IGNORED

N64 Homebrew

Bowser N64

Hi, I am looking to run N64 homebrew on my N64. I'd like to know what I need to do that, all components. Preferably I hope there is a cartridge like device that accepts memory cards, and also that will not cover any ventilation vents, and possibly will plugin in to N64 as a game cartridge, similar to the gameshark? Any help would be appreciated.

Edited by Bowser N64

Hi Bowser,

Unfortunately, I don't think there are any available. However, if they're out there, it would be a very selective amount in homebrew form. Probably there some hacks available and some tamper cartridges that were just of fun.

To be honest, that's a good idea having N64 homebrew games. But it probably would be very difficult to do. But then again, nothings impossible to "Anthony The Super Italian" (^_^).

Anthony....

I wouldn't bet on that. The Nintendo 64 was released when the mainstream internet was still in its infancy, and homebrew game design was mostly limited to the 2600 and ColecoVision. By the time homebrew had spread to other systems, the Nintendo 64 was already on its way out. Besides, the Dreamcast was more inviting to the community, since it was faster and a great deal more hackable.

Anyway, here's what exists for the Nintendo 64. As you can see, it's pretty slim pickins... you've got a few emulators, some level designers for official games, and a couple of games designed from scratch.

http://nintendo64.dcemu.co.uk/

I dunno about games but there are apps. And that is what I am interested in running. I'm sure there are somewhere. The N64 used to be as active as DS Homebrew I am sure.

Links please. Sounds like you're just guessing though.

I dunno about games but there are apps. And that is what I am interested in running. I'm sure there are somewhere. The N64 used to be as active as DS Homebrew I am sure.

You might want to try this one.

--Selgus

Okay, thanks. All I see of any significance at all (not much) is a music player, same as I found too. Is this all you (Bowser) were referring to? I mostly question your statement that the N64 homebrew scene used to be as active as the DS homebrew scene. I still highly suspect you're just guessing about all of this. Unless by apps, you mean demos. But demos aren't apps, so I don't think that's what you meant. The N64 scene is pretty dry.

Edited by Mirage1972

Yep, I did the Google searches before I replied to begin with. Mostly, I'm looking for Bowser's information on this, specifically. As in the other thread, if he provides more information, he can get more specific help. The more general the questions and info, the less help he can expect to be able to get.

Bowser, please give more specific information on what specific games or apps you're trying to run. Provide links to information about them. Then, we can possibly help. Trying to help here, but you have to help us help you.

Yep, I did the Google searches before I replied to begin with. Mostly, I'm looking for Bowser's information on this, specifically. As in the other thread, if he provides more information, he can get more specific help. The more general the questions and info, the less help he can expect to be able to get.

Bowser, please give more specific information on what specific games or apps you're trying to run. Provide links to information about them. Then, we can possibly help. Trying to help here, but you have to help us help you.

well there are lots of editors for n64 games. They are designed to be used with n64 emulators not so much on real hardware, but assuming there is some type of flash card out there you probably could use them with a real n64. I think you would need one of the n64 disk drive things which cost a fortune to even begin doing anything with real hardware, but I could be wrong. I know it's possible to load small things with a Gameshark/PC and Mario 64 cart, but that really limits the size of your homebrew to the memory capacity of a game save.

I seriously doubt there was ever a homebrew scene like the Nintendo DS on the N64. LIke someone said the internet was still a baby back then, not to mention the DS has flashcards available for less than 10 dollars and the DS is the most popular platform in the world. I can see where Bowser draws the comparison since the DS and N64 are close to the same level of technical hardware power, but the poor n64 was born too early for a homebrew scene to develop.

If you want to do homebrew it would probably be cheaper (and certainly easier) to just pick up a used DS and buy a flashcart with micro sd for 20 dollars.... even cheaper route get yourself a GBA SP or micro and linker card. LIke someone said the Saturn is the easiest console to do homebrew and a ton of games for that one too. The n64 is a great console but it is not a good choice for homebrew.

That's good info, which is all as I was figuring. Again though, what I'm asking for is more info from Bowser. I think the info you guys have provided so far should help give him a little more direction hopefully. Still want to know specifically what it is that he's trying to do, something specific that he's seen or whatever.

Again, I totally agree that the N64 wouldn't be good for homebrew or messing with at all, really. Unless you're really into it and are a pioneer and a masochist, none of which Bowser is, clearly.

A while back I wanted to do hardware homebrew stuff for the N64, and everything was really expensive. There are European things that were for sale, such as Zip drives that sat on top of the console that in theory would have let you save a complete game from a cart and then back again, in theory. Thing was, it was more than the cost of 2 or 3 consoles just to get the zip thing and iirc it was better if you modded the system, and also it was PAL.

Warriors, the disk drive was the DD64, and it used proprietary disks that were made by Nin and no blanks, so it couldn't have been used for much if anything, imho. And extremely expensive, it's one of those Holy Grails of the Nintendo world for collectors.

The bottom slots on the various consoles have always intrigued me, and I find these things out by doing lots of obsessive research.

So I'm sticking to the clear plastic cases and LEDs for now for the N64. The rest of it is just too darned expensive to play with (cart readers, circuit boards, proprietary chips, roms and associated burners, RAMBUS) :(

It's DC and now Saturn (it has a cool little expansion slot in the rear, totally un-loved) for me!!

Nathan

/EDIT Here's a link to the Z64

Edited by nathanallan

A while back I wanted to do hardware homebrew stuff for the N64, and everything was really expensive. There are European things that were for sale, such as Zip drives that sat on top of the console that in theory would have let you save a complete game from a cart and then back again, in theory. Thing was, it was more than the cost of 2 or 3 consoles just to get the zip thing and iirc it was better if you modded the system, and also it was PAL.

Warriors, the disk drive was the DD64, and it used proprietary disks that were made by Nin and no blanks, so it couldn't have been used for much if anything, imho. And extremely expensive, it's one of those Holy Grails of the Nintendo world for collectors.

The bottom slots on the various consoles have always intrigued me, and I find these things out by doing lots of obsessive research.

So I'm sticking to the clear plastic cases and LEDs for now for the N64. The rest of it is just too darned expensive to play with (cart readers, circuit boards, proprietary chips, roms and associated burners, RAMBUS) :(

It's DC and now Saturn (it has a cool little expansion slot in the rear, totally un-loved) for me!!

Nathan

/EDIT Here's a link to the Z64

there was someone on AA who modified their DD64 to take flash carts (either compact flash or SD I don't remember). I suppose that could theoretically be used for homebrew, but I believe they are mainly used for pirating purposes.

I just got rid of an Ultra64 SGI GIO board, which basically was the original developers kit we used to make N64 games. It was a full N64 on a board, that needed to be fit inside an Indy, and used IRIX, so it was pretty high-end. If you had an Indy and the talents, that board could have been a real treat to hackers.

--Selgus

You might want to try this one.

--Selgus

Okay, thanks. All I see of any significance at all (not much) is a music player, same as I found too. Is this all you (Bowser) were referring to? I mostly question your statement that the N64 homebrew scene used to be as active as the DS homebrew scene. I still highly suspect you're just guessing about all of this. Unless by apps, you mean demos. But demos aren't apps, so I don't think that's what you meant. The N64 scene is pretty dry.

Well, I was only ASSUMING that people made homebrew. I just got into homebrew and have been using DS Homebrew about 3 years, and are about to move to PSP Homebrew. So I assumed that OLDER systems had the same activeness of homebrew development, back in the day. Sorry if I made an error in my calculations.

You must understand I am fairly new to homebrew and have no clue how applications are to be found and things. I have DS Homebrew and am checking into PSP Homebrew. I am a homebrew user, not a developer. Not yet at least. Please go easy on me, I don't know what details to provide in my queries. I want to know what kind of homebrew running device I should get for N64, mostly, also I really want a text editor for N64. Because my N64 lives in the room of mine you see, and since my parents lamely don't let me have a PC in my room, and I like to write stories, I would rather have an editor on my N64 that can save text files to a memory card, and what not. Some type of computer access would also be nice, so that I can save the TXT files to my computer. The computer I use for writing, which so happens to be the one I am typing this on, is clear across the house and inconvenient for me to walk so far every time I want to write. It would be awesome to use my N64 for something useful, as mom loves to point out that I play games on it a lot, which, I don't really play as often as she thinks. Know what I mean? Also a music player would be great too. But isn't that what my PSP is for.

Edited by Bowser N64

Okay, now that's better information. You have to understand that your second post was wildly unclear about what info you already had. You were kinda vaguely implying that you knew of apps for the N64, but you didn't... you were guessing, as I suspected by your wording.

My advice then is going to be that you're barking up the wrong tree. Unless you're just rabidly set on developing something specifically for the N64, I'd stay away from it for your purposes. It just wouldn't be worth it. You'd be spending a lot of time and money for something that just doesn't suit your purposes very well. Also not good solutions, but far better than this, would be getting a DreamCast or PS2 with keyboard and installing Linux on it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_for_PlayStation_2

http://www.linuxdevices.com/articles/AT7466555948.html

Now, you might say that you're basically then, putting a computer in your room. You're right, but no more than you would be with an N64 and presumably a keyboard. Unless you were going to try to use an N64 with an on-screen keyboard. Crazy!

The best thing though would be for you to just have a talk with your parents if you haven't already tried, and tell them that you want to write stories and whatnot, and that's all you want a computer for. Maybe they would understand and just let you get one. Even an old P2/P3, or heck, even a 386/486... a C64, whatever... would work better for your purpose, and would be far cheaper.

I know I didn't answer your actual questions, but this is honestly the best advice I can give for what you want. I really don't think going the N64 route is the right option. Always try to use the best tool for the job. I will let others who have experience guide you down the path of hardware devices to homebrew on the N64... I'm not sure how set on doing that just for a fun project you are, or if you just want the best solution for your writing.

Good luck!

P.S. I should note that there have been several projects to get Linux running on the N64, but as far as I know, none have been very successful, and certainly none as user friendly as the DC/PS2 options.

Edited by Mirage1972

You must understand I am fairly new to homebrew and have no clue how applications are to be found and things. I have DS Homebrew and am checking into PSP Homebrew. I am a homebrew user, not a developer. Not yet at least. Please go easy on me, I don't know what details to provide in my queries. I want to know what kind of homebrew running device I should get for N64, mostly, also I really want a text editor for N64. Because my N64 lives in the room of mine you see, and since my parents lamely don't let me have a PC in my room, and I like to write stories, I would rather have an editor on my N64 that can save text files to a memory card, and what not. Some type of computer access would also be nice, so that I can save the TXT files to my computer. The computer I use for writing, which so happens to be the one I am typing this on, is clear across the house and inconvenient for me to walk so far every time I want to write. It would be awesome to use my N64 for something useful, as mom loves to point out that I play games on it a lot, which, I don't really play as often as she thinks. Know what I mean? Also a music player would be great too. But isn't that what my PSP is for.

it seem's to me it would be ALOT easier if you got a keyboard for your PSP and you could probably use the PSP to write your stories and save them to flash to transfer to a computer later.