this thread.

And the other link, gives an error.

I had the same problem at first. What you have to do is copy and paste the link to the game demo and paste it into a new browser window. That should work for you.

Yeah. I have it now. It is a nice game. The graphics look really 'vintage' ... but gameplay is perfect.

I mailed Video61 to 'count me in' for a delivery. But I saw other nice games on Video61 site too. So I might purchase other games too. And man... I hate cart games, so that describes how happy I am with these new releases.

Well, looking at TMR, selling his own games , I see no probems there.

Actually, i got a cease and desist email over the name Reaxion when i released the Atari 8-bit and Commodore Plus/4 versions from someone at Reaxion.com - it seems they weren't aware that the C64 version, originally released in 1994, was six years prior to their trademark registration and could potentially invalidate it. i also explained (rather politely i thought) that their American-registered trademark wasn't actually worth anything where i and the web server hosting the files was... =-)

Just for the record, one of the people trying to get an image of Tempest Extreem was me because i wanted to give it some publicity with reviews on Oldschool Gaming and in Retro Gamer...