IGNORED

VIC 20 Mega-Cart

SpiceWare

This looks pretty cool - single plug-in-and-forgot cartrdige that has all known cartridge games, built in RAM expansion (selectable 0K, 3K, 32K or 3K+32K), various utilities/upgrades(Super Expander, VicMon, Cassette Turbo, etc) and a lot of other features. Starts up with a nice interactive menu and has a built in reset switch so you don't have to power cycle your VIC.

http://mega-cart.com/

They did a really great job, very professional. Love the box and label. I may have to pick one of these up, along with the 1541 Ultimate. It's a lot of $ to spend for these old retro things, but should be well worth it!

That 1541 Ultimate is sweet! Can anybody answer me if the games load faster or original speed?

1541U (since it emulates the entire drive, and not just the serial communication protocol) can utilize fast loaders, just like the real drives can - meaning that many things can be loaded much faster. It can also use replacement drive ROM OS binaries including things like JiffyDos for humongous acceleration. It's an absolutely stunning piece of hardware for the Commodore computers.

Wow! I want one also! I miss Radar Rat Race and those text adventures from Scott Adams. I don't want to play them online.

That 1541 Ultimate is sweet! Can anybody answer me if the games load faster or original speed?

It includes both Radar Rat Race and the original Rally X. I think Commodore had to change the graphics and such for legal reasons.

The 1541U does sound slick. I have an MMC64 w/ethernet. While it is nice, I wish I could use it in 128 mode.

So I'd need to find a JiffyDOS for sale to stick in the 1541U?

No, you just need the ROM binary file on your 1541U SD card. Drive OS ROMs can be selected and changed in the 1541U's menu system. Just have JiffyDOS in your C64 and you're ready to go.

The 1541U does sound slick. I have an MMC64 w/ethernet. While it is nice, I wish I could use it in 128 mode.

The MMC64 is neat (and I have one), but it's not even in the same league as the 1541U. ;)

• 2 months later...

Note: This is not an April's Fools joke.

I got my VIC-20 Mega-Cart today and it's awesome! Here are some very poor (sorry) photos:

PqOHy7r.jpg gxrA370.jpg PqOHFBS.jpg

They're going to be shipped out as they're made in the order that the pre-orders were received so if you're interested in getting one I would encourage you to place an order as soon as possible. You won't be asked to make payment until your Mega-Cart is ready to ship so there won't be any complications. You can find out more at the Mega-Cart website.

Edited by gklinger

I pre-ordered one back in Jan-Feb, and was told that I would be sent payment information, but I never got a reply after that. I should check up on this.

You'll get payment notification when your unit is ready. That's the way they're handling things. I understand that all preorders will be filled over the next 2-3 months as it takes a great deal of time to make each one and the guy behind the project only has so much spare time (basically evenings and weekends).

After playing with the Mega-Cart for the last few hours I can say that it was worth every penny (and then some).

• 2 weeks later...
Note: This is not an April's Fools joke.

I got my VIC-20 Mega-Cart today and it's awesome! Here are some very poor (sorry) photos:

PqOHy7r.jpg gxrA370.jpg PqOHFBS.jpg

They're going to be shipped out as they're made in the order that the pre-orders were received so if you're interested in getting one I would encourage you to place an order as soon as possible. You won't be asked to make payment until your Mega-Cart is ready to ship so there won't be any complications. You can find out more at the Mega-Cart website.

Wow. I guess I need to get a Vic-20 now. Is the www site still up? It currently is not working.

I found this great link for an "Atari 2600 to Vic-20" convertor on the Vic-20 Denial forum:

http://www.tomheroes.com/Video%20Games%20F...s/cardapter.htm

Yeah I've heard of that before (or something just like it). More than likely it would have been just a 2600 in a shell that used the Vic-20 for power and display purposes like the 2600 adapter for the 5200 did. Unless the systems used the same chips making such an adapter would have been near impossible.

Tempest

• 2 months later...

I got my e-mail as well (I ordered mine on Jan. 29th!). Serial #0088!

The funny thing is that onyl just yesterday I finally deleted the order e-mail from my mail box because I thought that they'd never get back to me. Hows that for irony.

Tempest