IGNORED

Best home version of Donkey Kong?

Ransom

201 members have voted

1. 1. Which home system had the best version of Donkey Kong?

• Atari 2600
    • Atari 7800
    • Colecovision
    • Intellivision
    • NES / Famicom
    • Apple ][
    • Atari 8-bit
    • Commodore 64
    • ZX Spectrum
    • Coleco Tabletop
    • Nintendo Game + Watch
    • Other (explain below)

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

What about the Nintendo 25th anniversary edition version that came with the special edition Red Wii that came out the other year? It was the nes version of Donkey Kong, but with the pie factory level added back in.
really? I did not know that. I wonder if the rom can be extracted and used in an emulator or on a Powerpack flash cart? Was this a VC download or did it come packed in with another game?

Yes, it's called Donkey Kong Original Edition. The file is dkoe.nes.

You didn't put the gameboy on that! I love that game. Its not an exact port but its a great donkey kong game.

I don't think they count it... it's too recent, and not really a conversion in the strictest sense. Great game, but it's probably more accurate to consider it an early precursor to the Mario vs. Donkey Kong series.

Yes, it's called Donkey Kong Original Edition. The file is dkoe.nes.

Screw it man, I just give it. See attached. :P

That being said it really is a nice version of Donkey Kong and even has the animation of Kong picking up Pauline after each level, etc., but since it's so nice it makes it's shortcomings all the more annoying since it is so CLOSE. :lol: :mad:

- Pie factory.. looks great, but only fireballs don't care which side of the barrel you're on (they're supposed to come out on the same side you're on). Also, more than 1 fireball comes out on the first stage (it's supposed to be 1 fireball per stage level). It doesn't seem to make much of a difference and in the grand scheme of things it doesn't. But it changes any strategy for the stage and just makes it a pretty much random dash to the top.

- 1st falling barrel on the ramps stage never changes (it always just drops straight down)

- Elevators dont seem to change speed on the 2nd level. I don't recall the 3rd level though.

Donkey Kong Original Edition.zip

Edited by NE146
  • Like 1

really? I did not know that. I wonder if the rom can be extracted and used in an emulator or on a Powerpack flash cart? Was this a VC download or did it come packed in with another game?

I believe the rom is floating around out there somewhere.

My understanding is that the game came pre-installed on the wii hard drive but was played as though it were a vc download.

is a nice version of Donkey Kong and even has the animation of Kong picking up Pauline after each level, etc., but since it's so nice it makes it's shortcomings all the more annoying since it is so CLOSE. :lol: :mad:

You're not going to be happy until Opcode releases Donkey Kong Arcade on ColecoVision, are you? ;)

Why the hell is the Colecovision version beating the NES version

most people, myself included could not get passed the level being removed. but now that I found out it has been redone and I have played it on my nes with a flashcart, I changed my vote to out the nes version at the top along with the N64 version as mini-game inside Donkey Kong 64

most people, myself included could not get passed the level being removed.

But the "pie factory" level was removed in many (most?) home console/computer ports of the time, including the ColecoVision's port. I think the CV port is getting more votes than the NES port because of nostalgia; i.e., it was the best port available on a pre-crash console in the US; and the pre-crash era is when DK was most relevant (because it was still a fairly new game at the time). The CV port was amazing at the time, and that feeling of amazement burned into folks' brains during a time when DK was still a huge arcade hit isn't easily swayed by a better version becoming available on a "newfangled" console from the Far East in 1986.

• Like 1

I had not noticed the missing level in the coleco version, I actually never really played it that much to notice...what about the adam version?

I don't understand why it was left out on ANY version. makes no damn sense, especially for the NES when they came out with the dual cart of DK & DKJr... so memory clearly was not an issue, so why? why leave that level out?

I had not noticed the missing level in the coleco version, I actually never really played it that much to notice...what about the adam version?

The Adam version has all 4 levels. However, the 2010 Wii/VC/NES version is still superior for the following reasons:

1. The Adam version is missing a girder on both the barrels and the fireballs stages.

2. The Adam version has that weird glitch ("feature"?) where you have to press up twice when climbing a ladder if you want to climb it quickly.

3. The Adam version has no springs on the elevator stages.

4. The Adam version has no animation when you destroy things with your hammer (if I remember right)

5. The NES version has better graphics and audio.

I don't understand why it was left out on ANY version. makes no damn sense, especially for the NES when they came out with the dual cart of DK & DKJr... so memory clearly was not an issue, so why? why leave that level out?

It was a memory issue when originally released on the NES in 1983 (in Japan). Memory wasn't an issue when it was released in the US a few years later; they were just too lazy to add the missing level into a game that they'd already released. "Memory issue" typically applies to all other ports that are missing a level as well.

The ADAM Computer SuperGame version is my favorite and "nostalgia" does play a big factor... I must admit. Concerning your points:

1. I always hated that a girder was missing from the barrels and fireballs stage.

2. The "weird" glitch in fact was purposely programmed into the game as far as I have heard.

3. There ARE springs in the elevator level.

4. Would have to recheck concerning the animation issue when you destroy things with the hammer.

most people, myself included could not get passed the level being removed.

But the "pie factory" level was removed in many (most?) home console/computer ports of the time, including the ColecoVision's port. I think the CV port is getting more votes than the NES port because of nostalgia; i.e., it was the best port available on a pre-crash console in the US; and the pre-crash era is when DK was most relevant (because it was still a fairly new game at the time). The CV port was amazing at the time, and that feeling of amazement burned into folks' brains during a time when DK was still a huge arcade hit isn't easily swayed by a better version becoming available on a "newfangled" console from the Far East in 1986.

Exactly. People weren't playing Donkey Kong in 1986. They were playing Super Mario Bros. The Coleco version was released in 1982 and it was the first home port at the time. If I was Japanese then maybe the 1983 Famicom port would get my vote, but as a North American I have to go with Coleco.

Trying to understand the 80's video game and computer industry does leave you scratching your head. So much of what they did doesn't make any sense.

Trying to understand the 80's video game and computer industry does leave you scratching your head. So much of what they did doesn't make any sense.

Easy to say now. Harder to say when you're living in the times, still trying to figure out what exactly does make sense in a relatively new industry. :)

For me the new NES version is obviously the best "home port" (aside from the N64 of course).. but it has an advantage that it came out later. I'll second the notion that the Colecovision version, is THE VERSION that blew our total minds out of our heads when we saw it. And mind you, the Atari 8-biy version wasn't out yet either. You have to realize at that point in time seeing ANYTHING that looked even remotely close to the arcade game on a home tv was nothing short of pure amazement and wonder. We're all so jaded now, but back then it was friggin something special to see, and this is the exact page that made me realize that newer, better vids were coming out :)

post-31-0-79601100-1332813568_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

2. The Adam version has that weird glitch ("feature"?) where you have to press up twice when climbing a ladder if you want to climb it quickly.

Every version of Donkey Kong should have that 'glitch'. I got spoiled by it playing the CV version. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the new one for the Coleco Super Expansion Module will have that feature or an option to turn it on. :)

• Like 1

It's a feature! The Coleco versions also have a neat game play aspect where you can drop down a short distance on the elevator stage platforms by just walking over the edge, instead of jumping. I think both of these elements add to the gameplay of the Coleco versions.

3. The Adam version has no springs on the elevator stages.

Adam version does have springs.

4. The Adam version has no animation when you destroy things with your hammer (if I remember right)

5. The NES version has better graphics and audio.

I honestly like the audio better in the ColecoVision version over that of Adam or NES, with the exception of the title screen music on the NES version which is nice. The hammer animation is indeed something the NES does better.

They are both very good versions, but I was playing ColecoVision Donkey Kong for 4 years before I had even heard of Nintendo.

It was a memory issue when originally released on the NES in 1983 (in Japan). Memory wasn't an issue when it was released in the US a few years later; they were just too lazy to add the missing level into a game that they'd already released. "Memory issue" typically applies to all other ports that are missing a level as well.

It was more a money issue. They had the memory capability but they were too cheap to use just a little bit more. And then after it was just laziness.

I had no idea the colecovision version came out before the 2600 version. I was an arcade kid, I NEVER messed with consoles and besides, my family could not afford them. my half brother had a 2600 though and I literally came out of the arcade and went to visit him, he had donkey kong and I remember my reaction to this very day.... "IT SUUUUUCKED"... man I hated that thing so much. ugh. but like I said I was literally playing the real thing hours beforehand

had I seen the colecovision version I would have flipped out. I did flip out many years later when I did finally see it. the colecovision blew it out of the water.

2. The "weird" glitch in fact was purposely programmed into the game as far as I have heard.

If that's true then it is a "feature". It wouldn't be bad if Jumpman could climb the ladder at a normal arcade speed simply by holding up on the joystick, but he climbs super slow when you do that. This is an arbitrary deviation from the arcade style of gameplay, and as such, it is weird whether it was intentional or not.

3. There ARE springs in the elevator level.

Where are they (jump to 3:23 time code)?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1DsIUVmzoI

4. Would have to recheck concerning the animation issue when you destroy things with the hammer.

I checked after I made that post; no animation when destroying things with the hammer; whatever you hammer simply disappears. Also, the hammer makes you invincible, even if your back is turned to the enemy. That's another flaw.

Adam version does have springs.

Interesting. The video I watched (see above) has no springs. Is it a difficulty level thing? My cousin had an Adam when I was a kid, but it was about 1985 when I last played it.

Edit: It looks like that video I linked to above isn't actually the Adam version, but rather a prototype ColecoVision version? I didn't know such a thing existed.

It was more a money issue. They had the memory capability but they were too cheap to use just a little bit more.
Yes. Six of one, half dozen of the other. Edited by MaximRecoil

There are three version of Donkey Kong for the ColecoVision Game System that were/are available on cartridge:

:arrow: The original release in 1982 that is 24K in size

:arrow: The updated version, that tried to correct some issues as well as decrease the amount of rom chips needed, released sometime in 1983 and that is 16K in size

:arrow: The In-House Coleco prototype called Super DK that has the video linked in Post #173 which includes numerous enhancements and the 4th level - Mario's Pie Factory. This cartridge was 32K in size. Through the years many thought this was the creation of a very talented hacker, but indeed it was done by a programmer at Coleco probably during the lead-up to the release of the ADAM Computer or shortly after.

All the above ColecoVision cartridges DO NOT have the springs in the 3rd level - Elevators.

Then there is the ADAM Computer version of Donkey Kong - The Super Game for use only on the ADAM Computer that was provided in beautiful Arcade Cabinet style boxes on Digital Data Pack (no official disk version was ever released by Coleco, a programmer converted the DDP to Disk format in 1986). This version contains all the screens, intermissions, Hall of Fame, blue coloed girders on the 2nd level - Fireballs and most importantly... the springs in the 3rd level - Elevators.

There were plans for a 5 Screen version of Donkey Kong - The Super Game for the ADAM Computer, but Nintendo squashed Coleco's plans in order to protect their intellectual property. Quite possibly, someone has or had a copy of this version, but unlike the unreleased 5 screen version of Donkey Kong Junior - The Super Game, no one that I know of was ever lucky enough to acquire it.

if you play any Coleco version of this game, do yourself a favor and start on at least Skill Level #3.

Now I have to try out this "new" NES version.

• Like 1