IGNORED

Hi! question about the Atari - Jr. Pac-Man discovered!

FrauBlucha

Ok, Real big note here for anyone programming that will use the HSC: Always initialize the joystick/console switches before calling the HSC routines or it will sporadically crash. You can do it like this:

LDA #$00

STA CTLSWA ;(CTLSWA is set to $281)

STA CTLSWB ;(CTLSWB is set to $283)

When I did this, I was able to take out most of the 'other' fixes I put in to keep the HSC from crashing upon input. Haven't been able to get it to crash since. I also put the display back (I had taken it out originally) right after you enter your initials.

Ugh.

Also, just for kicks, I made a 'newer' version of the Stand-Alone version of Ms. Pac-Man that is closer to the arcade than the original 7800 version:

1) All maze dots are present (the original 7800 version has a shorter maze by 1 row).

2) All 4 maze colors are now like the arcade.

3) Changed the Ms. Pac-Man graphic (left the monsters alone, though).

4) Implemented a smoother way of slowing the player down while eating dots.

5) High Score Cart now shows the Ms. Pac-Man logo instead of just text. It uses a different cart value than the original.

I actually did this while testing Jr. Pac, to see if it was something outside of the HSC routine affecting it.

Final (really) RC7 of Jr. Pac-Man and my 'updated' Ms. Pac attached below.

Good Morning!

Hey, will these "updates" to Mrs Pacman be implemented into the "Pac Man Collection" Cartridge version and if so is there a way to have the one I have already purchased updated to the latest version?

Thanks, and as always..you're the man!!!!

AdeptRapier

:)

I actually have the debugger for MESS, but I need to have the high score emulated and neither MESS nor ProSystem do. emu7800 does, but (no disrespect) that emulator is too much of a pain to use.

Well looks like you already fixed your issue. But what I was saying was that I have source code changes to MESS that allow it to use the HSC cart. That's how I got it working with A7800x. But I do not have a compile environment set up for MESS so someone else would have to take the source code changes and compile MESS with the debug stuff turned on.

On a side note. In the modified ms-pac the levels after baby pac makes his appearance the ghosts have trouble finding their way back to the home base when the player eats them. They just go around in circles on the top right half of the screen.

Edited by Shannon

Hey, will these "updates" to Mrs Pacman be implemented into the "Pac Man Collection" Cartridge version and if so is there a way to have the one I have already purchased updated to the latest version?

Thanks, and as always..you're the man!!!!

AdeptRapier

:)

Hi - and thanks!

No I won't be modifying PMC - this was just a side thing I did while working on Jr. Pac to see if the HSC worked in another game. :)

Well looks like you already fixed your issue. But what I was saying was that I have source code changes to MESS that allow it to use the HSC cart. That's how I got it working with A7800x. But I do not have a compile environment set up for MESS so someone else would have to take the source code changes and compile MESS with the debug stuff turned on.

On a side note. In the modified ms-pac the levels after baby pac makes his appearance the ghosts have trouble finding their way back to the home base when the player eats them. They just go around in circles on the top right half of the screen.

Cool! I haven't compiled MESS in years. It would be great to have the HSC supported there :)

Regarding Ms. Pac... Hmmm... that's odd, I didn't change any AI; I wonder if that happens in the original game? OH!!! I know what it is - it's the 'missing row' I added back in. That must change the distance algorithm when figuring out what direction to take back to the monster pen. Hmph! I'll take a quick look at that tonight. :)

Bob

Edited by PacManPlus

I fixed this. I had to change the 'goal' of the eyes to be two spaces to the left, and two zones down. :| I wonder why this didn't happen in the original version... Attached.

mspacman.A78

mspacman.bin

I fixed this. I had to change the 'goal' of the eyes to be two spaces to the left, and two zones down. :| I wonder why this didn't happen in the original version... Attached.

Awesome, Bob. Thanks for sharing this hack. I must say between this one and the Pac-Man Collection version, here's my opinion:

1) All maze dots are present (the original 7800 version has a shorter maze by 1 row).

Better than PMC.

Better than PMC.

Ms. Pac-Man graphic = Better than PMC / Ghosts Graphics = Better in PMC

Better than PMC.

If possible, can you add in the PMC ghosts to this version? Then just two other touches so it's more like the Arcade: 1. Reverse the direction of the cherry (Like in PMC) 2. Reduce the number of lives you start with 3 instead of 5.

If not, and you're done, I completely understand. Just thought I would throw this out there for this "2009 Arcade Hack".

Pac-Man Collection is a work of art and I love it. However, I must say this version of Ms. Pac-Man for the 7800 may very well be the definite "Arcade" one for me with the above changes.

-Trebor

EDIT: P.S. I was actually wondering and hoping for something like this once I saw the Intermissions in Jr. Pac-Man. I thought to my self that Ms. Pac-Man looked proportionally sized more like the Arcade port as does Pac-Man. Again, Pac-Man Collection is phenominal and I love it, but do think both Pac and Ms. Pac were slightly too "small". Regardless, Bob your creations never cease to amaze!

Edited by Trebor

Holy cow, I stopped reading the thread a month ago...and I missed all the hooha! I've read the complete thread, and I'm just....YIKES, PUT ME ON THE DAMN LIST, BOB!!!! PLEASE!!!! I WANT ONE!!!! And I haven't even tested one of the RCs yet!

BTW -- I didn't notice this mentioned anywhere in the thread, but will this cart be compatible with the high score savey thingies???

Edited by Dauber

Yeah I'm a little late to this thread too.. so I haven't read all of it. But the question on my mind is does this have a speed cheat where Jr. Pac moves faster? To me that's the only thing that makes the arcade game (and the hacked 5200 version) playable & enjoyable.. the speed cheat :P

Good thing about it is when it comes to Jr. Pacman, the game still remains challenging due to the size of the mazes. :)

Yeah I'm a little late to this thread too.. so I haven't read all of it. But the question on my mind is does this have a speed cheat where Jr. Pac moves faster?

Controlled by the difficulty switches, there is both a speed up function (Normal to fast) and more lives function (3 to 5).

Awesome, Bob. Thanks for sharing this hack. I must say between this one and the Pac-Man Collection version, here's my opinion:

Better than PMC.

Better than PMC.

Ms. Pac-Man graphic = Better than PMC / Ghosts Graphics = Better in PMC

Better than PMC.

If possible, can you add in the PMC ghosts to this version? Then just two other touches so it's more like the Arcade: 1. Reverse the direction of the cherry (Like in PMC) 2. Reduce the number of lives you start with 3 instead of 5.

If not, and you're done, I completely understand. Just thought I would throw this out there for this "2009 Arcade Hack".

Pac-Man Collection is a work of art and I love it. However, I must say this version of Ms. Pac-Man for the 7800 may very well be the definite "Arcade" one for me with the above changes.

-Trebor

EDIT: P.S. I was actually wondering and hoping for something like this once I saw the Intermissions in Jr. Pac-Man. I thought to my self that Ms. Pac-Man looked proportionally sized more like the Arcade port as does Pac-Man. Again, Pac-Man Collection is phenominal and I love it, but do think both Pac and Ms. Pac were slightly too "small". Regardless, Bob your creations never cease to amaze!

Hey Trebor:

Thank you for all of your compliments. :)

Here are the changes you requested. One thing, though... Regarding point #1, I had done the same thing to Pac-Man Collection, so those should be the same. It's the original 7800 version of Ms. Pac-Man that has the 'missing row'. :)

Bob

mspacman.A78

mspacman.bin

Edited by PacManPlus

Here are the changes you requested. One thing, though... Regarding point #1, I had done the same thing to Pac-Man Collection, so those should be the same. It's the original 7800 version of Ms. Pac-Man that has the 'missing row'. :)

Bob

Wow, Bob...I am floored and very grateful...thank you, thank you, thank you!

This is perfect.

-Trebor

I've lurked here for years but this is my first post...

I was compelled to register an account today just so I could say what an awesome port this is. I still play the "real" Jr. Pac-Man on MAME a few times a month, and this is probably the best emulation of an arcade game I've ever seen. This is just really high-quality work, and I wanted to say how much I appreciate the effort.

--Will

*UPDATE*

Thanks to jwierer and Shawn Sr.,

I found a very elusive bug that would (depending on the revision of the 7800) make the console think the HSC is plugged in when it isn't. *CRASH*

Here is the fixed version.

Also got a case of the 'might-as-wells' and updated the Ms. Pac-Man bitmap to match the Ms. Pac-Man update in the '7800 Hacks' forum. That bin also suffered from the same fate, so you might want to grab that one as well.

Thanks,

Bob

JRPAC_78.A78

jrpac_78.bin

*UPDATE*

Thanks to jwierer and Shawn Sr.,

I found a very elusive bug that would (depending on the revision of the 7800) make the console think the HSC is plugged in when it isn't. *CRASH*

Here is the fixed version.

Also got a case of the 'might-as-wells' and updated the Ms. Pac-Man bitmap to match the Ms. Pac-Man update in the '7800 Hacks' forum. That bin also suffered from the same fate, so you might want to grab that one as well.

Thanks,

Bob

Happy to read about the fix...job well done jwierer and Shawn Sr....And of course, Bob.

Honestly, I'm very happy to see the updated Ms. Pac-Man made it into this release...Although I wish the circumstances were better. :D

-Trebor

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...