IGNORED

Atari ST Web Browser

You feel the need to browse the web in a ridiculously incapable manner, and at an insanely slow speed? :ponder:

:P

Highwire (free)

CAB (commercial, not supported)

elinks port

But to run them comfortably you need a fast machine (read: 040+) and a hard drive.

Alternatively, you can kill images, colours etc so that they go in the closest thing to text only. But still your atari will download pages much faster than it will be able to render them. And that's with a serial link. Highwire has the fastest rendering engine.

With a plain Falcon and no multitasking environment Highwire is not that slow, but some speed-up is quite nice (well, sort of nearly necessary ;-) ) for it.

A TT will run fine on the net though.

Highwire is faster under multitasking. It's coded like that. Also very unstable on single TOS.

I can't say so, as I tried it.

I'm uses to a relatively complex MagiC/ Jinnee environment with tons of add-ons, and as soon as I switch back to TOS Highwire gets really fast.

Maybe a plain MagiC install or some small MiNT/ XaAES would be as fast as well, but if I must not use any other programs while being under multitasking I can just stay with TOS for surfing.

I also don't have any problems about Highwire being unstable under TOS.

Although saying that I stick to my MagiC setup as it's just nice all over. *g*

Well, yes I do: Jinnee with background image, higher resolution, gload, spica (tools to show cpu performance and drive accesses), ftp-server, deskdrop (won't run under MiNT unfortunately).

Too many stuff performance-wise, but it makes life nicer.

You might also make profits from using MiNTnet which is much faster than STinG that I use with MagiC.