IGNORED

Atari 800 Boulderdash, help me please

MONK MONKEY

I have been looking forever for an Atari 800 boulder dash cart. Where can I get one or does anyone have a copy of it to sell? I have looked on eBay. Hopefully someone here can help a long life Atari player.

I have an Atari 8-bit Boulder Dash cartridge. Unfortunately, the circuit board is loose, it wiggles freely and therefore cannot be properly inserted into the cartridge slot. It's too bad because the cartridge is in good condition otherwise with a nice label.

Is it possible for my Boulder Dash cartridge to be fixed? I know nothing of these sorts of things, but I was wondering if the cartridge could be opened without damaging the label and the PCB reseated? Or in the event that there is something broken on the inside of the cartridge shell could the PCB be placed into a donor cartridge shell? Of course, at this point there is no guarantee that this is a working cartridge. I have attached a photo of my Boulder Dash cartridge. I would love to get this repaired in some way if possible. Anybody have any helpful suggestions?

Matt A.

post-3850-1231750614_thumb.jpg

I have been looking forever for an Atari 800 boulder dash cart. Where can I get one or does anyone have a copy of it to sell? I have looked on eBay. Hopefully someone here can help a long life Atari player.

I have an Atari 8-bit Boulder Dash cartridge. Unfortunately, the circuit board is loose, it wiggles freely and therefore cannot be properly inserted into the cartridge slot. It's too bad because the cartridge is in good condition otherwise with a nice label.

Is it possible for my Boulder Dash cartridge to be fixed? I know nothing of these sorts of things, but I was wondering if the cartridge could be opened without damaging the label and the PCB reseated? Or in the event that there is something broken on the inside of the cartridge shell could the PCB be placed into a donor cartridge shell? Of course, at this point there is no guarantee that this is a working cartridge. I have attached a photo of my Boulder Dash cartridge. I would love to get this repaired in some way if possible. Anybody have any helpful suggestions?

Matt A.

You can't get it to seat once even to try it? PM if you want to sell it.

I had to open mine because one of the two ROMs inside was bad (blank). The carts are glued shut. I had to crack it to get inside. I glued it back shut after modding the PCB to take EPROMs.

modcart.jpg

At the time I did this, this game was undumped. I had to borrow one from a friend and dump it without opening the cart because I didn't want to ruin his cart. I made an adapter to read it as an EPROM.

adapter.jpg

You can kind of see the switch I used to toggle the CS line to dump each ROM at a time.

Edited by djpubba

I had to open mine because one of the two ROMs inside was bad (blank). The carts are glued shut. I had to crack it to get inside. I glued it back shut after modding the PCB to take EPROMs.

modcart.jpg

At the time I did this, this game was undumped. I had to borrow one from a friend and dump it without opening the cart because I didn't want to ruin his cart. I made an adapter to read it as an EPROM.

adapter.jpg

You can kind of see the switch I used to toggle the CS line to dump each ROM at a time.

Wow that is some impressive spaghetti

There is a boxed Boulder Dash at the local flea market, but I thought it said for the Atari 1200. The top of the silver box is slanted down by design so it is pretty unique. I checked on Digital Press and don't see Boulder Dash as a release for the 1200. I'm confused, though someone might be able to enlighten me.

Edited by navy09

There is a boxed Boulder Dash at the local flea market, but I thought it said for the Atari 1200. The top of the silver box is slanted down by design so it is pretty unique. I checked on Digital Press and don't see Boulder Dash as a release for the 1200. I'm confused, though someone might be able to enlighten me. If it is something you can use I'll only charge what I pay, plus shipping.

The box doesn't say which machine it's for, or whether it's a cart, tape or disk.

That information is on a red circular sticker attached to the "slanted" top part of the box - it should say ""Atari home computer", and have a large letter in the centre - "C" for cart, "D" for disk and "T" for tape. It's quite common for the sticker to be missing, though.

If it's a cartridge, it's a very nice find.

There is a boxed Boulder Dash at the local flea market, but I thought it said for the Atari 1200. The top of the silver box is slanted down by design so it is pretty unique. I checked on Digital Press and don't see Boulder Dash as a release for the 1200. I'm confused, though someone might be able to enlighten me. If it is something you can use I'll only charge what I pay, plus shipping.

The box doesn't say which machine it's for, or whether it's a cart, tape or disk.

That information is on a red circular sticker attached to the "slanted" top part of the box - it should say ""Atari home computer", and have a large letter in the centre - "C" for cart, "D" for disk and "T" for tape. It's quite common for the sticker to be missing, though.

If it's a cartridge, it's a very nice find.

I'll be checking on that soon, thanks for the clarification. They also have/had a Spy Hunter and UpnDown for Atari, but again it is for the Atari computer and not the 2600 or otherwise.

Those are both rare-ish for the Atari computers - both are very tough to find boxed.

Thanks for the help. I did notice that Boulderdash is a rarity 7 on Digital Press, Upndown a 6, and Spy Hunter a 5. I checked once more and the Boulderdash does indeed have a sticker stating it is a cartridge. It is in great shape and still has cellophane on it, with the exception of the top where it was opened. Spy Hunter and Upndown are also carts for the Atari computer. I picked up the three boxed games needless to say. I hate to go back on my word, but I am tight monetarily at the moment with the exception of the carts I've found as of late. Not sure what to do as of yet....

Congratulations on a very nice find!

All three carts, and all three boxed, and in the same place at the same time - that's great!

Certainly Boulder Dash is the most valuable of the three. I wouldn't place much faith in the DP rarities for Atari 8-bit stuff, because there are so many glaring errors. I would say that Boulder Dash is an 8 CIB, and the other two are 7, also CIB. These also happen to be the same as the rarity values we have for them at Atarimania.